SSRI's increase dopamine and NAD levels, questioning the serotonin anti-depressant mechanism

So on top of SSRI's being serotonin antagonists, glucocorticoid antagonists and promoters of neurosteroids, they increase dopamine and NAD in the brain.

Once you recognise, the false , mechanism of the SSRI drugs (serotonin), you will soon realise, that despite nearly a century's worth of research, pharmaceutical companies cannot make a drug that is successful from serotonin alone, as in the end, as nature intended it for to be (despite what the universities want it to be), it is a stress promoter, released in stress.

Buspirone enhances duloxetine- and fluoxetine-induced increases in dialysate levels of dopamine and noradrenaline, but not serotonin, in the frontal cortex of freely moving rats

As shown in Fig. 1, buspirone and duloxetine alone increased DA levels in the FCX in comparison with vehicle-treated rats (100 and 65%, respectively)... Similarly, fluoxetine increased cortical DA levels (60%; Fig. 2), and in the presence of buspirone, fluoxetine induced an (at least) additive increase in DA levels (240%; Fig. 2). Dialysate levels of NAD were increased by both buspirone and duloxetine (160 and 400%, respectively; Fig. i) as well as by fluoxetine (90%; Fig. 2)

Elie

Forum Supporter
If I remember correctly Ray said some SSRI meds decrease serotonin (whereas others increase).
Can anyone confirm?

I think looking at the list of side effects of the various SSRIs and observing opposing differences from one medication to another's, may guide a conclusion of whether any given SSRI increases or decreases serotonin.

As a whole, the side effects I'm familiar with are serotegenic in nature and are reminiscent of the stress response.

@Elie I remember a psychiatrist saying "SSRIs need weeks to demonstrate their effect" I wonder if this could depend on agonism towards certain serotoninergic receptors and/or in SERT. I can myself testify to having suffered effects of serotonin syndrome with excess Fluvoxamine or paroxetine, I don't remember exactly...so as far as I'm concerned I can't say I noticed any antagonistic effects. The dose and frequency could be a game-changer... the only thing that could deviate the effects is the probable agonist effect on Sigma receptors (little mentioned but with noteworthy roles).

Elie

Forum Supporter
@Elie I remember a psychiatrist saying "SSRIs need weeks to demonstrate their effect" I wonder if this could depend on agonism towards certain serotoninergic receptors and/or in SERT. I can myself testify to having suffered effects of serotonin syndrome with excess Fluvoxamine or paroxetine, I don't remember exactly...so as far as I'm concerned I can't say I noticed any antagonistic effects. The dose and frequency could be a game-changer... the only thing that could deviate the effects is the probable agonist effect on Sigma receptors (little mentioned but with noteworthy roles).
My understanding from reading studies and articles, referenced here on the forum, is that any positive response to SSRI meds occurs due to a gradual increase in the brain's production of pregnenolone, to counteract the suppressive nature of serotonin.

I am not aware of sigma receptors. Feel free to share any relevant info.

@Elie exactly because of what you said: pregnenolone is a sigma agonist while progesterone is antagonist.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals