Trimethylglycine (TMG) Stops My Dandruff

Pistachio

One is used as digestive aid the other as methylation support
This doesn't answer my question about what the differences are between the two.

Regardless of what people use them for, can they accomplish the same thing, considering they are both betaine-based?

I just bought some TMG after having used Betaine HCI, so maybe I will notice a difference. Will report back if anything.

Pistachio

Hmm, I suppose if betain HCl just donates a hydrogen but then still stays as a salt? But I don't understand how that would survive digestion. I have felt very mild pro-cholinergic/methyl donating effects from betaine HCL, so I think that some of it probably makes it through.
What's an example of a pro-cholinergic effect?

brightside

What's an example of a pro-cholinergic effect?
I misspoke. It's not a pro-cholinergic effect, but rather the alleviation of choline/methyl deficiency. For me choline deficiency presents as insomnia, serious brain fog and confusion, slow digestion, and anxiety/heart palpitations. It's obviously intertwined with the methylation cycle, but having a deficiency or supplementing folate feels different. This is also obvious. Folate isn't only part of the methylation cycle, but also part of the biopterin cycle and more.

Pistachio

New Roots Herbal has come out with a DMG.

N,N-⁠Dimethylglycine (DMG) is a methylated amino acid found in all cells, and is part of the biochemical pathway to synthesize glycine, a major building block for proteins and biological molecules.
Would this have similar effects to TMG?

IS TMG OR DMG MORE EFFECTIVE?​

TMG transfers its methyl group directly to homocysteine, while DMG uses the folic acid (methylfolate) pathway. Everything works together like a well-oiled machine, and in optimal circumstances, both TMG and DMG efficiently pump methyl groups into the methyl pool to produce SAM-e (S-Adenosyl methionine) from homocysteine. Having two paths to get methyl groups into pool is like having a fail-safe system. The fact that they use completely different systems to donate to the methyl pool also means that TMG might work better for one person, where DMG works better for another.

Interesting paper:

Recent Findings on
N,N-Dimethylglycine (DMG): A Nutrient for the New
Millennium

Last edited:

reality

I want to revisit this because I’ve been noticing certain problems arise recently like increase social anxiety, cognition problems etc and I’ve been experimenting with wheat products again which are fortified with folic acid, which also screws with methylation. I decided to try TMG again because I had a suspicion it’s something to do with methylation and my god it was like a light switched on in my brain again.

Been taking 2g again last few days, and massive reduced social anxiety, easier eye contact, much more calm and focused, mood improvement, less brain fog, better sleep…

Going to keep this in for the foreseeable future now

moa

I decided to try TMG again because I had a suspicion it’s something to do with methylation

TMG is sparing choline too, by a lot. improved cognition and muscle strength as well as better sleep are all signs of improved acetylcholine levels.

but histamine sensitivity is usually a sign of low methylation.

do you eat some choline too (like alpha GPC) ? maybe you could do well with less TMG with some choline.

dr Peat had spoken against too much methyl donors.

View: https://youtu.be/sh92Hndc2qM

Motorneuron

@reality You definitely need to review the general picture of your methylation, you've moved something upstream or downstream and now you're struggling to understand where to intervene... a genetic test could help 👍

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals