Aspirin may treat pancreatitis...and other fibrotic conditions

haidut

Forum Supporter
While most of medicine's attention is focused on acute pancreatitis (AP) since AP is often deadly, rates of chronic pancreatitis (CP) have been rising over the last 2-3 decades and it is now recognized that CP is a "gateway" condition to either liver or pancreatic cancers. Officially, CP has no treatment and the only recommendation doctors give is to cut back (or completely stop) drinking alcohol as that is one of the known causes of CP. However, CP often persists despite alcohol abstinence and as such there is an urgent need for effective treatments. In a previous post of mine I discussed how serotonin antagonists such as cyproheptadine and ketotifen may be able to treat both AP and CP. However, those drugs are not widely available and remain by prescription-only in many countries. The study below now demonstrates that humble aspirin at a HED of ~7mg/kg daily for 4-6 weeks may be able to treat CP. Importantly, aspirin managed to reverse to a great degree the fibrosis in the inflamed pancreas, which suggests that aspirin may be a viable treatment for many other fibrotic conditions. Also, since fibrosis is almost universally a precursor to cancer, this anti-fibrotic effect of aspirin may explain a good deal of its cancer-prevention effects.

Aspirin ameliorates pancreatic inflammation and fibrosis | JIR

"...Results: L-arginine-induced CP resulted in over-expression of the inflammatory enzyme cyclooxygenase (COX)-2. COX-2 expression decreased after ASA treatment. Pancreatic-injury inflammatory response (measured by changes in amylase, CK-19, F4/80, CD3, MCP-1, IL-6) and fibrosis degree (measured by expression of COL1A1, MMP-1 and TIMP-1) was reduce in ASA -treated mice model. The therapeutic effect of ASA was also observed in caeruelin-induced CP.
Conclusion: ASA has an ameliorating effect in murine models of CP through inhibition of pancreatic inflammation and fibrosis, which may be a promising option for clinical treatment."

Regina

While most of medicine's attention is focused on acute pancreatitis (AP) since AP is often deadly, rates of chronic pancreatitis (CP) have been rising over the last 2-3 decades and it is now recognized that CP is a "gateway" condition to either liver or pancreatic cancers. Officially, CP has no treatment and the only recommendation doctors give is to cut back (or completely stop) drinking alcohol as that is one of the known causes of CP. However, CP often persists despite alcohol abstinence and as such there is an urgent need for effective treatments. In a previous post of mine I discussed how serotonin antagonists such as cyproheptadine and ketotifen may be able to treat both AP and CP. However, those drugs are not widely available and remain by prescription-only in many countries. The study below now demonstrates that humble aspirin at a HED of ~7mg/kg daily for 4-6 weeks may be able to treat CP. Importantly, aspirin managed to reverse to a great degree the fibrosis in the inflamed pancreas, which suggests that aspirin may be a viable treatment for many other fibrotic conditions. Also, since fibrosis is almost universally a precursor to cancer, this anti-fibrotic effect of aspirin may explain a good deal of its cancer-prevention effects.

Aspirin ameliorates pancreatic inflammation and fibrosis | JIR

"...Results: L-arginine-induced CP resulted in over-expression of the inflammatory enzyme cyclooxygenase (COX)-2. COX-2 expression decreased after ASA treatment. Pancreatic-injury inflammatory response (measured by changes in amylase, CK-19, F4/80, CD3, MCP-1, IL-6) and fibrosis degree (measured by expression of COL1A1, MMP-1 and TIMP-1) was reduce in ASA -treated mice model. The therapeutic effect of ASA was also observed in caeruelin-induced CP.
Conclusion: ASA has an ameliorating effect in murine models of CP through inhibition of pancreatic inflammation and fibrosis, which may be a promising option for clinical treatment."
:rockoutyay

Jib

I've been taking aspirin *and* serrapeptase. Interesting you mention fibrin. Serrapeptase is notorious for helping to break down fibrin. I just so happen to be taking large amounts of both aspirin and serrapeptase at the same time over the past couple weeks -- and it has been a massive help in reducing the pain of a recent lower back injury. I'm in agony and I can tell when they're wearing off. Radiculopathy, severe shooting pain radiating from lower back down the back of both my legs...but they help a lot.

Both together are better than either one alone. Like very significantly better together than alone. Just in terms of my own pain experience.

Perhaps they're joining together for some enhanced fibrin breakdown. Very interesting stuff. I've been using this injury partially as an excuse to really double down on aspirin intake, because I literally cannot function at all or sleep at all without it because the pain is so severe. Very thankful there's something so cheap and so effective and good to know I might be getting additional benefits as well.

240,000 - 360,000 units of serrapeptase and 325-650mg aspirin at once. Some days I'm doing this several times a day and then again at night, or doing an even higher dose at night if the pain is especially bad.

A.R

I've been taking aspirin *and* serrapeptase. Interesting you mention fibrin. Serrapeptase is notorious for helping to break down fibrin. I just so happen to be taking large amounts of both aspirin and serrapeptase at the same time over the past couple weeks -- and it has been a massive help in reducing the pain of a recent lower back injury. I'm in agony and I can tell when they're wearing off. Radiculopathy, severe shooting pain radiating from lower back down the back of both my legs...but they help a lot.

Both together are better than either one alone. Like very significantly better together than alone. Just in terms of my own pain experience.

Perhaps they're joining together for some enhanced fibrin breakdown. Very interesting stuff. I've been using this injury partially as an excuse to really double down on aspirin intake, because I literally cannot function at all or sleep at all without it because the pain is so severe. Very thankful there's something so cheap and so effective and good to know I might be getting additional benefits as well.

240,000 - 360,000 units of serrapeptase and 325-650mg aspirin at once. Some days I'm doing this several times a day and then again at night, or doing an even higher dose at night if the pain is especially bad.
Have you tried to stack any of the steroids such as Preg/prog/Dhea along with this combo of aspirin and Serrapeptase?

Jib

Have you tried to stack any of the steroids such as Preg/prog/Dhea along with this combo of aspirin and Serrapeptase?

I haven't yet. I do have some pregnenolone but no DHEA or Pregnenolone. I might try the pregnenolone with it at some point.

P

Peatness

Does this combination not thin the blood too much?

pubh12

Forum Supporter
Are all fibrotic conditions caused by excess serotonin ? I have a tethered spinal cord. There is a fibrotic tether of my spinal cord to the dura. Can lowering serotonin reverse said fibrosis similar to how it supposedly reverses lung fibrosis or liver fibrosis ? Or would it not really work since it’s in the csf barrier or bbb or whatever it’s called?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals