Almonds And PUFA , Vitamin E Content :

Aymen

Does the high Vitamin E content in Almonds protects against PUFA oxidation ?
28 g of whole dry roasted Almonds contains 3.5 mg PUFA , 3542mg omega 6 , 7.3 mg of Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol).

tara

It probably partially protects the almond itself, and anyone who consumes it, against oxidation of its own PUFAs.

OP
A

Aymen

It probably partially protects the almond itself, and anyone who consumes it, against oxidation of its own PUFAs.
the amount of PUFA in almonds seems good if we compare it to other nuts like Walnuts.

tara

Almonds keep better than walnuts - walnuts seem to go rancid quite quickly.

Ella

Forum Supporter
The fact that they're roasted may not be such a good idea. PUFAs maybe less oxidised if not subjected to the high heat of roasting. Eating them in their raw state and activated may be safer. IDK. Someone needs to test before and after. Would really love to know this. Some of those raw vegan recipes look so damn good that I am tempted to crossover to the dark side.

Obi-wan

I have smelled walnut bags and mixed nut bags and can smell the rancid nature of them but not on Almonds. It could be an age thing...

OP
A

Aymen

The fact that they're roasted may not be such a good idea. PUFAs maybe less oxidised if not subjected to the high heat of roasting. Eating them in their raw state and activated may be safer. IDK. Someone needs to test before and after. Would really love to know this. Some of those raw vegan recipes look so damn good that I am tempted to crossover to the dark side.
dry roast is best maybe?

Runenight201

It’s seems like it’s very unclear the amount of vitamin E necessary to protect against PUFA. It would be very nice if were to get some mechanism by which we could determine whether a food is worth ingesting or not.

What stands out to me about the almond is that it is very high in magnesium, which makes it attractive to me, as I’m stuggling to find appealing ways of consuming more magnesium. The only leafy green I really enjoy is spinach, but even that can become taxing in the physical quantities necessary to meet sufficient magnesium levels. I have begun supplementing magnesium, but I would also like to not have to entirely rely on supplementation.

Ray has stated that Vitamin E is only necessary to protect against PUFA, and with no PUFA, vitamin E isn’t necessary. Thus, perhaps it’s better to be on the safe side, and supplement additional vitamin E each time almonds are ingested. I recall @James IV stating somewhere that he eats almonds with no problems, perhaps we could all relax slightly with our PUFA phobia from Whole Foods, and test individual “banned” foods for ourselves on an empty digestion with relatively no inflammation and determine whether we feel better or worse from eating that food.

Now, the almond does have an unfavorable calcium to phosphorous ratio, so perhaps a little almond snack with a glass of milk + some transdermal vitamin E could make for a good pre-bed time ritual :) I’ll be testing it out.

SOMO

It’s seems like it’s very unclear the amount of vitamin E necessary to protect against PUFA. It would be very nice if were to get some mechanism by which we could determine whether a food is worth ingesting or not.

What stands out to me about the almond is that it is very high in magnesium, which makes it attractive to me, as I’m stuggling to find appealing ways of consuming more magnesium. The only leafy green I really enjoy is spinach, but even that can become taxing in the physical quantities necessary to meet sufficient magnesium levels. I have begun supplementing magnesium, but I would also like to not have to entirely rely on supplementation.

Ray has stated that Vitamin E is only necessary to protect against PUFA, and with no PUFA, vitamin E isn’t necessary. Thus, perhaps it’s better to be on the safe side, and supplement additional vitamin E each time almonds are ingested. I recall @James IV stating somewhere that he eats almonds with no problems, perhaps we could all relax slightly with our PUFA phobia from Whole Foods, and test individual “banned” foods for ourselves on an empty digestion with relatively no inflammation and determine whether we feel better or worse from eating that food.

Now, the almond does have an unfavorable calcium to phosphorous ratio, so perhaps a little almond snack with a glass of milk + some transdermal vitamin E could make for a good pre-bed time ritual :) I’ll be testing it out.

I've eaten a huge pound bag of almonds with no ill effects (Seemingly.)

But I have just a few cashews and my skin erupts in violent acne.

Cirion

In small amounts it's probably OK but I steer clear simply because I'm trying to be militant about my PUFA intake. Personally, the only PUFA heavy foods I risk eating is eggs, simply because the nutrition in eggs are so superior, and even when I do eat eggs I always supplement vitamin E with it, just in case. That's just me though.

OP
A

Aymen

In small amounts it's probably OK but I steer clear simply because I'm trying to be militant about my PUFA intake. Personally, the only PUFA heavy foods I risk eating is eggs, simply because the nutrition in eggs are so superior, and even when I do eat eggs I always supplement vitamin E with it, just in case. That's just me though.
i didn't eat nuts for a long time , but i do eat two eggs per day sometimes but i avoid drinking full fat milk when i eat two eggs per day .

tara

Guilty confession: I sometimes crave allmonds.

I'm not guilty and not confessing, but I have some in the cupboard and eat few when I feel like it. Usually no more than half a dozen every couple of weeks. I've had a brazil nuts in teh cupboard and eaten one once or twice a week lately, too. Cashews occasionally for a change.
I figure there's a big difference between eating a tiny amount occasionally, and making them a major staple, as some do. They are a tiny part of my diet.

Who knows what's in there that might be useful (other than a little calcium, selenium, etc), along with the less desirable PUFAs.
I figure extreme restriction, and overriding one's cravings, can be hazards in themselves.

BTD

I always loved almonds until I started reading more about the damaging effects of PUFAs and almonds apparently being detrimental to testosterone levels (read on here and over on the Anabolic Men website). I'm conflicted... I never experienced any palpable negative effects from almonds in the past. If anything, I thought they were a good source of monounsaturated fat and magnesium. I always ate a handful (30-35 almonds max) a day and felt great; I miss eating them, as I stopped after all the research, but I may go back, add them back into my diet and see if I notice any negative effects. I mean, I'm sure it would be different if one were to eat multiple handfuls a day.

Runenight201

I always loved almonds until I started reading more about the damaging effects of PUFAs and almonds apparently being detrimental to testosterone levels (read on here and over on the Anabolic Men website). I'm conflicted... I never experienced any palpable negative effects from almonds in the past. If anything, I thought they were a good source of monounsaturated fat and magnesium. I always ate a handful (30-35 almonds max) a day and felt great; I miss eating them, as I stopped after all the research, but I may go back, add them back into my diet and see if I notice any negative effects. I mean, I'm sure it would be different if one were to eat multiple handfuls a day.

Tonight I drank green tea with spearmint and peppermint, milk, and honey. It tasted absolutely incredible and I notices that my skin got really soft and my hair is damn near perfectly in order after showering. I also felt really at peace and calm while I was studying.

Mint supposedly lowers testosterone, big no no for males...but i could care less I’ve had such a positive experience with this tea that I will continue.

Sometimes going by experience is better than whatever research may tell you. Sometimes.

Mufasa

I wonder how much fat get absorbed if you eat raw allmonds. I think it may be similar as that with raw carrots little beta-carotene is absorbed. Just speculating.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals