VAP Test: Bad LDL: Any Suggestions?

ejalrp

I recently had a VAP test. In addition to fairly high cholesterol and triglycerides, my LDL is squarely in the evil "small dense" bracket instead of the good "large buoyant" category. I had already begun taking pregnenolone niacinamide, caffeine, aspirin, magnesium and some of Haidut's Tyromax for weeks prior to the test so I'm somewhat stumped as to what protocols to use to try and shift the LDL composition. Any suggestions?

yoshiesque

Hello,

sucks no one has replied to this. I might be in same category. Just got my mum to do blood tests and she has similar result and she got diagnosed with familial hypercholesterolemia. And that being, not high cholesterol for hypothyroidism, but rather, the actual genetic issue. its not for sure though.

I have not seen Ray Peat talk about this or any remedies for it? I remember Chris Kresser saying that in this case too much saturated fat could be bad (but in every other case, saturated fat is something he favours) and to lower it and have a higher carb diet or something. He also did say this is a rare thing, 1 in 300 or something. Definitely looking to get more info on all this.

yoshiesque

here are some links to read:

chris kresser also discusses this with Chris Masterjohn, who is inline with Ray Peat on many things.

Episode 11 – Chris Masterjohn on cholesterol & heart disease (Part 1)
Chris Masterjohn on cholesterol & heart disease (part 2)
The Diet-Heart Myth: Why Everyone Should Know Their LDL Particle Number
What Causes Elevated LDL Particle Number?

Especially note this for genetic causes:

Homozygous carriers of FH have two copies of the mutated gene. This condition is very rare. It affects approximately 1 in a million people. And people that are homozygous for this mutation have extremely high total cholesterol levels, often as high as 1000 mg/dL. And unfortunately they usually die from severe atherosclerosis and heart disease before the age of 25.

Heterozygous carriers, however, only have a single copy of the mutated gene, and the other copy is functioning normally. This is much more common. The prevalence is between 1 in 300 to 1 in 500 people, depending on which study you look at. These heterozygous carriers of FH have total cholesterol levels that often range between 350 and 550 mg/dL, along with very high LDL particle number. They have about three times higher risk of death from heart disease than people without FH if it goes untreated.

It’s important to note that people with FH have primarily large, buoyant LDL particles, and yet are still at much higher risk for cardiovascular disease. While it’s true that small, dense, oxidized LDL particles are more likely to cause atherosclerosis, large, buoyant particles can also be harmful when their concentration is high enough. This is one reason why LDL particle number is a superior marker to LDL particle size.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals