Substances that increase MAO-A?

crobin0

Hi Guys,

I'm suffering from homozygote mutation on my MAO-A R297R with the risky TT Alleles. (Which I got tested theses days)
So my MAO-A enzymes are really inactive.
I'm in therapeutic treatment of a psychiatrist but I only get monoamine boosting substances like amphetamines, SSRIs, it's really easy to rise these transmitters but not to lower than.

You know some supplements that agonize MAO-A?

Yes I read about risperine. But there is more right?

May you can help me change my life. @haidut

cs3000

i remember way more stuff inhibits mao than increases it , when i was looking into it
similar approach could be trying to balance it by finding stuff with COMT inhibition. (edit, selective mao-b inhibiton wouldnt work to counter i dont think, seems mao-b tries to make up for the low mao-a)
or reducing acetylcholine (but reducing acetylcholine is similar many things increase).

Or targeting the large serotonin increase from the low mao-a.
(idk why you'd be on SSRIs with this considering it makes serotonin rise a lot already Aggressive Behavior and Altered Amounts of Brain Serotonin and Norepinephrine in Mice Lacking MAOA)
some things that show inhibition e.g in cell studies dont actually inhibit in the brain in vivo

could try inhibiting 5-ht2a receptor
Ginkgo biloba abolishes aggression in mice lacking MAO A - PubMed ginkgo was used there shih2000.pdf
The Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761(R) and its main constituent flavonoids and ginkgolides increase extracellular dopamine levels in the rat prefrontal cortex. but is also a gaba antagonist i think
assuming blocking serotonin binding 17% in the frontal cortex was the mechanism , it got rid of the low mao-a induced aggression. maybe 2 weeks to judge effect if tolerated
and if it does work by 5ht2a receptors that should be a lasting effect. most receptors upregulate / sensitize when antagonised to try to balance. but for some reason antagonising this one leads to lower sensitivity with some compounds

Last edited:

vocedilegno

According to Peat, estrogen inhibits MAO-A and progesterone activates MAO-A:

(Paragraph 20)

After all I’ve learned reading so many of Haidut’s posts I would be inclined to guess that androgens also activate it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals