Altering The Gut Microbiota Is Not Enough To Obtain Clinical Improvement In IBS

thomas00

a blow for the argument that IBS is caused by dysbioisis

Faecal microbiota transplantation alters gut microbiota in patients with irritable bowel syndrome: results from a randomised, double-blind placebo-controlled study

Abstract
Objective IBS is associated with an intestinal dysbiosis and faecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) has been hypothesised to have a positive effect in patients with IBS. We performed a randomised, double-blind placebo-controlled trial to investigate if FMT resulted in an altered gut microbiota and improvement in clinical outcome in patients with IBS.

Design We performed this study in 52 adult patients with moderate-to-severe IBS. At the screening visit, clinical history and symptoms were assessed and faecal samples were collected. Patients were randomised to FMT or placebo capsules for 12 days and followed for 6 months. Study visits were performed at baseline, 1, 3 and 6 months, where patients were asked to register their symptoms using the IBS-severity scoring system (IBS-SSS) and IBS-specific quality of life (IBS-QoL). Prior to each visit, faecal samples were collected.

Results A significant difference in improvement in IBS-SSS score was observed 3 months after treatment (p=0.012) favouring placebo. This was similar for IBS-QoL data after 3 months (p=0.003) favouring placebo. Patients receiving FMT capsules had an increase in faecal microbial biodiversity while placebos did not.

Conclusion In this randomised double-blinded placebo-controlled study, we found that FMT changed gut microbiota in patients with IBS. But patients in the placebo group experienced greater symptom relief compared with the FMT group after 3 months. Altering the gut microbiota is not enough to obtain clinical improvement in IBS. However, different study designs and larger studies are required to examine the role of FMT in IBS.

Faecal microbiota transplantation alters gut microbiota in patients with irritable bowel syndrome: results from a randomised, double-blind placebo-controlled study

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
T

thomas00

I believe "IBS" is an energy problem most likely due to low thyroid and most importantly nutrient deficiencies of the B vitamins. B1 and B3 being the key players but all the rest of the B's need to be inline too along with the co-factors

Yes I think that is the case too, with the exception of infections which can cause the IBS symptoms. If the gut has huge energy requirements like the brain then it's I guess it's no surprise that mental and GI problems would feature prominently in hypothyroidism.

ilhanxx

one update:

I am on the amoklavin (amoxicillin 2 gr a day) for tooth infection 2 days. my gut works fast after meals. Ray peat right about gut sterilization.

My mood is ok and relax. Bloating and gasses all gone. Problem is that Antibiotic drugs dont sell without dr prescription in here.

JenLN

I was diagnosed with IBS-D at 19 and had it off/on in my 20’s. In my late 20’s, I started smoking weed and my IBS vanished and never returned. I also think it has something to do with vitamin deficiencies, but that can’t be all of it. I can say that for me at least, marijuana was the cure.