Androsterone Raises Serotonin?

ddjd

Im a big fan of the idealabs products. Recently i tried Androsterone, I noticed some positive benefits from it but unfortunately also noticed symptoms I usually relate to an increase in Serotonin.

Then I found this study

"Androsterone did not affect dopamine levels or turnover, but increased noradrenaline concentration and serotonin turnover in the hippocampus."

Psychomotor and rewarding properties of the neurosteroids dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate and androsterone: effects on monoamine and steroid metabo... - PubMed - NCBI

managing

Im a big fan of the idealabs products. Recently i tried Androsterone, I noticed some positive benefits from it but unfortunately also noticed symptoms I usually relate to an increase in Serotonin.

Then I found this study

"Androsterone did not affect dopamine levels or turnover, but increased noradrenaline concentration and serotonin turnover in the hippocampus."

Psychomotor and rewarding properties of the neurosteroids dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate and androsterone: effects on monoamine and steroid metabo... - PubMed - NCBI
Wouldn't higher serotonin turnover lead to a reduction in serotonin? Or am I misunderstanding context here?

haidut

Forum Supporter

Then I found this study

As @managing and Sneeze said - it increased serotonin turnover, which means it increased serotonin degradation. Note the difference compared to noradrenaline, for which the actual levels were increased. In addition, if you look at the study below you will see that androsterone decreased activity of serotonin-driven neurons, which also suggests anti-serotonin effects. Thoe effects were due to gaba agonism, apparently.
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs...d=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub=pubmed&

aguilaroja

As @managing and Sneeze said - it increased serotonin turnover, which means it increased serotonin degradation. Note the difference compared to noradrenaline, for which the actual levels were increased. In addition, if you look at the study below you will see that androsterone decreased activity of serotonin-driven neurons, which also suggests anti-serotonin effects. Thoe effects were due to gaba agonism, apparently.
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0269881109105836?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub=pubmed&

This finding further supports the Gartside study cited by @haidut. It also suggests the serotonin-lowering action of DHEA (and androsterone) may include agonism of GABAA actions.

Neurosteroid dehydroepiandrosterone improves active avoidance retrieval and induces antidepressant-like behavior in rats. - PubMed - NCBI
“…10mg/kg of DHEA significantly decreased the duration of immobility in FST, demonstrating antidepressant-like effects. The capability of bicuculline (2mg/kg) to antagonize the effects of DHEA has been evaluated simultaneously. The retrieval-facilitating as well as antidepressant-like effects of 10mg/kg DHEA were counteracted by bicuculline, a competitive antagonist of GABAA receptors, suggesting involvement of GABAergic system.”

Frankdee20

DHEA felt anything but a GABA agonist lol

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals