Altering The Gut Microbiota Is Not Enough To Obtain Clinical Improvement In IBS

thomas00

a blow for the argument that IBS is caused by dysbioisis

Faecal microbiota transplantation alters gut microbiota in patients with irritable bowel syndrome: results from a randomised, double-blind placebo-controlled study

Abstract
Objective IBS is associated with an intestinal dysbiosis and faecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) has been hypothesised to have a positive effect in patients with IBS. We performed a randomised, double-blind placebo-controlled trial to investigate if FMT resulted in an altered gut microbiota and improvement in clinical outcome in patients with IBS.

Design We performed this study in 52 adult patients with moderate-to-severe IBS. At the screening visit, clinical history and symptoms were assessed and faecal samples were collected. Patients were randomised to FMT or placebo capsules for 12 days and followed for 6 months. Study visits were performed at baseline, 1, 3 and 6 months, where patients were asked to register their symptoms using the IBS-severity scoring system (IBS-SSS) and IBS-specific quality of life (IBS-QoL). Prior to each visit, faecal samples were collected.

Results A significant difference in improvement in IBS-SSS score was observed 3 months after treatment (p=0.012) favouring placebo. This was similar for IBS-QoL data after 3 months (p=0.003) favouring placebo. Patients receiving FMT capsules had an increase in faecal microbial biodiversity while placebos did not.

Conclusion In this randomised double-blinded placebo-controlled study, we found that FMT changed gut microbiota in patients with IBS. But patients in the placebo group experienced greater symptom relief compared with the FMT group after 3 months. Altering the gut microbiota is not enough to obtain clinical improvement in IBS. However, different study designs and larger studies are required to examine the role of FMT in IBS.

Faecal microbiota transplantation alters gut microbiota in patients with irritable bowel syndrome: results from a randomised, double-blind placebo-controlled study

charlie

The Law & Order Admin

thomas00

I believe "IBS" is an energy problem most likely due to low thyroid and most importantly nutrient deficiencies of the B vitamins. B1 and B3 being the key players but all the rest of the B's need to be inline too along with the co-factors

Yes I think that is the case too, with the exception of infections which can cause the IBS symptoms. If the gut has huge energy requirements like the brain then it's I guess it's no surprise that mental and GI problems would feature prominently in hypothyroidism.

ilhanxx

one update:

I am on the amoklavin (amoxicillin 2 gr a day) for tooth infection 2 days. my gut works fast after meals. Ray peat right about gut sterilization.

My mood is ok and relax. Bloating and gasses all gone. Problem is that Antibiotic drugs dont sell without dr prescription in here.

JenLN

I was diagnosed with IBS-D at 19 and had it off/on in my 20’s. In my late 20’s, I started smoking weed and my IBS vanished and never returned. I also think it has something to do with vitamin deficiencies, but that can’t be all of it. I can say that for me at least, marijuana was the cure.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Lokzo Camu Camu Berry Prevents Obesity By Altering The Gut Microbiota Scientific Studies 5
Mito Intermittent Fasting Confers Protection In CNS Autoimmunity By Altering The Gut Microbiota Articles & Scientific Studies 0
E Altering The Temperature Setpoint Thyroid and Hormones 3
sctb Altering Fatty Acid Availability Does Not Impair Running To Fatigue Articles & Scientific Studies 1
N Inhibition of Lipolysis Improves Glucose Metabolism, Insulin Sensitivity w/o Altering Fat Mass Scientific Studies 2
charlie A Race to Save the Orange by Altering Its DNA Toxins, Detoxification 3
J What Is The Least Damaging Mind Altering Substance? Alcohol, Tobacco, Drugs 54
Twohandsondeck A gut repair equation - Amino acids > polyphenols > fiber Digestion, Gut Flora 22
Hgreen56 Anti-Peat Study reveals how sugars wipe out important bacteria in gut Debate - Anti-Peat 16
Lokzo Glycine Reduces NAFLD by modulating fatty acid oxidation, glutathione synthesis, and the gut microbiome - 2020 Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 20
DANIEL Anti-Peat If There's Bacteria in Human Breastmilk, Why Do Haidut and Peat Push the Sterile Gut Nonsense? Debate - Anti-Peat 70
C Does Flowers Of Sulphur Only Benefit The Gut? Ask For Help or Advice 3
Mauritio Autism Study Suggests Connection Between Repetitive Behaviors And Gut Problems Scientific Studies 9
Ras Glycine Ameliorates NAFLD By Modulating FAO, Glutathione Synthesis, And The Gut Microbiome Amino Acids 0
Mito Specific Bacterium In The Gut Linked To Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Articles & Scientific Studies 0
G Lying On My Back Causes Irritation In The Gut? Digestion 1
H Link Between Alzheimer's Disease And Gut Microbiota Is Confirmed Alzheimer's 1
Twohandsondeck Psoriasis Solved: Raw Starch Gut Rehab (pics) Testimonials 166
D Nausea, Gut Cramping, Hot Flashes/then Chills Ask For Help or Advice 9
E β-glucan Attenuates Cognitive Impairment Via The Gut-brain Axis In Diet-induced Obese Mice [10- 2020 Scientific Studies 0
Happycat Starches Have Messed Up My Gut Digestion 5
Hans The Gut-Hair Loss Connection: Fix The Gut To Stop Hair Loss Articles & Scientific Studies 11
Hans Gut-Thyroid Connection: How To Fix Your Thyroid Through Your Gut Articles & Scientific Studies 54
haidut Parkinson Disease (PD) May Begin In The Gut Scientific Studies 0
C What To Do When Your Gut Bacteria Love Protein Digestion 20
Hans How To Modulate The Gut Apart From The Diet Articles & Scientific Studies 0
fever257 Please Help: Endotoxin Overload & Post-parasite Gut Disaster Digestion, Gut Flora 24
Hans The One Gut Bacterium You Have To Boost (and Here’s How) Articles & Scientific Studies 43
TheBeard Ox Bile As A Gut Desinfectant? Digestion 97
N Lower Levels Of Endotoxins And Better Gut Permeability In Centenarians VS Young People Articles & Scientific Studies 0
J Can Fiber Be Fully/Largely Digested By Gut Bacteria? Digestion 3
RealNeat Gut Bacteria Eat Colon Lining When Starved For Fiber Health 4
J Colostrum Capsules For Gut Problems Digestion 4
J Tests To Determine If You Have SIBO And Other Gut Issues? Digestion 1
haidut Stress (cortisol) Can Cause ANY Autoimmune Condition By Disrupting Gut Barrier Scientific Studies 0
johnwester130 Presenting A New Theory For Baldness - Gut Bacteria Hair & Nails 37
J Does Your Gut Get Used To Milk? Working Through Milk Issues 20
Tarmander Gut Protocol For Insulin Resistance, Metabolism, And Energy Digestion, Gut Flora 40
Hans Cardamom Could Be Great For The Gut Scientific Studies 34
Constatine Coffee To Sterilize The Gut Scientific Studies 24
methylenewhite Gut Flora And Bile Acids In Ulcerative Colitis Scientific Studies 0
yerrag Loose Stools - Maybe A Good Sign I'm Successfully Disrupting Gut Biofilm? Digestion, Gut Flora 13
T Gut Microbes- Helpful Or Not? Ask For Help or Advice 0
R Gut Microbiota Mediates Intermittent-fasting Alleviation Of Diabetes-induced Cognitive Impairment Scientific Studies 0
methylenewhite Parkinson’s Begins In The Gut. One More Study Scientific Studies 4
K Gut Health And Diabetes Blood Sugar 6
Tarmander Using AI To Alter Your Gut Microbiome (Quax Interview) Digestion, Gut Flora 15
haidut Vitamin D - The New Antibiotic Against Skin And Gut Infections Scientific Studies 14
Mito Can Oral Bacteria Affect The Microbiome Of The Gut? Articles & Scientific Studies 0
M Sensitive Gut Solutions Ask For Help or Advice 5