This woman looks awful

burtlancast

Just get into a small pig farm, buy some thyroid gland and make a video about how to dessicate/prepare it into pills, rather than expect other people to provide you what you need.

tara

Greta said:
:yeahthat

As far as I can tell, even though she may not see some things the same way the OP or I or Peat does, she has worked hard for years to improve the situation for many other people.
She does not deserve ad hominem attacks based on her appearance. I don't know how old she is, but I maybe OP prefers women to look young.

OP is unlikely to know enough about her situation to be able to accurately diagnose her problems and prescribe the optimal remedy. Presuming to, or presuming that what works for him as a young man is going to work for everyone, strikes me as rude.

(I did read some thing from her a while ago that suggested to me that she was undereating. I don't think she should be blamed for that, either. The dominant social message encourages women in general to undereat, and this pressure may be even stronger for women who gain fat because they have low thyroid function, as she describes.)

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

Westside PUFAs said:

Both Matt and Janie seem to tell important parts of the story.

I think Matt makes some very good points:
1. For most people with low metabolism, the causes include PUFA (omega 6) overload and/or undereating.
2. If these are the causes, then it would make sense to remove them by minimising PUFA consumption and eating sufficient food to signal the hypothalamus etc that the famine is over.
3. A number of people seem to have been successful at this.

I'd imagine there are some other candidates, eg. eg cold, dark environments, other nutrient deficiencies, [edit to add:] and excessive estrogens, but Matt may be right that those two are the biggies.

Peat talks about PUFA excess and protein deficiency and various other stresses contributing to hypothyroid states, but I have not seen him write much about calorie restrictive 'dieting' as a cause. I'd be very pleased to read anything he has written on this.

I have only read a small amount of Janie's writing.
I wouldn't be surprised if these are (or at least were back then) a blind spot for Janie. She was restricting calories to limit weight/fat gain in the last thing I read. This would seem to me to be at least a possible partial explanation of why her metabolism won't come up to speed without T3 supplementation - because reduced conversion to T3 is a known effect of undereating. I imagine the same might apply to some of her followers, too.

I think Janie may be right, though, in that:
1. The medical system has under-served people needing thyroid supplementation by generally only providing T4.
2. It has wrongly dismissed many people who do have real problems with low metabolism.
3. Some people really do seem to do better with some T3 in the mix, not just T4.

Peat seems to share these views.
If she is pushing the idea that this is the sole solution to everyone's problems, then I think that would probably be wrong. (I haven't read enough of her site to know if this is the case.)

There is controversy on this forum about whether eating more calories than current low metabolism demands (as Matt was recommending) is the best way forward. Some, including Westside, are very focussed on not gaining fat. These two principles can sometimes conflict.

My guess is that it depends on each person's state and history, that it may not be possible to know in advance what is going to be most effective, but that people whose metabolism is low primarily because they are starving really do need to make consistently eating more a high priority step in recovery. And some of them may also benefit from some T4 and/or T3 down the track.
As you know, I'm really in favour of attempting to raise metabolism by addressing nutrition (and sleep, sunlight, and appropriate movement), in most cases, before considering whether supplementing thyroid is necessary.

montmorency

tara said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97796/
Westside PUFAs said:

Both Matt and Janie seem to tell important parts of the story.

I think Matt makes some very good points:
1. For most people with low metabolism, the causes include PUFA (omega 6) overload and/or undereating.
2. If these are the causes, then it would make sense to remove them by minimising PUFA consumption and eating sufficient food to signal the hypothalamus etc that the famine is over.
3. A number of people seem to have been successful at this.

I'd imagine there are some other candidates, eg. eg cold, dark environments, other nutrient deficiencies, etc, but Matt may be right that those two are the biggies.

Peat talks about PUFA excess and protein deficiency and various other stresses contributing to hypothyroid states, but I have not seen him write much about calorie restrictive 'dieting' as a cause. I'd be very pleased to read anything he has written on this.

I have only read a small amount of Janie's writing.
I wouldn't be surprised if these are (or at least were back then) a blind spot for Janie. She was restricting calories to limit weight/fat gain in the last thing I read. This would seem to me to be at least a possible partial explanation of why her metabolism won't come up to speed without T3 supplementation - because reduced conversion to T3 is a known effect of undereating. I imagine the same might apply to some of her followers, too.

I think Janie may be right, though, in that:
1. The medical system has under-served people needing thyroid supplementation by generally only providing T4.
2. It has wrongly dismissed many people who do have real problems with low metabolism.
3. Some people really do seem to do better with some T3 in the mix, not just T4.

Peat seems to share these views.
If she is pushing the idea that this is the sole solution to everyone's problems, then I think that would probably be wrong. (I haven't read enough of her site to know if this is the case.)

There is controversy on this forum about whether eating more calories than current low metabolism demands (as Matt was recommending) is the best way forward. Some, including Westside, are very focussed on not gaining fat. These two principles can sometimes conflict.

My guess is that it depends on each person's state and history, that it may not be possible to know in advance what is going to be most effective, but that people whose metabolism is low primarily because they are starving really do need to make consistently eating more a high priority step in recovery. And some of them may also benefit from some T4 and/or T3 down the track.
As you know, I'm really in favour of attempting to raise metabolism by addressing nutrition (and sleep, sunlight, and appropriate movement), in most cases, before considering whether supplementing thyroid is necessary.

I go along with a lot of this. Besides, it's a bit odd that someone on a Peat forum should talk about "debunking" the founder of STTM, when there are plenty of people on here apparently successfully supplementing thyroid hormone, either NDT or synthetic or a mixture. And of course Ray himself seems in favour, so long as it's done correctly. STTM (site and book) seems to command a lot of respect in the online thyroid community.

Not sure how old Matt Stone is, but I wonder whether his overeating routine will still work when he''s in his 60s plus.

And as for Janie "under-eating" - people with weight loss problems have been told for decades that they are fat because they are greedy and lazy. With that moral blackmail hanging in the air (usually enforced by people who happen to be born with metabolisms that make it hard for them to put on weight, and think they are somehow virtuous because of that, when it was an accident of birth), no wonder a lot of people felt the need to "under-eat".

And to someone like that, being told to "over-eat" on sugar is extremely counter-intuitive.

tara

montmorency said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/98056/ Not sure how old Matt Stone is, but I wonder whether his overeating routine will still work when he''s in his 60s plus.

I don't think Matt recommends 'overeating' indefinitely, or for everyone - he seemed to propose eating above maintenance for a limited period of time to specifically counter the effects of previous chronic undereating, including bringing metabolism back up closer to normal/healthy.

montmorency said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/98056/ And as for Janie "under-eating" - people with weight loss problems have been told for decades that they are fat because they are greedy and lazy. With that moral blackmail hanging in the air (usually enforced by people who happen to be born with metabolisms that make it hard for them to put on weight, and think they are somehow virtuous because of that, when it was an accident of birth), no wonder a lot of people felt the need to "under-eat".
I agree.

montmorency said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/98056/ And to someone like that, being told to "over-eat" on sugar is extremely counter-intuitive.
Yes, I imagine so.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals