What About Gluten Free Pasta/starches?

Soybean

Hey fellow Peatarians,

I'm improving my health following Peat's ideas, but I'm struggling with starches. I really like how they make me feel grounded and relaxed, especially when consumed in the evening.

I haven't ate gluten for years after being diagnosed with celiac at age 12. I do regularly eat gluten free pasta and bread, which is made from maize and rice. How well could these fit in a Peaty diet? I've heard that Ray has been reasonably positive on masa harina and white rice. But I'm not sure on these processed starches.

Would like to hear your opinions. :)

Tenacity

In a recet email Peat supposedly wrote that sourdough is as safe as rice, because the gluten is degraded. Gluten free is likely as safe as rice, in that case.

It would depend on the other ingredients, of course.

Gametime

I would like to know if this is okay also, up until July I was eating gluten free pasta made with 100% brown rice every single day and it didn't really give me any issues.. I backed off it when I discovered the peat diet until I found out more about the safety of gluten free pasta.. but considering adding it into my diet now and again because it's delicious.

I do regulary consume white potatoes, what would be better.. white rice or white potatoes or maybe gluten free organic brown rice pasta?

Sainsbury's - Please enable cookies or JavaScript

raypeatclips

I would like to know if this is okay also, up until July I was eating gluten free pasta made with 100% brown rice every single day and it didn't really give me any issues.. I backed off it when I discovered the peat diet until I found out more about the safety of gluten free pasta.. but considering adding it into my diet now and again because it's delicious.

I do regulary consume white potatoes, what would be better.. white rice or white potatoes or maybe gluten free organic brown rice pasta?

Sainsbury's - Please enable cookies or JavaScript

If it doesn't give you any issues what's your reasoning behind not eating it?

raypeatclips

Hey fellow Peatarians,

I'm improving my health following Peat's ideas, but I'm struggling with starches. I really like how they make me feel grounded and relaxed, especially when consumed in the evening.

I haven't ate gluten for years after being diagnosed with celiac at age 12. I do regularly eat gluten free pasta and bread, which is made from maize and rice. How well could these fit in a Peaty diet? I've heard that Ray has been reasonably positive on masa harina and white rice. But I'm not sure on these processed starches.

If the starches make you feel grounded and relaxed, if eating starch improves your health compared to not eating starches, what is the struggle you are having with starches? Sounds like a nice struggle to me.

Gametime

If it doesn't give you any issues what's your reasoning behind not eating it?
TBH with you, I've only just discovered the whole peat thing and I've probably got a wrong idea of it.. by issues with food would you mean symptoms after eating the certain food like bloating or something along them lines?

artlange

rice does have arsenic from the soil. no link, but consumer report a few years ago listed different varieties of rice and the amount of arsenic.

starch must be well cooked according to Ray.

OP
Soybean

Soybean

If the starches make you feel grounded and relaxed, if eating starch improves your health compared to not eating starches, what is the struggle you are having with starches? Sounds like a nice struggle to me.

True, and thanks for your reply. I'm not completely sure about the starches, since I've cut out starch from my breakfast I have more a lot more drive and energy. I'm also wondering about effects on the longer term, in terms of insulin resistance and aging. Eating less starches might give a further improvement to health and energy levels.

lvysaur

Somehow I anecdotally feel the best on wheat noodles, or cream of wheat. I think it has more fiber than rice, but also less gluten than bread, and maybe fewer bacteria feeding stuff than potatoes.

Lurker

rice does have arsenic from the soil. no link, but consumer report a few years ago listed different varieties of rice and the amount of arsenic.

starch must be well cooked according to Ray.

Basmati from California was the lowest arsenic from the CR article.

schultz

I eat the occasional potato Gnocchi. It says gluten free on the pack and the first ingredient is potato.

EDIT: Occasional is like once every 3 months. I guess that doesn't really matter though, just thought I'd define it.

Xisca

I really like how they make me feel grounded and relaxed, especially when consumed in the evening.
since I've cut out starch from my breakfast I have more a lot more drive and energy.
Moderation?
Eat them in the evening and not in the morning!
Also you can drop them when you can eat fruits for some days in a row... Peat says fruits are better, so just see how you get along with them... Well, ask your guts!

I do not like the gluten-free stuff that has beans and gums flours and stuff with strange names if you see what I mean....
effects on the longer term, in terms of insulin resistance and aging.
Excess PUFA fats seem worse for insuline resistance. Especially the vegetable oils. Now in Asia they eat tahini with rice...
Then I would never eat starches without veggies for the nutrition and the fibers that slow the glucose rise. And I personnally crave some butter with starch and not with fruits. I would like to know more about this and protection against persorbtion, as maybe it happens more if the starch is not mixed with other foods? I never saw informations about this point exactly and do not want to be paranoiac about persorption!

DaveFoster

Moderation?
Eat them in the evening and not in the morning!
Also you can drop them when you can eat fruits for some days in a row... Peat says fruits are better, so just see how you get along with them... Well, ask your guts!

I do not like the gluten-free stuff that has beans and gums flours and stuff with strange names if you see what I mean....

Excess PUFA fats seem worse for insuline resistance. Especially the vegetable oils. Now in Asia they eat tahini with rice...
Then I would never eat starches without veggies for the nutrition and the fibers that slow the glucose rise. And I personnally crave some butter with starch and not with fruits. I would like to know more about this and protection against persorbtion, as maybe it happens more if the starch is not mixed with other foods? I never saw informations about this point exactly and do not want to be paranoiac about persorption!
The fat protects against presorption by slowing digestion, but it also tends to suppress the formation of gut bacteria (being fed by either fiber or starch), and so the fiber and fat together (or other bulk-forming foods) can act synergistically to lower endotoxin.

tara

Peat has drawn attention to potential negative issues with gums (eg carrageenan, but I think others too) used as binders and thickeners in many processed foods, and sometimes these are used to replace the role of gluten (glue) in 'gluten-free' processed foods, so you could look out for them.

He's also observed that as seeds, grains tend to have some defensive chemicals that can be a bit hard on us. PUFAs amongst them. These tend to be less in the more refined grains.

He's expressed concern about persorption of starch granules into the system. I think this applies to raw and dry-baked starches but not so much to wet-cooked grains where the starch becomes well gelatinised (I would expect pasta to not have this issue, but maybe dry crackers and shortbread would, and dryish bread or cake maybe somewhere in between?).

Peat observed advantages that made him choose to eat some foods made from nixtamalised corn but not other cornmeal.

As starchy foods go, root veges have some advantages in terms of the minerals they supply.

Personally, I had a period of avoiding wheat and gluten and ate a lot of non-gluten grains and some gluten-free breads etc before coming across Peat's writing.
I'm not currently avoiding gluten completely - I do eat a little wheat bread (not diagnosed coeliac), and I'm finding I do better eating some starchy foods regularly than not. I think I feel better if I lean towards more potatoes and other roots and tubers for more of my starch, rather than relying on a lot of rice and other grains. I like the taste of cornmeal - eg polenta etc, but I don't think it makes me feel great if I eat much of it. Well-cooked rice or rice noodles, oat porridge, buckwheat pancakes etc from time to time.

Would rice pasta be just as good ?
Look at the ingredients and see if it's just rice.

lvysaur

IIRC, the arsenic levels were highest in US rice, and lower in Asian and Indian ones. Might have something to do with those arsenic chicken feed additives we use (not sure if they're still in use)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I usually have gluten free noodles/pasta once or twice a week. I'm diagnosed celiac and find them convenient sometimes for family meals when I need to prepare something other people will enjoy eating along with me. Most of the family meals I make include some type of starch because that's just the way people in my culture generally eat meals. I keep the starch I prepare gluten free and the meal low pufa but beyond that I don't worry about it too much.
I also keep gluten free rice bread in the freezer for the occasional sandwich because sometimes it's better to eat a sandwich than not eat at all. I think the key is figuring out what works best for your lifestyle. There's the hypothetically optimal and reality. I try to avoid sacrificing the good for the perfect because that can lead me to not eating enough which can be quite stressful if it becomes a pattern.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals