What is your favorite movie scene?

Warrior

The entire subtext of this story between the nihilistic misfortune cookie and the delusional cab driver who was selling dreams to himself is the stuff of legend but this scene here is so real, so powerful and so on the button when it comes to most people and their lives of quiet desperation that I felt compelled to make yet another thread to share with you people.

You are free to contribute and share a scene with your thoughts on what it said as there is something quite special about this medium, message and its modes of influence. Don't you think?

dfspcc20

My god...though question.
I studied cinema and i always found my favourite scenes to be the ones that stired my small human conscious.
Like this one. I am aware some wont like it.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_d5X2t_s9g8

Then scenes from:
—citizen kane
— apocalipse now
—there will be blood
— clockwork orange
—raging bull
—taxi driver
—cassavetes movies
—jim jarmush movies
— akira kurosawa dreams
—heaves gate from Cimino god probably the most visual orgy i have ever seen. A 4h movie looked like 5min experience.
—ingmar bergman existential movies.
—classics like nosferato, dr caligari..
—i almost forgot Tarkovski from Stalker to Solaris.
—Paradjanov excentricities.
—taste of cherry from abbas kiarostami

JamesGatz

" Plato is arguing, here, that for societies to properly function there needs to be a grandstanding myth that unites the people. People need to believe in things, in something, in anything, to avoid the slide into nihilism and meaninglessness. The survival of the politeia is at stake if there is no grand myth—or story—for people to latch onto and believe themselves inhabiting or occupying.

In other words, Plato is saying that all nations, peoples, and polities exist on myths. The myth of British chosenness. The myth of American exceptionalism. The myth of Russia as Third Rome. The myth of celestial destiny in China. The myth of divine sanction for Rome. On and on and on we can go throughout history of stories, myths, being utilized to justify a nation’s or peoples’ existence and actions. This is the truth being communicated by Plato through the noble lie"

"Extrapolating out further, one can say any coherent and systematic movement needs a narrative. For that is what myth is: A narrative, a story, a hermeneutic to make sense of the self and world. Today’s politically activist movements have their myths just as states have their myths. The functioning polity, indeed, the utopian polity, has its myth(s) too. Look at all the supposed utopian states—or attempted utopian states—in our history: They all had their noble lies, their mythic stories, which justified their position, power, and constitution of society.

Plato is, therefore, not advocating lying for the sake of lying. What Plato is trying to show is how such noble lies or myths are necessary for functioning polities, and how without such myth’s polities fall apart and disintegrate. Therefore, it is important for people to believe in myths propagated for the collective good—this is what politicians and political organizations do all the time. One could read Thucydides’ History of the Peloponnesian War to see this first-hand with Athens’ apologia for its empire before the declaration of war between Sparta and Athens at the close of the first book or with Pericles’ famous “Funeral Oration” given in the second book. It is remarkable, all things considered, that Plato—some 2,400 years ago—was right about how polities sustain themselves using “noble lies” and how all “coherent” systems must give themselves a narrative to make sense of themselves. In other words, or simply as Plato suggested, polities and coherent movements understand and sustain themselves through the stories they craft for themselves. Understanding this can help us begin to look out into the world to see other noble lies offered up for the coherency of the whole."

Saw this on a YT commfnt:

Theme of Watchmen and the Dark Knight -

"Peace can ONLY be achieved through lies and tragedy"

View: https://youtu.be/SOSVAHXF4oI

Peachy

This Madeline Kahn moment in Clue is one of my favorites. It’s the only improvised scene in the movie and they had to do several takes because the cast kept losing it.

“I hated her SO. MUCH. Flames. Flames. Flames. On the side of my face…Breathing-breathle-heaving breaths…”

View: https://youtu.be/z8d8y4BLWtI

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom