Aspirin For Leukemia And Mesothelioma

haidut

Forum Supporter
Similar to my other post on blocking serotonin as a way to reverse fibrosis, the truth about what works and what doesn't in medicine is slowly coming out. After decades of denying that aspirin may have any effects on treating cancer, apparently clinical trials are about to begin with aspirin for leukemia and the lung cancer mesothelioma. I just hope that these trials do not use an underdosed approach or combine aspirin with something toxic like existing chemotherapy and radiation so that it appears that aspirin is ineffective.

Key Ingredient in Aspirin Noted for Cancer-Fighting Properties Could Lead to New Treatment for Mesothelioma

"...In what is encouraging news for mesothelioma patients, researchers report that both aspirin and diflunisal can stop inflammation and cancer. The two nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) have the key ingredient salicylic acid that researchers from Gladstone Institutes, of San Francisco, report is effective in inhibiting two proteins, p300 and CREB-binding protein (CBP), preventing cellular damage caused by inflammation. The proteins, according to the researchers, control the levels of proteins that cause inflammation or are involved in cell growth. “Salicylic acid is one of the oldest drugs on the planet, dating back to the Egyptians and the Greeks, but we’re still discovering new things about it,” said senior author Eric Verdin, MD, associate director of the Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology. “Uncovering this pathway of inflammation that salicylic acid acts upon opens up a host of new clinical possibilities for these drugs.”

"...In the study, the researchers determined that suppressing p300 with diflunisal “stopped cancer progression and shrunk the tumors in the mouse model of leukemia.” The team has also conducted a trial in human hematologic cancers and determined the salicylic acid to be safe. The next step for them is to collaborate in the development of novel epigenetic therapies to find more effective treatment for leukemia patients."

"...In a separate study in 2015, researchers from the University of Hawaii Cancer Research Center “reported aspirin administration to individuals at high risk of developing MM [malignant mesothelioma], such as those with a history of asbestos …may prevent or delay the growth of MM, possibly increasing life expectancy and also increasing opportunities for early MM detection.”

Hi ,would aspirin be any help to my husband (diagnosed with mesothelioma) , I've been giving him
300 mg for the last 2 weeks. He's only taking it to shut me up, but I really believe in aspirin.His prognosis
is pretty bleak ,he's in hospital at the moment having a pleurectomy .What if any thing can be thrown at this to even slow it down, he has decided not to go the chemo route. Myself and our children are thinking of trying hemp oil,as he has nothing to lose,any other suggestions ??

jaguar43

Hi ,would aspirin be any help to my husband (diagnosed with mesothelioma) , I've been giving him
300 mg for the last 2 weeks. He's only taking it to shut me up, but I really believe in aspirin.His prognosis
is pretty bleak ,he's in hospital at the moment having a pleurectomy .What if any thing can be thrown at this to even slow it down, he has decided not to go the chemo route. Myself and our children are thinking of trying hemp oil,as he has nothing to lose,any other suggestions ??

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I think using progesterone and aspirin would synergies together to be effective.

Last edited:

bluewren

Maybe add Vit K2 to accompany the aspirin.

All the best to you and your family, and wishing you well.

Hi. Can anyone tell me the ratio of aspirin /vitamin k to keep blood normal (not thin not sticky)
In a cancer patient .my husband is coming home from hospital tomorrow with a drain in his chest.
I fear the surgery he had (thoracic talc pleurodesis ) was not as successful as intended,he was violently
Sick for 2 days with a raised heart rate and blood pressure plus a painful bowel blockage,I feel he was rushed into
This surgery with little or no discussion, plus he's in more pain now,I just feel useless.

PakPik

Hello elderflower, my heart goes out to you . Very hard situation indeed. You're brave to be besides your husband.

I'm no expert, but let me share things I would consider powerfully helpful for lung cancer.
  • First off, according to my research the best therapeutic dosages of aspirin would be in the range of 80mg-3000mg (the best dosage may be different for different disease). So, in my opinion the 300 mg he is taking can be very therapeutic for cancer. Interestingly, I've come across evidence that huge multigram doses can be even detrimental for cancer, so more is not always better.
  • I'd also consider a extremely low PUFA diet (no more than 0.5% calories from PUFA) as a top anticancer strategy. A very crucial foundational strategy in my point of view.
  • I would consider taking 2-4 mg of cyproheptadine, a gentle yet powerful antiserotonin agent that blocks certain receptor that is involved in lung fibrosis. It also helps with appetite.
  • Finally, I'd include niacinamide, which is a supplement so versatile in its benefits. Really a great range of protective actions. And regarding lung cancer, there's an open clinical trial: "Nicotinamide is an inhibitor of human sirtuins (HDAC III), and is found to re-activate epigenetically silenced tumor suppressors, RUNX3 (runt-related gene 3) and others, in cancer cells. Nicotinamide was found to be effective in several animal cancer models including lung, bladder, liver, etc. The purpose of this study is to determine whether nicotinamide is also effective in the treatment of human lung cancer." Anticancer Activity of Nicotinamide on Lung Cancer - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

My very best hopes for you and your family.

Koveras

Hello elderflower, my heart goes out to you . Very hard situation indeed. You're brave to be besides your husband.

I'm no expert, but let me share things I would consider powerfully helpful for lung cancer.
  • First off, according to my research the best therapeutic dosages of aspirin would be in the range of 80mg-3000mg (the best dosage may be different for different disease). So, in my opinion the 300 mg he is taking can be very therapeutic for cancer. Interestingly, I've come across evidence that huge multigram doses can be even detrimental for cancer, so more is not always better.
  • I'd also consider a extremely low PUFA diet (no more than 0.5% calories from PUFA) as a top anticancer strategy. A very crucial foundational strategy in my point of view.
  • I would consider taking 2-4 mg of cyproheptadine, a gentle yet powerful antiserotonin agent that blocks certain receptor that is involved in lung fibrosis. It also helps with appetite.
  • Finally, I'd include niacinamide, which is a supplement so versatile in its benefits. Really a great range of protective actions. And regarding lung cancer, there's an open clinical trial: "Nicotinamide is an inhibitor of human sirtuins (HDAC III), and is found to re-activate epigenetically silenced tumor suppressors, RUNX3 (runt-related gene 3) and others, in cancer cells. Nicotinamide was found to be effective in several animal cancer models including lung, bladder, liver, etc. The purpose of this study is to determine whether nicotinamide is also effective in the treatment of human lung cancer." Anticancer Activity of Nicotinamide on Lung Cancer - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

My very best hopes for you and your family.

Thanks PakPik, could you point to the information on the detrimental effect of the very high aspirin doses?

PakPik

Hello @Koveras , please excuse me for the late reply. I indeed spent some time checking out some references, trying to clarify my own reasoning.

I used to get the idea, basically from reading around the forum, that therapeutic doses for cancer were necessarily several grams daily. However reading the next study, plus some further reading, challenged that:

In malignant brain tumor (glioma) in rats, "A paradoxical effect of ASA administration was observed on the dynamics of cell proliferation of C6 glioma. When high ASA doses were administered (200 or 400 mg/kg per day), tumor volume, cell proliferation, vascular density, and mitotic index increased. In contrast, when low doses were administered (12.5 or 25 mg/kg per day) the tumor size diminished." Paradoxical effect of aspirin on the growth of C6 rat glioma and on time of development of ENU-induced tumors of the nervous system. - PubMed - NCBI

The human equivalent, if I'm not wrong, would be around 1.5-3 baby aspirins for the low dose. The higher, tumor promoting dose in that particular experiment wasn't that high, the human equivalent would be around 2000 mg - 4000 mg daily.

I've been wondering about the potential reasons for that, and I may share my findings and thoughts in another opportunity if anyone is interested. But in a nutshell, based on multiple papers I've read so far, I think that may have to do with the different effects aspirin can have on the immune system: very high doses -those reaching milimolar concentrations- have important immunosuppressive actions, and low-to-moderate are immunostimulatory, both increasing antitumor immunity and decreasing cancer-induced immunosuppression/immune evasion. There's also aspirin's effects on NF-κB: some doses may stimulate it, some doses may inhibit it, and it seems some tumors may benefit from its inductionwhile others from its inhibition. Then there's the target organ variable, since every organ has different/specific needs. And there are even more variables!

Koveras

Hello @Koveras , please excuse me for the late reply. I indeed spent some time checking out some references, trying to clarify my own reasoning.

I used to get the idea, basically from reading around the forum, that therapeutic doses for cancer were necessarily several grams daily. However reading the next study, plus some further reading, challenged that:

In malignant brain tumor (glioma) in rats, "A paradoxical effect of ASA administration was observed on the dynamics of cell proliferation of C6 glioma. When high ASA doses were administered (200 or 400 mg/kg per day), tumor volume, cell proliferation, vascular density, and mitotic index increased. In contrast, when low doses were administered (12.5 or 25 mg/kg per day) the tumor size diminished." Paradoxical effect of aspirin on the growth of C6 rat glioma and on time of development of ENU-induced tumors of the nervous system. - PubMed - NCBI

The human equivalent, if I'm not wrong, would be around 1.5-3 baby aspirins for the low dose. The higher, tumor promoting dose in that particular experiment wasn't that high, the human equivalent would be around 2000 mg - 4000 mg daily.

I've been wondering about the potential reasons for that, and I may share my findings and thoughts in another opportunity if anyone is interested. But in a nutshell, based on multiple papers I've read so far, I think that may have to do with the different effects aspirin can have on the immune system: very high doses -those reaching milimolar concentrations- have important immunosuppressive actions, and low-to-moderate are immunostimulatory, both increasing antitumor immunity and decreasing cancer-induced immunosuppression/immune evasion. There's also aspirin's effects on NF-κB: some doses may stimulate it, some doses may inhibit it, and it seems some tumors may benefit from its inductionwhile others from its inhibition. Then there's the target organ variable, since every organ has different/specific needs. And there are even more variables!

Interesting, thank you

I wonder if some portion of the negative effect seen with a high dose here could be due to glycine depletion and if concurrent glycine supplementation would alleviate that.

Negative effects of aspirin may be due to glycine depletion

PakPik

Interesting, thank you

I wonder if some portion of the negative effect seen with a high dose here could be due to glycine depletion and if concurrent glycine supplementation would alleviate that.

Negative effects of aspirin may be due to glycine depletion

It seems to me that the effects of aspirin I mentioned were through rather direct mechanisms, but of course glycine depletion can't be a good thing as your link shows.

oburns

Similar to my other post on blocking serotonin as a way to reverse fibrosis, the truth about what works and what doesn't in medicine is slowly coming out. After decades of denying that aspirin may have any effects on treating cancer, apparently clinical trials are about to begin with aspirin for leukemia and the lung cancer mesothelioma. I just hope that these trials do not use an underdosed approach or combine aspirin with something toxic like existing chemotherapy and radiation so that it appears that aspirin is ineffective.

Key Ingredient in Aspirin Noted for Cancer-Fighting Properties Could Lead to New Treatment for Mesothelioma

"...In what is encouraging news for mesothelioma patients, researchers report that both aspirin and diflunisal can stop inflammation and cancer. The two nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) have the key ingredient salicylic acid that researchers from Gladstone Institutes, of San Francisco, report is effective in inhibiting two proteins, p300 and CREB-binding protein (CBP), preventing cellular damage caused by inflammation. The proteins, according to the researchers, control the levels of proteins that cause inflammation or are involved in cell growth. “Salicylic acid is one of the oldest drugs on the planet, dating back to the Egyptians and the Greeks, but we’re still discovering new things about it,” said senior author Eric Verdin, MD, associate director of the Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology. “Uncovering this pathway of inflammation that salicylic acid acts upon opens up a host of new clinical possibilities for these drugs.”

"...In the study, the researchers determined that suppressing p300 with diflunisal “stopped cancer progression and shrunk the tumors in the mouse model of leukemia.” The team has also conducted a trial in human hematologic cancers and determined the salicylic acid to be safe. The next step for them is to collaborate in the development of novel epigenetic therapies to find more effective treatment for leukemia patients."

"...In a separate study in 2015, researchers from the University of Hawaii Cancer Research Center “reported aspirin administration to individuals at high risk of developing MM [malignant mesothelioma], such as those with a history of asbestos …may prevent or delay the growth of MM, possibly increasing life expectancy and also increasing opportunities for early MM detection.”
The link above is not working.......Key Ingredient in Aspirin

oburns

Actually when I went into Chrome, it pulled up the site.

Texon

It seems to me that the effects of aspirin I mentioned were through rather direct mechanisms, but of course glycine depletion can't be a good thing as your link shows.
Could the glycine issue be offset by simply taking some magnesium glycinate daily?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals