"Can Essential Fatty Acid Deficiency Predispose To AIDS?"

grenade

I stumbled upon an old article from the '80s that proposes a view of EFAs contrarian to most of what's found on the forums - as essential for immunity.

The article is titled "Can essential fatty acid deficiency predispose to AIDS?"

Original publication.
NCBI article.

Here's a particularly interesting excerpt from the piece:

"Kohn and colleagues showed the linoleic acid and arachidonic acid can inactivate animal herpes, influenza, Sendai and Sindbis viruses within minutes of contact. Schlager and associates demonstrated that peritoneal macrophages in mice can be activated by linolenic acid and that linolenic-acid-enriched macrophages are markedly tumouricidal; they conclusively proved that lymphokine activation of macrophages is due to an increase in their linolenic acid content to about two to three times control values. My colleagues and I showed that the genetic damage induced by radiation and benzo[a]pyrene in mice can be prevented or reversed by y-linolenic acid. Hence, it is conceivable that a lack or deficiency of linoleic and y-linolenic acid in a person can lead to failure of virus inactivation during viral infections, that macrophage activation may not occur and that genetic damage due to these viruses and other agents cannot be reversed or prevented. As a result, immunodeficiency may occur, and viruses may proliferate and cause genetic damage leading to the activation of oncogenes and cancer."

It's interesting to me, because during the "peak" of my "Peat" eating, where my PUFA was under 3 grams a day, I experienced treatment-resistant plantar warts and a much higher rate of cold & flu infections.

Now that my PUFA consumption has increased, I get sick way less and haven't had another bout of warts.

I'd like to know too. I posted somewhere some similar modern study. They say PUFA disturbs viral replication.

I’ve spoken about Roy Swank and his patients in the past who reported better hair, skin, resistance to cold and common illnesses on his regiment of high PLANT PUFA (cold, not cooked) and cod liver oil

my skin is drier in the absence of Linoleic and gets worse with high arachidonic

tissue accumulation of PUFA isn’t driven by excess linoleic intake, I’ve already shared the study but here goes...

Allometric scaling of dietary linoleic acid on changes in tissue arachidonic acid using human equivalent diets in mice

There’s a massively mistaken hatred on any and all PUFAs by many people online.

haidut

Forum Supporter
All epidemiology does is confirming that those guys who eat more PUFA eat more junk food. Unhealthy user bias @haidut you can’t seriously quote one epidemiology study (nor any type of rodent science, for that matter) and jump to such conclusions. That’s what people do to “prove” saturated fat is bad. Be better than that

if all PUFAs were causative then interventional studies would confirm that. As I shared - arachidonic increases tissue content, linoleic does not.

Hugh Johnson

The hypothesis proposed by OP could be correct. Humans make prostaglandins for a reason. However, there has probably never been a PUFA deficient person on this planet unless those stories of spiritual masters who have not eaten for decades are true, so this hypothesis is completely irrelevant to everyone.

well this confirms my point. Non human studies say dietary PUFAs are bad, human interventions say they don’t matter.

the pilot study had the following diet which reversed early NAFLD...

Patients underwent a six-month dietary intervention. The diet was matched according to the calorie needs of each patient. It helped to reduce weight in obese patients and stabilize both dyslipidemia and glucose concentration. Protein intake was 1.0 g/kg body weight per day. More than 50% of the protein came from fish and dietary products. The diet contained approximately 30 g of fiber. The types of vegetables and fruit were matched according to the vitamin and mineral needs of each patient. The amount of vitamins and minerals covered the reference daily intake of the Polish population. Sodium chloride intake was 5 g/24 h. The type of fat included in the diet was easy to digest, such as cream, butter, oil or milk. Energy from fat ranged from 20 to 35% of the energy intake. In order to meet the demand for omega- 3 and omega-6 fatty acids, two servings of fatty fish per week (200–300 g/week) were recommended in each diet. The recommended fish had more than 0.7 g of omega-3 fatty acids/100 g of fish meat, and included salmon, sardines, mackerel, tuna, herring and trout. The total omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids consumption was approximately 0.5% E for omega-3 and 4% E for omega-6. Carbohydrate intake, differed depending on the needs of the patient, and ranged between 50 and 65%. The amount of sugar was reduced to 10% of the basal metabolic rate. The diet composition and energy intake were estimated and controlled using 72-h food diaries

please note how >50% carbs REVERSED fatty liver. That’s useful if you know some keto zealots. Not sure what kind of sugar they’re talking about

schultz

Non human studies say dietary PUFAs are bad, human interventions say they don’t matter.

Science has shown that PUFAs are clearly causal (at least partially) in all degenerative diseaeses, so-called autoimmune diseases, cancer and diabetes. The amount of research showing this is astounding.

PaRa

Science has shown that PUFAs are clearly causal (at least partially) in all degenerative diseaeses, so-called autoimmune diseases, cancer and diabetes. The amount of research showing this is astounding.

He said dietary PUFAs, what he means is like dietary glucose doesn’t directly leads to diabetes or whatever linked to bad glucose handling

schultz

He said dietary PUFAs, what he means is like dietary glucose doesn’t directly leads to diabetes or whatever linked to bad glucose handling

You'll have to pardon me, but you've confused me a bit. Who do you mean when you say "He"?

schultz

Sorry
I was refering to the last post of milkbasedvegan

Oh okay, I think I got confused because I think of that person as a "She" and you said "He".

I understand what you're saying now. I had to go back and read what she said. I do think dietary PUFA's are causative in all the things I said above.

if all PUFAs were causative then interventional studies would confirm that.

I don't think there has been a long term very low PUFA interventional study in humans. Human studies are very difficult to do properly, this is why animal studies are better in many ways because they can be controlled to a high degree.

Kingpinguin

The hypothesis proposed by OP could be correct. Humans make prostaglandins for a reason. However, there has probably never been a PUFA deficient person on this planet unless those stories of spiritual masters who have not eaten for decades are true, so this hypothesis is completely irrelevant to everyone.

I conclude with hugh. PUFA as prostaglandins have a role in human biology. But you don’t need fish oil or seed oils etc. Eat food like they appear naturally and you have the PUFA you need for the small functions they might have in immunity without getting sick. Fatty fish etc should be eaten very rarely. You get lots of
Omega 3 from whole milk, beef and eggs. Same with omega 6 etc. No need to eat poisonous extracted oils. And that is what is toxic. They are processed.
If you eat natural foods like almomds for example that are very high in vit E and eat seafood occasionally I Think there’s positive things you can get from these foods.

Ihor

That’s all, now that this sacred information has been exposed, all Peters for the prevention of AIDS should start taking sunflower oil again, and those who are already sick should start to be treated with its increased quantities. Stop, but how could it happen that most, if not all, who have become ill with AIDS have consumed PUFAs all their lives?:dohExactly, they just ate too little PUFA.:thumbup:

science has shown that a dietary PUFA like linoleic acid isn’t increasing tissue PUFA in human interventions

science has shown that people who eat ***t junk food have excess tissue prostaglandins. It’s not because of linoleic acid or ALA from nuts and seeds lmfao

I don't think there has been a long term very low PUFA interventional study in humans. Human studies are very difficult to do properly, this is why animal studies are better in many ways because they can be controlled to a high degree.

6 months is good enough, read the quote from the human study I cited. 4.5% of calories, reversing liver disease

Roy swank is the perfect counter example to all this dietary linoleic acid causes excess tissue prostaglandin nonsense

I for one will pass on the dry skin and hair thanks, and I recommend everyone to make sure they’re eating enough essential fats. Just don’t deep fry in them

Just so that everyone can “perceive, think, act”

there are mountains of “evidence” showing cholesterol (be it dietary or serum) is bad. We all know dietary cholesterol doesn’t cause disease

Piles of “evidence” showing sugar is bad. We all know eating fruit doesn’t cause disease

tons of “evidence” saying meat (red, processed, what have you) is evil. Carnivores laugh at it

Eating beef doesn’t cause iron overload. Eating fruit doesn’t cause NAFLD. Eating eggs doesn’t cause heart attacks. Eating coconut doesn’t cause heart attacks.

why is it so hard to understand that eating PUFAs, from nuts and seeds or heck even their oils ala Swank, doesn’t cause disease?

Why do people from one forum or another blame SuGaR or AniMaL FaTs or PuFaS or ChOlEstErOl or this or that when people gorge on pizzas and ice cream?

Occam's Razor | Leangains

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals