"A hypothyroid person wastes sugar at a terrible rate" -RP

EnergeticLeo

From
View: https://youtu.be/pZ0VhOU9wQ8?t=1426

• When you are producing energy at a high rate e.g. 150% of average, you’re maintaining blood sugar level because you’re using sugar efficiently, not wasting any
  • Hypothyroid person wastes sugar at a “terrible rate” because “they aren’t using oxygen properly”
  • If you’re using sugar efficiently, that means you don’t experience hypoglycemia, and so you don’t need much adrenaline to regulate your blood adrenaline, and so your adrenaline level and stress level is low; you’re turning over your proteins in a “renewal” way rather than a “stressed” way

This was a big step in my understanding of the general issue.

LeeLemonoil

Thanks for sharing.

Just maybe Peat to quickly hones in on Hypothyroid. Cell metabolism / ability to utilize sugar efficiently can have a couple of reasons.

OP
EnergeticLeo

EnergeticLeo

Thanks for sharing.

Just maybe Peat to quickly hones in on Hypothyroid. Cell metabolism / ability to utilize sugar efficiently can have a couple of reasons.
Yes sometimes I think so too. I just substitute "hypometabolic" whenever he says "hypothyroid" :D

Although I think above he was not suggesting hypothyroidism is the only cause of poor sugar utilisation, just that it is a feature of hypothyroidism.

LeeLemonoil

Yes sometimes I think so too. I just substitute "hypometabolic" whenever he says "hypothyroid" :D

Although I think above he was not suggesting hypothyroidism is the only cause of poor sugar utilisation, just that it is a feature of hypothyroidism.
Agree with all you said.

Mauritio

From
View: https://youtu.be/pZ0VhOU9wQ8?t=1426

• When you are producing energy at a high rate e.g. 150% of average, you’re maintaining blood sugar level because you’re using sugar efficiently, not wasting any
  • Hypothyroid person wastes sugar at a “terrible rate” because “they aren’t using oxygen properly”
  • If you’re using sugar efficiently, that means you don’t experience hypoglycemia, and so you don’t need much adrenaline to regulate your blood adrenaline, and so your adrenaline level and stress level is low; you’re turning over your proteins in a “renewal” way rather than a “stressed” way

This was a big step in my understanding of the general issue.

That's why sometimes people need less calories when they start taking thyroid hormone.

But dont forget that T3 sensitizes you to adrenaline at the beginning, which can actually increase symptoms that you're suffering from temporarily. Although theoretically that should go away after 1-3 weeks, as thyroid is correcting the underlying issue.

OP
EnergeticLeo

EnergeticLeo

But dont forget that T3 sensitizes you to adrenaline at the beginning, which can actually increase symptoms that you're suffering from temporarily. Although theoretically that should go away after 1-3 weeks, as thyroid is correcting the underlying issue.
Yeh I remember being surprised when I first learned that fact.

But would the adrenaline not give a tired hypothyroid person a feeling of energy, even in the first few weeks?

mgrabs

That's why sometimes people need less calories when they start taking thyroid hormone.

So its normal prior to starting thyroid that youll have night sweats & adrenaline surges?

A-Tim

Int

Interesting. I didn't know about that. Is there a Peat article that discusses that more?

yerrag

I don't know why T3 would sensitize one to adrenaline. What is the mechanism?

Or is it that T3 would initially cause a faster tissue uptake of blood sugar as a result of higher demand for sugar as metabolism is increased. That would cause the pre-T3 intake sugar supply from food to be exhausted, with the low blood sugar triggering the release of adrenaline to call upon glycogen reserves to be converted by the liver to blood sugar.

But this would be a temporary situation as the body adapts to this new normal.

OP
EnergeticLeo

EnergeticLeo

Good question, I'm not sure either. My guess would be that as in the original post, if thyroid lowers one's adrenaline, then the adrenaline "receptors" may become more sensitised to it, just like the opposite happens when one has super high cortisol levels, and they are relatively insensitive to cortisol compared to a healthy person.

Jessie

I think it probably sensitizes via reduction in the stress metabolism. When you're hypo you run mostly on stress, but stress is suppose to be acute. When you return to euthyroid, the acute effects of stress are more pronounced. Which is probably a good thing, since stress in the environmental sense of the definition is suppose to make you react quicker to a dangerous situation.

Jennifer

So its normal prior to starting thyroid that youll have night sweats & adrenaline surges?

It happened to my mum when she started supplementing thyroid and anytime she increased her dose. It lasted for about a week, in her case. For me, it had the opposite effect. I was having extreme adrenaline attacks leading to daily convulsion and syncope episodes and they ceased within a day of supplementing thyroid.

Mauritio

Yeh I remember being surprised when I first learned that fact.

But would the adrenaline not give a tired hypothyroid person a feeling of energy, even in the first few weeks?
Not every hypothyroid person is tired. Many people rely on cortisol and adrenaline to keep them going. Sometimes they have up to 40times the adrenaline level of a euthyroid person.
So it might give a person more energy, but also insomnia and anxiety (and other adrenaline related symptoms).

If you're hypothyroid ,yes. Those are classical adrenaline symptoms.
Int

Interesting. I didn't know about that. Is there a Peat article that discusses that more?
"Thyroid hormones are essential for providing the energy to keepthe brain at a high energy level all the time. If these hormones are deficient, our nerves need stimulants to function normally, and our bodies ordinarily produce large amounts of adrenalin to keep us going. The result is that we get tired and tense at the same time."

From the article "insomnia and hyperactivity"

Or is it that T3 would initially cause a faster tissue uptake of blood sugar as a result of higher demand for sugar as metabolism is increased. That would cause the pre-T3 intake sugar supply from food to be exhausted, with the low blood sugar triggering the release of adrenaline to call upon glycogen reserves to be converted by the liver to blood sugar.

But this would be a temporary situation as the body adapts to this new normal.
Yes what you mentioned will take place anyway,but I believe there is also an inherent sensitizing effect of thyroid on all catecholamines.

Mike Fave explains the whole adrenaline-thyroid connection well at 46:00

View: https://youtu.be/-1Qe1xcHF94

Last edited:
OP
EnergeticLeo

EnergeticLeo

Not every hypothyroid person is tired. Many people rely on cortisol and adrenaline to keep them going. Sometimes they have up to 40times the adrenaline level of a euthyroid person.
Ah yes of course. Often they are hyperactive. I think that's one of the most misleading things for both doctors and the public with respect to diagnosing hypothyroidism. Like Peat not thinking he was hypothyroid because he was eating 10k calories / day on some days.

Mauritio

Ah yes of course. Often they are hyperactive. I think that's one of the most misleading things for both doctors and the public with respect to diagnosing hypothyroidism. Like Peat not thinking he was hypothyroid because he was eating 10k calories / day on some days.
Yeah and T3 can have both effects depending on the person : knock you out or make you hyper...

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
So it might give a person more energy, but also insomnia and anxiety (and other adrenaline related symptoms).

If you're hypothyroid ,yes. Those are classical adrenaline symptoms.

"Thyroid hormones are essential for providing the energy to keepthe brain at a high energy level all the time. If these hormones are deficient, our nerves need stimulants to function normally, and our bodies ordinarily produce large amounts of adrenalin to keep us going. The result is that we get tired and tense at the same time."

From the article "insomnia and hyperactivity"

Yes what you mentioned will take place anyway,but I believe there is also an inherent sensitizing effect of thyroid on all catecholamines.

Mike Fave explains the whole adrenaline-thyroid connection well at 46:00

View: https://youtu.be/-1Qe1xcHF94

Where is the article "insomnia and hyperactivity"?
I cannot find it in his articles.
Paul

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals