Ray Peat Interview Dr Ray Peat - Blood Tests, Hormones, Protein Intake, & Ray's Carb List - Jodellefit

OP
David PS

David PS

Thanks, I am going to continue eating the extra protein that I added after my osteoporosis diagnosis. I will also use my scale to see if there is any change because I have to wait 5 years to get another dexa scan. I sincerely hope that I can at least halt the osteoporosis and maybe even rebuild some bone density. Thanks for all your info
Great, it is important that you understand that I am not involved in the medical field. I am a materials engineer and an attorney. This attachment may help you understand more about the composition of the bone (see page 6). It is a powerpoint presentation and it is very informative.

FrenchKiwi

Great, it is important that you understand that I am not involved in the medical field. I am a materials engineer and an attorney. This attachment may help you understand more about the composition of the bone (see page 6). It is a powerpoint presentation and it is very informative.
I understand. Ultimately, I am responsible for my health and reading/education is part of the process. Keep sharing!

SamYo123

He mentioned at that ratio, your thyroid functions optimally and you don't need to supplement as much thyroid. Better thyroid function means longer life.

Our biggest problem for the people who eat out a lot like myself is the freaking pufa everywhere. It's the number one thing that works against thyroid. Gluten comes second I think.
Stop eating out then problem solved

eimearrose

I understand. Ultimately, I am responsible for my health and reading/education is part of the process. Keep sharing!
Do you know why you have osteoporosis? Are you still having regular cycles? I have borderline osteoporosis/osteopenia since I was 30, currently 35, and I don't know if my bone density is improving but I have had much fewer stress fractures since eating enough to get regular period and for me that includes a reasonable amount of protein, 100ish grams per day. I think vitamin k2 is worth looking at for bone density, on top of avoiding female hypogonadism (ie no periods) and correcting underlying hypothyroidism to keep CO2 levels up. Anecdotally I have heard of female athletes who have recovered from the female athlete triad and have had modest improvements in bone density even into their 30s and 40s.

OP
David PS

David PS

Do you know why you have osteoporosis? Are you still having regular cycles? I have borderline osteoporosis/osteopenia since I was 30, currently 35, and I don't know if my bone density is improving but I have had much fewer stress fractures since eating enough to get regular period and for me that includes a reasonable amount of protein, 100ish grams per day. I think vitamin k2 is worth looking at for bone density, on top of avoiding female hypogonadism (ie no periods) and correcting underlying hypothyroidism to keep CO2 levels up. Anecdotally I have heard of female athletes who have recovered from the female athlete triad and have had modest improvements in bone density even into their 30s and 40s.
I purhased a Biometric scale at Amazon for less than $30. I have tracked increases in bone weight over the years. I did increase bonde weight mostly by increasing protein. I wrote about in this thread

FrenchKiwi

Apparently my body shut down after my sons diagnosis of type 1 diabetes 13 years ago. The grief/guilt, coupled with sleepless nights for so many years means I never got my period again and I was only 32. I guess my hormones shut down which caused osteoporosis. I was never annd still am not in menopause

I finally have my period back after using estrogen patches and micronised progesterone. But the damage is done. I hope with good diet and exercise I can build some bone mass

eimearrose

Apparently my body shut down after my sons diagnosis of type 1 diabetes 13 years ago. The grief/guilt, coupled with sleepless nights for so many years means I never got my period again and I was only 32. I guess my hormones shut down which caused osteoporosis. I was never annd still am not in menopause

I finally have my period back after using estrogen patches and micronised progesterone. But the damage is done. I hope with good diet and exercise I can build some bone mass
You have had a rough time! Very stressful I'm sure. I don't have children but I can't imagine anything more difficult to deal with than the illness of a child. I think you can regain some bone mass, I don't think we have enough research showing recovery of bone mass after the late 20s but as I said in my first comment I know of several anecdotally. Including my own mother whose osteoporosis improved significantly after removal of parathyroid andenomas, and she was in her mid 50s then. I think in combination with good diet and some limited exercise, vitamin k2 (and of course Vitamin D) is worth exploring. I hope you are sleeping better these days too.

FrenchKiwi

You have had a rough time! Very stressful I'm sure. I don't have children but I can't imagine anything more difficult to deal with than the illness of a child. I think you can regain some bone mass, I don't think we have enough research showing recovery of bone mass after the late 20s but as I said in my first comment I know of several anecdotally. Including my own mother whose osteoporosis improved significantly after removal of parathyroid andenomas, and she was in her mid 50s then. I think in combination with good diet and some limited exercise, vitamin k2 (and of course Vitamin D) is worth exploring. I hope you are sleeping better these days too.
There is nothing quite as detrimental to my health than worrying about my kids. Sleep is still hard because I am hyper aware of him, he has had a near coma once in the night and I sensed something was wrong. Because I got so sick from sleep deprivation, my husband now does 3 nights a week so I can take a melatonin and pass out 😊

Vanset

I purhased a Biometric scale at Amazon for less than $30. I have tracked increases in bone weight over the years. I did increase bonde weight mostly by increasing protein. I wrote about in this thread
Did you increase your protein from meat and eggs or dairy? Because if it's the latter then the protein can just by a proxy for calcium intake. Not that I think protein itself doesn't help build bone mass, but this is an important distinction to make. Very curious. Rarely do you find anyone who tracks this stuff.

OP
David PS

David PS

Did you increase your protein from meat and eggs or dairy? Because if it's the latter then the protein can just by a proxy for calcium intake. Not that I think protein itself doesn't help build bone mass, but this is an important distinction to make. Very curious. Rarely do you find anyone who tracks this stuff.
I increased mostly eggs and dairy. The increase in bone weight might be due to the increase in calcium from cheese. But my other sources of dairy (mostly yogurt) have dropped off. My bone weight has not increased any further in over a year. I believe my bones are topped off.

Vanset

I increased mostly eggs and dairy. The increase in bone weight might be due to the increase in calcium from cheese. But my other sources of dairy (mostly yogurt) have dropped off. My bone weight has not increased any further in over a year. I believe my bones are topped off.
Cool. Thanks for replying.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals