Aspirin Now Officially Recommended For (colon) Cancer Prevention

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by haidut, Aug 5, 2019.

1. haidut

haidut Member

It is only in the UK for now, but given how intertwined the health systems of most Western countries are I suspect it will soon spread to other health systems. Also, while the popular press article claims that the recommendation will only be for people with a specific genetic condition, the NHS UK website announcement makes it sound like it will be a recommendation for preventing ANY colon cancer, regardless of the type or underlying cause. It makes me sad that as groundbreaking changes to health care like these are made, studies are simultaneously pumped out calling for all people using aspirin preventatively to stop immediately due to the (overblown) bleeding risks.

Prescribe daily aspirin to prevent colorectal cancers, doctors told

"...Taking aspirin slashes the risk of cancer for hundreds of thousands of people with an inherited genetic condition, health chiefs have said. Carriers of Lynch Syndrome, which affects roughly one in 300 people, would gain significant protection against bowel, rectal and colon cancers from the daily pill, according to the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice). Roughly four in five who carry the genes develop one of these forms of the disease - known collectively as colorectal cancer. However, trials have indicated that daily aspirin can cut the risk by up to 60 per cent. It is the first time Nice, which determines what drugs and treatments must be offered on the NHS, has recommended aspirin as a preventative treatment for cancer."

"...Dr Paul Chrisp, director of the Centre for Guidelines at NICE, said: “The independent committee looked at evidence from a multi-country randomised controlled trial, which showed taking daily aspirin for more than two years reduces the risk of colorectal cancer in people with Lynch Syndrome. “While there are risks associated with long-term aspirin use, the committee agreed that the benefits are likely to outweigh any potential harms."

2. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

Aspirin lowers colorectal cancer incidence by 70% in another large study I saw.

Screening with colonoscopies and occult fecal blood tests only lower death by colorectal cancer by 18%, and don’t lower all cause mortality.

You need to take about one full aspirin tablet a day though. The “baby aspirin” doesn’t cut it when it comes to reducing CR cancer risk.

I take a gram of aspirin 2 or 3 times a week and I think this is highly protective.

3. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Yep, and in fact taking aspirin can replace the colonoscopies altogether.
    Aspirin Can Fully Replace Your Annual Colonoscopy

4. LucyL

LucyL Member

My primary care physician said that based on those types of studies, he stopped his daily aspirin recommendation to his patients, and within a month two had strokes and one had a heart attack. It really upset him, and he went back to the recommendations. The everyday doctors are victimized by this crap too.

5. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

1g - 2g a week cuts the likelihood of colorectal cancer down 2/3. There is nothing that effective for prevention including the colonoscopies.

6. ubiety

ubiety Member

I like taking aspirin for this prevention, and for other reasons. The problem is that every time I take aspirin (as little as 160 mg), it makes my dry/flaky skin much worse. Any thoughts about why or how to address that?

7. Kartoffel

Kartoffel Member

How would colonoscopy help to prevent cancer? If anything, a colonoscopy will increase the likelihood of cancerization.

8. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

the idea of colonoscopy is as a prevention device by snipping "pre cancerous" polyps while they are there...that is what makes it such a hot idea today...

9. Experienced

Experienced Member

How exactly do we have to take aspirin? People always talk about having strokes or heartattacks of aspirin? How come that they conclude those stuff.

10. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

I think vitamin K2 MK4 is necessary to be safe with aspirin.

Also H. Pylori infection in the stomach makes aspirin more dangerous. That can be countered with a tablespoon of honey on an empty stomach every day for a week.

Taking aspirin with ascorbic acid, niacinamide, collagen and baking soda all dissolved so no aspirin tablets or pieces are in contact with delicate digestive linings

All this makes aspirin quite safe.

11. ExCarniv

ExCarniv Member

This is good news, my dad had colon cancer a couple years ago.

Do you think regular Bayer's aspirin are ok? There is not other option in my country, no aspirin powders are available

12. Experienced

Experienced Member

Alka seltzer.