Suddenly Breathing Through My Mouth, Especially During Sleep

julcreutz

I'm coming from a zero-carb carnivore diet. Only ruminants and high fat. About 9 months.

Since eating carbs again (for me mainly peeled white potatoes) and certain other foods (like high quality olive oil), I noticed that I'm breathing more through my mouth and my seasonal allergies are back again.

Is this a good or a bad sign? An allergy to any of the food I eat? I notice the mouth breathing immediatly after waking up. It's that disgusting feeling you have in your mouth.

I'm kind of desperate because a lot of stuff improved after eating carbs again, but some things also got worse, like the breathing and allergies.

tara

You can use a little light tape or a chin strap to help keep your mouth shut at night.

Sometimes it seems to take people a bit to readapt their systems to using carbs well after a period of severe restriction has meant different adaptations.
Consider making changes gradually, and consider checking whether other nutrition is there in your food too - minerals and vitamins.

redsun

I'm coming from a zero-carb carnivore diet. Only ruminants and high fat. About 9 months.

Since eating carbs again (for me mainly peeled white potatoes) and certain other foods (like high quality olive oil), I noticed that I'm breathing more through my mouth and my seasonal allergies are back again.

Is this a good or a bad sign? An allergy to any of the food I eat? I notice the mouth breathing immediatly after waking up. It's that disgusting feeling you have in your mouth.

I'm kind of desperate because a lot of stuff improved after eating carbs again, but some things also got worse, like the breathing and allergies.

Yeh higher thyroid because of adding carbs back in which would raise T3 will end up increasing histamine. On a zero carb carnivore diet you have much higher than normal adrenaline which opposes histamine. You were probably a typical high histamine individual before getting into carnivore, evident on the fact that you have seasonal allergies. This is basically returning because adrenaline is lowered and also cortisol which plays a role in opposing histamine as well.

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter

So your main source of carbs are from potatoes? What if you cut the potato and rely only on whole fresh or dried fruits. Maybe you're reacting to the starch.

you might want to consider 1.5g of thiamine HCl twice a day for a few weeks...it may help you not need to mouth breathe due to raising CO2 levels (carbonic anhydrase inhibition at this dose)

mrchibbs

The carbs are probably increasing your metabolism and respiration and you need to breathe more. Do you tend to have blocked nostrils (one of them), this can further reduce air flow and force you to open your mouth. A blocked nostril is typically caused by intestinal inflammation in my experience.

you might want to consider 1.5g of thiamine HCl twice a day for a few weeks...it may help you not need to mouth breathe due to raising CO2 levels (carbonic anhydrase inhibition at this dose)

Interesting tip. I personally have been reluctant to explore individual b-vitamins because it gets confusing as all hell, each individual b-vitamin has benefits and functions which overlaps with others and if you start taking them individually it becomes a bit of a chore on a daily basis.

But I might explore thiamine, been hearing about it regularly for the past few months, with people recommending it often. If it does prove to be effective at a raising CO2, I may well start experimenting with it at that dose.

Jpkoepse

For me, it's a sign of water retention. The more water I retain, the shorter breath I have and tend to mouth breathe much more. Why you might be retaining water? That, you'll have to ask yourself.

The carbs are probably increasing your metabolism and respiration and you need to breathe more. Do you tend to have blocked nostrils (one of them), this can further reduce air flow and force you to open your mouth. A blocked nostril is typically caused by intestinal inflammation in my experience.

Interesting tip. I personally have been reluctant to explore individual b-vitamins because it gets confusing as all hell, each individual b-vitamin has benefits and functions which overlaps with others and if you start taking them individually it becomes a bit of a chore on a daily basis.

But I might explore thiamine, been hearing about it regularly for the past few months, with people recommending it often. If it does prove to be effective at a raising CO2, I may well start experimenting with it at that dose.

It is unquestionably effective at raising CO2.

I took loading doses before going to the high altitudes of Peru, and didn’t have a problem. Last time, before I knew about thiamine, I went to high altitudes in Bolivia and had terrible flu like symptoms for 3 or 4 days. What a contrast.

mrchibbs

It is unquestionably effective at raising CO2.

I took loading doses before going to the high altitudes of Peru, and didn’t have a problem. Last time, before I knew about thiamine, I went to high altitudes in Bolivia and had terrible flu like symptoms for 3 or 4 days. What a contrast.

You've convinced me. It seems you went to very nice places. I'd love to go to an high altitude place for several months to see what type of health improvements it could bring.

1 or 2 drops of methylene blue and I sleep through the night breathing with my nose. Without, I snore and wake up once or twice gasping for breath. Could use as a temporary fix while you work on root cause of problem. Stacking with thiamine potentiates effect. Taken with the pre-bed meal can be appropriate. Here, zero/low fat yogurt and fresh fruit juice works well.

mrchibbs

1 or 2 drops of methylene blue and I sleep through the night breathing with my nose. Without, I snore and wake up once or twice gasping for breath. Could use as a temporary fix while you work on root cause of problem. Stacking with thiamine potentiates effect. Taken with the pre-bed meal can be appropriate. Here, zero/low fat yogurt and fresh fruit juice works well.

All the things you mention increase CO2, so it makes sense. I've never tried MB before bed though, I'll give it a try, thanks for your testimony.
Another aspect is sometimes you can have blocked nostrils from intestinal inflammation. It's sort of a dead giveaway
as an allergenic response. This can precipitate mouth breathing because of the reduced airflow.

All the things you mention increase CO2, so it makes sense. I've never tried MB before bed though, I'll give it a try, thanks for your testimony.
Another aspect is sometimes you can have blocked nostrils from intestinal inflammation. It's sort of a dead giveaway
as an allergenic response. This can precipitate mouth breathing because of the reduced airflow.

Yes, my breathing issues are likely related to my allergy. Normally I order a bottle of Budesonides nasal spray at the beginning of hayfever season, but this year I wanted to see if I could manage with Peatarian tools. So far I have had seven histamine attacks. The worst one was solved with 3 drops of methylene blue and a cold shower, and the other six were solved with 2 drops, completely, meaning I was able to proceed with work or sport directly thereafter.

For me these are small miracles. I am thinking of starting a thread on methylene blue as a solution to seasonal allergies if I am able to ride out the next few months without requiring my customary corticosteriod.

mrchibbs

Yes, my breathing issues are likely related to my allergy. Normally I order a bottle of Budesonides nasal spray at the beginning of hayfever season, but this year I wanted to see if I could manage with Peatarian tools. So far I have had seven histamine attacks. The worst one was solved with 3 drops of methylene blue and a cold shower, and the other six were solved with 2 drops, completely, meaning I was able to proceed with work or sport directly thereafter.

For me these are small miracles. I am thinking of starting a thread on methylene blue as a solution to seasonal allergies if I am able to ride out the next few months without requiring my customary corticosteriod.

I feel you, I was very ill for the better part of 2 years between 2017-2019 and much of it was super severe asthma attacks driven by bouts of high-histamine. Benadryl helped some, but cyproheptadine has been key for me, especially during allergy seasons in summer. But I've also found from Ray that asthma reactions can be triggered by irritation in the intestine and endotoxin, and the effects of serotonin on the lung. Again cypro is helpful for this, but things like cascara, carrot salad, and a little antibiotics have been key as well.

Low metabolism signs.

would you please elaborate on this further when you have the time.I am about to start ketogenic diet,and want to hear from members about it.i know there are some threads about it,but still.

OP
J

julcreutz

would you please elaborate on this further when you have the time.I am about to start ketogenic diet,and want to hear from members about it.i know there are some threads about it,but still.

Sure. Mostly low libido, low energy to workout/do something physically intenstive, being cold. Other negative effects of high fat zerocarb diet were more dehydration, that's why I had to guzzle down over 10.000mg of sodium a day

Sure. Mostly low libido, low energy to workout/do something physically intenstive, being cold. Other negative effects of high fat zerocarb diet were more dehydration, that's why I had to guzzle down over 10.000mg of sodium a day

interesting.what did you eat?Did the libido got better with RP diet,what were the signs of dehydration?Maybe it came from the high salt?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals