• @Blossom Is A Blessing To This Community, Let Us Be A Blessing To Her
    Click Here For More Information
  • Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

Blood test results...

asajulian

Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2012
Messages
50
I figured I might as well share my test results that were taken about 3 weeks ago in December.





My concerns are high triglycerides and low cholesterol. Having low cholesterol I have heard is why a person can be unresponsive to thyroid because of not making enough of the steroids. Anyone have any experience with low cholesterol and high triglycerides? Usually the problem people have is high cholesterol! Does anyone have any resources where I can read up on this (its hard to know what web sites to trust...)? I have lots of sugar from various sources, so its not a lack of that. For some reason, the sugar is forming triglycerides instead of cholesterol...

Low phosphate and high calcium, according to Peat, is evidence of increased parathyroid hormone (which I should have got tested as well), which would explain why prolactin is really high.

Vitamin D is still low, I upped my intake to about 6000IU/day.

Anyone have recommendations?
 

asajulian

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 10, 2012
Messages
50
I didn't get the comprehensive panel. I didn't have much money to spend on these labs. My TSH was .007. Oh, and I'm taking about 3 grains of nature-throid per day, but I'm not entirely sure how effective it is.
 

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
12,370
Location
USA
I would say its highly effective seeing what your TSH is, and low total cholesterol.

And if I remember correctly, I read somewhere if the cholesterol is too low, that maybe you are taking too much thyroid.

Doesn't the rest of the numbers look really good though? Myself I would be pretty happy with that, might just need to back off the thyroid a little bit cause it's definitely doing its job.


Dang, I need to get some naturethroid. Obviously it works.
 

asajulian

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 10, 2012
Messages
50
Charlie said:
I would say its highly effective seeing what your TSH is, and low total cholesterol.

And if I remember correctly, I read somewhere if the cholesterol is too low, that maybe you are taking too much thyroid.

Doesn't the rest of the numbers look really good though? Myself I would be pretty happy with that, might just need to back off the thyroid a little bit cause it's definitely doing its job.


Dang, I need to get some naturethroid. Obviously it works.

I'm currently trying dropping down to 1 grain with 25mcg of cytomel (usually half a pill with meals). We'll see if that works. You think the rest of the numbers look good? Prolactin is really high (should be <4) as well as serotonin (should be <25)...

I do wish I got the full thyroid panel with reverse t3 and parathyroid levels. Maybe next time. I used walkinlab.com, they had a december special of 20% off, so I got a really good deal. Their prices are unbeatable by all the self labs I've seen.
 

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
12,370
Location
USA
Sorry, I did not see the serotonin and prolactin. I was looking at the calcium, sodium, etc.
 

asajulian

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 10, 2012
Messages
50
Charlie said:
Sorry, I did not see the serotonin and prolactin. I was looking at the calcium, sodium, etc.

Even the calcium is at the higher end and phosphate is really low. The following is from email correspondence:

Ray Peat said:
High parathyroid hormone will increase calcium and lower phosphate. I regularly use at least two quarts of milk per day, in the past I have averaged a gallon a day, high calcium intake helps to compensate for low vitamin D, but both vitamin D and calcium in the diet tend to lower parathyroid hormone, and the serum calcium level. Quite a few people are now recommending from 2000 to 6000 i.u. of vitamin D3 daily during the winter.

Ray Peat said:
If your vitamin D was very low for a long time, I think your parathyroid glands probably enlarged, and might take some time to normalize under the influence of a generous amount of vitamin D and calcium.
 

nwo2012

Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2012
Messages
1,107
Your cholesterol is most likely low because you have good conversion of it into steroid hormones due to good thyroid function (probably due to NDT and Peatarianism). Triglycerides are a little high but nothing too worrying. Eating fructose does tend to raise triglycerides but as Peatarians we do not believe this is harmful.
I think your Prolactin is a little high. Also Vitamin D is way too low. Might want to supplement some and get more sun too.

Oh yes and serotonin is a bit high but so many factors can raise that, just the stress of having bloods taken so a one off result is probably not too reliable. How long had you fasted before the bloods were taken?
 

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
12,370
Location
USA
asajulian said:
Charlie said:
Sorry, I did not see the serotonin and prolactin. I was looking at the calcium, sodium, etc.

Even the calcium is at the higher end and phosphate is really low. The following is from email correspondence:

Ray Peat said:
High parathyroid hormone will increase calcium and lower phosphate. I regularly use at least two quarts of milk per day, in the past I have averaged a gallon a day, high calcium intake helps to compensate for low vitamin D, but both vitamin D and calcium in the diet tend to lower parathyroid hormone, and the serum calcium level. Quite a few people are now recommending from 2000 to 6000 i.u. of vitamin D3 daily during the winter.

Ray Peat said:
If your vitamin D was very low for a long time, I think your parathyroid glands probably enlarged, and might take some time to normalize under the influence of a generous amount of vitamin D and calcium.

Oh, my bad. :(

Yeh, I probably should not comment on blood tests because I do not know enough yet. Thank you for clearing all that up. Lesson learned today.
 

asajulian

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 10, 2012
Messages
50
nwo2012 said:
Your cholesterol is most likely low because you have good conversion of it into steroid hormones due to good thyroid function (probably due to NDT and Peatarianism). Triglycerides are a little high but nothing too worrying. Eating fructose does tend to raise triglycerides but as Peatarians we do not believe this is harmful.
I think your Prolactin is a little high. Also Vitamin D is way too low. Might want to supplement some and get more sun too.

Oh yes and serotonin is a bit high but so many factors can raise that, just the stress of having bloods taken so a one off result is probably not too reliable. How long had you fasted before the bloods were taken?

I didn't fast at all because it wasn't required. :?
 

asajulian

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 10, 2012
Messages
50
Charlie said:
Oh, my bad. :(

Yeh, I probably should not comment on blood tests because I do not know enough yet. Thank you for clearing all that up. Lesson learned today.

We're all learning. :D
 

nwo2012

Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2012
Messages
1,107
asajulian said:
nwo2012 said:
Your cholesterol is most likely low because you have good conversion of it into steroid hormones due to good thyroid function (probably due to NDT and Peatarianism). Triglycerides are a little high but nothing too worrying. Eating fructose does tend to raise triglycerides but as Peatarians we do not believe this is harmful.
I think your Prolactin is a little high. Also Vitamin D is way too low. Might want to supplement some and get more sun too.

Oh yes and serotonin is a bit high but so many factors can raise that, just the stress of having bloods taken so a one off result is probably not too reliable. How long had you fasted before the bloods were taken?

I didn't fast at all because it wasn't required. :?

That in itself(eating) can show high triglycerides so I wouldnt worry about them at all.
 

Rachel

Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2012
Messages
181
Location
San Antonio, Texas USA - for now
asajulian said:
Low phosphate and high calcium, according to Peat, is evidence of increased parathyroid hormone (which I should have got tested as well), which would explain why prolactin is really high...

Anyone have recommendations?

If you aren't averse to popping another pill for a spell, a run of bromocriptine might be in order to lower prolactin and serotonin.
 

asajulian

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 10, 2012
Messages
50
Rachel said:
asajulian said:
Low phosphate and high calcium, according to Peat, is evidence of increased parathyroid hormone (which I should have got tested as well), which would explain why prolactin is really high...

Anyone have recommendations?

If you aren't averse to popping another pill for a spell, a run of bromocriptine might be in order to lower prolactin and serotonin.

Ray Peat said:
I don't know what effect bromocriptine might have when your phosphate is low, it could make it lower.

I have bromocriptine, but I don't take it. I have no idea what he means in the above statement, but this is part of our email correspondence.
 

asajulian

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 10, 2012
Messages
50
If anyone is interested in more of his wisdom on calcium/vitamin D/PTH. Here is a study he gave me,

Ray Peat said:
This article, below, is representative of a large number of publications on the physiology of the parathyroid gland, and how it's affected by calcium and vitamin D. Other nutritional and hormonal factors (especially phosphate in the diet, and cortisol, prolactin, and thyroid hormones) affect PTH production.

Bone Volume 42, Issue 2, February 2008, Pages 267–270.

Relationship between serum parathyroid hormone, vitamin D sufficiency, age, and calcium intake

Silvano Adami, Ombretta Viapiana, Maurizio Rossini. Luca Idolazzi, Davide Gatti

Vitamin D deficiency is extremely common among elderly subjects and it has been associated with poor bone health, and to a number of other conditions. The ideal 25-hydroxy-vitamin D [25(OH)D] concentration, reflecting the size of vitamin D deposits, are generally retained those not associated with any marginal increase in serum parathyroid hormone (PTH). These threshold values vary considerably and this may be due to the interaction of other factors.The aim of the study is to assess whether age and calcium intake interact with the relationship between 25(OH)D and PTH. Data from a survey on the prevalence of hypovitaminosis D in elderly women in Italy were analysed in order to verify whether age and calcium intake were interfering on the 25(OH)D/PTH relationship.

A total of 697 women were available for analysis. Serum PTH levels were significantly correlated with age, 25(OH)D and calcium intake (p < 0.001) and in a multivariate model they all significantly contributed to explain PTH variance (R2 = 24.4%).
In 39 elderly osteoporotic women on a low calcium intake and given vitamin D supplements (2000–3000 IU daily for > 8 months) able to increase 25(OH)D levels above 110 nMol/l, PTH levels were maintained below 35 pg/mL.
The minimum 25(OH)D levels to be recommended depends largely on the age and the calcium intake. In elderly individuals not taking calcium supplements in order to keep serum PTH levels strictly within the normal range 25(OH)D serum levels should be maintained above ca. 120 nMol/L.

1-s2.0-S8756328207007703-gr1.jpg


Fig. 1. Age adjusted mean serum parathyroid hormone values according to serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D values and calcium intake.
 

Rachel

Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2012
Messages
181
Location
San Antonio, Texas USA - for now
asajulian said:
Ray Peat said:
I don't know what effect bromocriptine might have when your phosphate is low, it could make it lower.

I have bromocriptine, but I don't take it. I have no idea what he means in the above statement, but this is part of our email correspondence.
Wow, that's interesting. I wonder why bromocriptine "could make" your phospate lower... :think:
 

kettlebell

Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2012
Messages
417
Location
UK
Rachel said:
asajulian said:
Ray Peat said:
I don't know what effect bromocriptine might have when your phosphate is low, it could make it lower.

I have bromocriptine, but I don't take it. I have no idea what he means in the above statement, but this is part of our email correspondence.
Wow, that's interesting. I wonder why bromocriptine "could make" your phospate lower... :think:

Welcome to the twilight zone
 

Similar threads

T
Replies
96
Views
14K
TheBeard
T
M
Replies
0
Views
946
member 2106
M
Top