PUFA And MUFA Are Strong Inhibitors Of 5-AR, Saturated Fatty Acids Are Not

lampofred

Peat has said he thinks the 5ar inhibiting effects of coconut oil stop with regular usage

Kray

Yes, the exact reason is that commercial eggs come from chickens fed a soy based diet, so the eggs are relatively high in PUFA. Pasture raised chickens feed on vegetations and insects, and the eggs seem to have at most half the pufa.

Thanks- good to know. I usually buy pasture-raised.

The store where I buy them has this to say about "pasture raised":
Our Pasture Raised label is for a fixed hen house with access to pasture all day. Shade and cover has to accommodate at least 75% of the birds outdoors and be visible from the doors of the house. We require vegetative cover of at least 50% at all times in the pasture so the hens can forage where they are most comfortable, among bushes, trees and tall grass. Beak trimming (infrared method preferred) must preserve functional, natural use of their beaks.

Apparently, the highest level of quality eggs is "Mobile Houses on Pasture":
For our other pasture-raised label, Mobile Houses on Pasture, hens live outdoors with mobile housing for laying eggs, roosting at night and sheltering during storms. The house is moved as needed to ensure continuous access to at least 75% vegetative cover, and to allow the previous area’s vegetation to recover. Cover and shade must accommodate 100% of the birds. Beak trimming is prohibited.

I will check out the latter next time I'm shopping. Not sure if it's worth undoubtedly a higher price than pasture-raised.

Thanks again for the information.

benaoao

My gf swears by coconut oil as a moisturizer for hair and skin and I have to say her skin is flawless (unless we eat industrial food, of course)

A local (skin,hair) 5ar inhibition never sounds like a bad thing.

sladerunner69

Thanks- good to know. I usually buy pasture-raised.

The store where I buy them has this to say about "pasture raised":
Our Pasture Raised label is for a fixed hen house with access to pasture all day. Shade and cover has to accommodate at least 75% of the birds outdoors and be visible from the doors of the house. We require vegetative cover of at least 50% at all times in the pasture so the hens can forage where they are most comfortable, among bushes, trees and tall grass. Beak trimming (infrared method preferred) must preserve functional, natural use of their beaks.

Apparently, the highest level of quality eggs is "Mobile Houses on Pasture":
For our other pasture-raised label, Mobile Houses on Pasture, hens live outdoors with mobile housing for laying eggs, roosting at night and sheltering during storms. The house is moved as needed to ensure continuous access to at least 75% vegetative cover, and to allow the previous area’s vegetation to recover. Cover and shade must accommodate 100% of the birds. Beak trimming is prohibited.

I will check out the latter next time I'm shopping. Not sure if it's worth undoubtedly a higher price than pasture-raised.

Thanks again for the information.

Interesting. I am not sure "mobile houses on pasture" level quality would be economically savvy considering the (probable) diminished returns, as far as the nutritional content of the eggs. 50% vegetative cover sounds like plenty for a hen, I would assume. Yet I am no expert. However, I do believe the most important component is the diet of the birds. Even if birds were kept in cages, and fed a diet of grass and insects, then these would probably be nutritionally good if inhumane.

cellboy

Peat has said he thinks the 5ar inhibiting effects of coconut oil stop with regular usage
And what does he say about 5ar and its related steroids in general? Children must have the highest activity of those enzymes since they're more saturated than adults are.

Kray

Interesting. I am not sure "mobile houses on pasture" level quality would be economically savvy considering the (probable) diminished returns, as far as the nutritional content of the eggs. 50% vegetative cover sounds like plenty for a hen, I would assume. Yet I am no expert. However, I do believe the most important component is the diet of the birds. Even if birds were kept in cages, and fed a diet of grass and insects, then these would probably be nutritionally good if inhumane.

Good points. Egg farmers indicate most hens wouldn't produce quality eggs if left to their own foraging, even if they were completely free from cover or cage; their diet must be supplemented to optimize the protein quality and content of the egg. But I agree that roughly half vegetative cover seems reasonable if they are able to forage on their own as well. I think the humaneness factor of free range/pasture-raised must optimize the quality of the nutritional profile of the egg, since the hen is getting their exercise and not cooped up (no pun!). Same idea as hunter's method of kill as to stress hormones released by the animal and how it relates to the nutritional profile of the meat we eat from that animal?

Thanks for sharing.

lampofred

And what does he say about 5ar and its related steroids in general? Children must have the highest activity of those enzymes since they're more saturated than adults are.

I don't know what he says about 5ar steroids in general but I know he said progesterone goes down the 5ar path more so in the presence of high estrogen. I think 5ar steroids might be "turbo" versions of the normal steroids to fight against stress and estrogen but they are probably pro-survival as opposed to pro-longevity.

cellboy

I don't know what he says about 5ar steroids in general but I know he said progesterone goes down the 5ar path more so in the presence of high estrogen. I think 5ar steroids might be "turbo" versions of the normal steroids to fight against stress and estrogen but they are probably pro-survival as opposed to pro-longevity.
Interesting. So women with higher estrogen(more stress) would more likely produce male offsprings since 5ar is the key enzyme involved in that matter.

GorillaHead

Okay how do these fatty acids inhibit dht though? What mechanism ? Can anyone possibly come up with an idea? I also figure the inhibition would mostly be localized in the skin. Fatty acid uptake seems to be very high in the skin.

anyone?