New here! Need some advice getting started

LivJoy

Hi everyone this is my first post I'm new to ray peat and am coming off of a year of being extremely high carb vegan eating very high starches. Before this I ate a standard American diet and gained 100 pounds. Lost 45 pounds in about a year on the high carb vegan and was eating pretty high calorie not sure how much.
Just looking for some basic advice getting started on healing. My issues are very large belly it's most likely all fat but a little bloating as well. Super low energy. Was very deficient in vitamin d and am now supplimenting and feeling a little better. Waking up in the night around 3am everyday and sometimes end up having a panic attack shortly after. especially after eating sugar before bed. Also when eating sweets before bed I wake up with the most disgusting sweet taste in my mouth even though I brushed my teeth after eating the sweets. Very tired after high carb meals. High amount of anxiety. Was experiencing horrible body pain after consuming oil until I started taking vitamin d. Frequent urination probably every 30 min. Very thin hair. My blood work showed tryglicerides of 430 (I'm assuming from the high carb diet) but good sugar levels as well as T3 levels. I'm so exhausted all the time I basically feel like I'm dreaming. Very low libido
Basically just looking for some advice if anyone's experienced a combination of these or for some things to start looking into or experimenting with. Thank you!!!

PeskyPeater

Welcome,

reverse peristalsis undigested food coming back up, rise up your head end of the bed
low vitamin d means also bad calcium regulation and digestive problems, high potential for endotoxin load, with low thyroid function even leaky gut and bad mood and cognition
bad sleep waking up to pee from estrogen making the bladder muscles weak and not able to hold much glycogen in liver for fuel during the night.
possible insulin resistance from high starch. bloodsugar problem, need more potassium to control sugar uptake and saturated fats to prevent PUFA release from activating the randle cycle that disrupts sugar burning for fuel.
Low thyroid function leads to not restorative sleep and recovery is suboptimal.
Nocturnal stress hormones and metabolism need to be address with aspirin niacinamine vitamine E cyproheptadine and redlight
check your thyroid again and ask for Total t4/t3.
feeling like your dreaming could be low vitamin B and overactivity of serotonin in the brain, possibility to get out of body experience. Then estrogen and inflammation is acting on the liver enzymes that steer tryptophan towards inflamatory breakdown products resulting in compromised brain serotonin system stability.
possible chronic fatigue, try to get your cortisol levels checked. Else your cell respiration is not supporting the flow of CO2 but lactic acid and low stamina causing quick exhaustion. Paperbag breathing helps.

Last edited:

mostlylurking

am coming off of a year of being extremely high carb vegan eating very high starches
Welcome @LivJoy! First off, I'd like to offer a couple of links to search engines:
PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless Use the cell on the left to search Ray Peat's written articles.
Bioenergetic Search Use this one to search Ray Peat oriented audio shows.

I'm just going to go through the info you've written and tell you what I'm seeing. Others may see other important things I've left out.

Very high starches use up thiamine (B1). Here's a link to Ray Peat quotes about thiamine: Ray Peat On Vitamin B1 - Thiamine
Lost 45 pounds in about a year on the high carb vegan and was eating pretty high calorie not sure how much.
High carb can use up thiamine (B1).
My issues are very large belly it's most likely all fat but a little bloating as well. Super low energy.
Thiamine deficiency? Beriberi? Manifestations of Thiamine Deficiency: Another Case of Beriberi in America- Hormones Matter
Waking up in the night around 3am everyday and sometimes end up having a panic attack shortly after. especially after eating sugar before bed.
Sounds like your blood sugar level is plummeting at night and your adrenaline is kicking in to demand more sugar be released from your liver but there isn't enough stored in your liver so you wake up with a panic attack from high adrenaline. Drinking a glass of orange juice with a pinch of salt will help you get back to sleep. The liver needs thiamine to do its jobs. It also needs adequate protein (at least 80 grams/day, 100 grams/day would be better. Ray Peat advises getting the protein from dairy, eggs, gelatin, not from muscle meat (too much phosphate and tryptophan).

Very tired after high carb meals. High amount of anxiety.
Sounds like your blood sugar isn't stable. High carb uses up thiamine. Thiamine deficiency keeps the liver from doing its job of storing sugar for energy reserves. Plummeting blood sugar calls up adrenaline = anxiety. Also this: Depression, Anxiety, and the Chronically Hypoxic Brain - Hormones Matter
"Of Stress and Stressors:
Stress is a physical or mental event to which each of us has to adapt. As I have mentioned in other posts on this website, a Canadian researcher by the name of Hans Selye studied the effect of physical stress in animals for many years. He came to the conclusion that virtually any form of stress demanded an increase in the supply of cellular energy, much like the engine of a car climbing a hill. A stressed animal had to adapt to the injuries applied by Selye. He called it the “General Adaptation Syndrome”. He used many different methods to induce stress because he wondered whether there were different responses, depending on the nature of the stressor. He found that the stress response was uniformly identical across species and was able to divide the General Adaptation Syndrome into several predictable phases, each of which was repeatable in each experiment. Not surprisingly, his studies included an array of sequential biochemical changes in the body fluids. I found these changes to be similar to the laboratory changes seen in chronically sick patients. One of his students was able to produce the syndrome by first making the animal deficient in the vitamin thiamine, thus supporting the role of energy deficiency as the causative factor. Selye suggested that human health broke down as a result of energy failure, particularly in the brain, leading to what he called “the diseases of adaptation”. It is probably true that some form of life stress is absolutely necessary for a person to contemplate suicide. Therefore, it seems necessary to discuss the mechanisms by which the brain responds to stress."
Was experiencing horrible body pain after consuming oil
What do you mean by "oil"?
Frequent urination probably every 30 min.
Low thyroid and/or bladder infection. Please note that thiamine deficiency can somehow block T3 function. It happened to me. I had extremely high free T3 on the blood test while I also had low body temperature and high inflammation. My problem was a thiamine functional blockage (caused by Bactrim antibiotic) which has the same symptoms as thiamine deficiency.
I'm so exhausted all the time I basically feel like I'm dreaming
Beriberi translates to "I cannot I cannot".

another quote from here: Depression, Anxiety, and the Chronically Hypoxic Brain - Hormones Matter
"Hypoxia and Pseudohypoxia in Depression and Anxiety:
During many years of medical practice, I found that a mild degree of thiamine deficiency was responsible for symptoms that are often regarded as psychological. Chronic anxiety and depression were regularly alleviated by getting people to understand the importance of appropriate diet, together with the administration of supplementary vitamins, the most important of which were thiamine and magnesium. I could never understand how a patient could be actually blamed for producing symptoms beyond the comprehension of the physician. Abnormal thoughts, emotions and all forms of mental activity are produced by electrochemical reactions that are exaggerated by a mild degree of hypoxia or pseudo-hypoxia."

Last edited:

Skeletonkey

After coming off of a vegan diet myself I was exhausted but I lost weight so I needed to gain. But I have empathy with the energy lose and waking up through the night. I've heard 3AM is liver time, so supporting your liver could help. Parasites also become active at night. Maybe try oregano oil to rid of parasites and I use bioray, liver life tincture for liver support, or a good spore based probiotic. But after being vegan I noticed that the two main things that helped me was- good amounts of good quality protein (at least 100g) a day and eating liver once a week. I make gelatin gummies and eat them throughout the week as well as bone broth. I try to keep my fat/carb intake about the same percent for my macros. I went a little crazy with the fats after being vegan. If you have issues after consuming oils or fats maybe your gallbladder needs some attention, maybe try oxbile or digestive enzymes? If I feel like my digestion is sluggish or stuck I take zypan by standard process. I know supplements are not the answer and getting what you can from food is best but they definitely can help from time to time. Healing is such a journey and takes time, I know just when I think I've figured it out something else pops up.

Can

Hi everyone this is my first post I'm new to ray peat and am coming off of a year of being extremely high carb vegan eating very high starches. Before this I ate a standard American diet and gained 100 pounds. Lost 45 pounds in about a year on the high carb vegan and was eating pretty high calorie not sure how much.
Just looking for some basic advice getting started on healing. My issues are very large belly it's most likely all fat but a little bloating as well. Super low energy. Was very deficient in vitamin d and am now supplimenting and feeling a little better. Waking up in the night around 3am everyday and sometimes end up having a panic attack shortly after. especially after eating sugar before bed. Also when eating sweets before bed I wake up with the most disgusting sweet taste in my mouth even though I brushed my teeth after eating the sweets. Very tired after high carb meals. High amount of anxiety. Was experiencing horrible body pain after consuming oil until I started taking vitamin d. Frequent urination probably every 30 min. Very thin hair. My blood work showed tryglicerides of 430 (I'm assuming from the high carb diet) but good sugar levels as well as T3 levels. I'm so exhausted all the time I basically feel like I'm dreaming. Very low libido
Basically just looking for some advice if anyone's experienced a combination of these or for some things to start looking into or experimenting with. Thank you!!!
I see this is the only post you posted on this forum. I hope you are doing somewhat okay! Feel free to post an update on your situation any time you feel like it!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals