Am I Eating Enough?

OP
Tourist

Tourist

I'm 5'10 and fluctuate between 140-145. Pretty muscular but I think you're right about the liver-- I'm doing a 180 with Pete as I was a low Carber....

image.png

I dont know, foods you mentioned all are low on PUFA!

Can you also screenshot the part that shows food items list?
What's your height and weight? An average woman eating 3000 kcal a day with no weight gain is impressive, and shows high metabolic functioning. That would suggest to me the issue with not sleeping the night through is because of stress reactions during the night, possibly due to inefficient liver glycogen.

paymanz

I'm 5'10 and fluctuate between 140-145. Pretty muscular but I think you're right about the liver-- I'm doing a 180 with Pete as I was a low Carber....

View attachment 4519
I suggest you to check the lables on processed foods, some of them add vegetable oil to them , even dairies!

Last edited:
OP
Tourist

Tourist

Got a follow up for u--I see that my collagen has 3,719 mg per 2 scoops-- would an adtl supplement be too much? Have you doubled your collagen or gelatin dose for bedtime zzz's?

Yes; it should be taken with carbohydrate (sugar). Generally, all amino acids should.

tara

Hi Tourist,
Unless you have hunger signals saying you need to eat more to catch up from prolonged deficit, or unless you are doing a lot of endurance training, my guess is you are eating roughly enough.
For quite a long time I had to snack during the night once or twice - like you, snacks on the night stand, preferably sth small and carby I could grab without sitting up or opening eyes.

A couple of other ideas;
  • Just noting the low vit-D - getting regular sun on skin can make this OK, and can also help with regulating sleep at night.
  • Sea food - eg shell fish or white fish - can be a source of selenium.
  • This varies from person to person, but some of us find it useful to attend to timing. For me, some starchy food in morning and midday seems useful , and I aim to eat my largest meal (and a good portion of the protein) around lunch time. My guess is I make better use of it then, and maybe better at refilling glycogen then too. Works better for me than large evening meal. Some people find dividing the starchy food through the day better for sustaining energy. I aim for at least 3 small serves a day of starchy food, sometimes more, but Peat tends to favour sugars, so if that works for you, great.
  • It's possible that sweeping the gut with carrot in the evening might help leave it cleaner through the night. Some of us need to eat fairly soon after waking, but that may not be you.

OP
Tourist

Tourist

Thanks for taking the time to share such great information with me. At night my biggest hurdle is finding what food/supplements will help me sleep--I'm severely sleep deprived with my diet change over and flip flopping thyroid.

Does Ray believe that vitamin d supplementation is necessary? I've read that supplementing can mess up calcium and magnesium balance.

Hi Tourist,
Unless you have hunger signals saying you need to eat more to catch up from prolonged deficit, or unless you are doing a lot of endurance training, my guess is you are eating roughly enough.
For quite a long time I had to snack during the night once or twice - like you, snacks on the night stand, preferably sth small and carby I could grab without sitting up or opening eyes.

A couple of other ideas;
  • Just noting the low vit-D - getting regular sun on skin can make this OK, and can also help with regulating sleep at night.
  • Sea food - eg shell fish or white fish - can be a source of selenium.
  • This varies from person to person, but some of us find it useful to attend to timing. For me, some starchy food in morning and midday seems useful , and I aim to eat my largest meal (and a good portion of the protein) around lunch time. My guess is I make better use of it then, and maybe better at refilling glycogen then too. Works better for me than large evening meal. Some people find dividing the starchy food through the day better for sustaining energy. I aim for at least 3 small serves a day of starchy food, sometimes more, but Peat tends to favour sugars, so if that works for you, great.
  • It's possible that sweeping the gut with carrot in the evening might help leave it cleaner through the night. Some of us need to eat fairly soon after waking, but that may not be you.

DaveFoster

Got a follow up for u--I see that my collagen has 3,719 mg per 2 scoops-- would an adtl supplement be too much? Have you doubled your collagen or gelatin dose for bedtime zzz's?
2-4 TBSP gelatin is enough. I take 12 g glycine with aspirin before bed to get the minimum necessary amount.

tara

Thanks for taking the time to share such great information with me. At night my biggest hurdle is finding what food/supplements will help me sleep--I'm severely sleep deprived with my diet change over and flip flopping thyroid.
I still mess up and lose sleep from hunger occasionally, and I know it's very frustrating - so hard to get anything to work properly in that state.
Eating enough all through the day is important for me - trying to fill up in the evening doesn't work so well.

I don't know the rest of your history, but I think progesterone was also helpful for my sleep, in addition to the dates or juice (or pre-Peat bikkies) by the bed.
I'm early fifties too, probably perimenopausal.

tara

Does Ray believe that vitamin d supplementation is necessary? I've read that supplementing can mess up calcium and magnesium balance.
I think Peat has pointed to some studies where supplementing vit-D seems to have been useful. There is some controversy on the subject here.
Haidut's estroban product contains some vit D in the best balance he could figure with the other fat-soluble vitamins.
I guess there is a need for adequate Mg too, and vit-K, for managing calcium well.

paymanz

dopamine may correct circadian rhythm.

Stimulating dopamine receptors in the morning can do that...

For example sunlight early in the day improves circadian clock and it does so at least partly by increasing dopamine.

Activating dopamine also lowers adrenaline according to some studies.and adrenaline may be a cause of sleeplessness.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals