Parkinsons Disease is not just a dopamine deficieny - mainstream admits

Mauritio

This study goes along the lines of what haidut has been posting the last years . Namely that parkinsons disease (PD) is not just caused by a dopamin deficiency, but a serotonin excess .
I think this is what the study is pointing to , in a very twisted indirect way ... I guess they dont want to attack the existing theory too much.

They also state that a serotonin excess will lead to a dopamine deficiency and that increasing dopamine will lead to a lower serotonin level.

"Parkinson's disease (PD) results from a progressive degeneration of the dopaminergic nigrostriatal system leading to a decline in movement control, with resting tremor, rigidity and postural instability. Several aspects of PD can be modeled in the fruit fly, Drosophila melanogaster, including α-synuclein-induced degeneration of dopaminergic neurons, or dopamine (DA) loss by genetic elimination of neural DA synthesis. Defective behaviors in this latter model can be ameliorated by feeding the DA precursor L-DOPA, analogous to the treatment paradigm for PD. Secondary complication from L-DOPA treatment in PD patients are associated with ectopic synthesis of DA in serotonin (5-HT)-releasing neurons, leading to DA/5-HT imbalance. Here we examined the neuro-anatomical adaptations resulting from imbalanced DA/5-HT signaling in Drosophila mutants lacking neural DA. We find that, similar to rodent models of PD, lack of DA leads to increased 5-HT levels and arborizations in specific brain regions. Conversely, increased DA levels by L-DOPA feeding leads to reduced connectivity of 5-HT neurons to their target neurons in the mushroom body (MB).
The observed alterations of 5-HT neuron plasticity indicate that loss of DA signaling is not solely responsible for the behavioral disorders observed in Drosophila models of PD, but rather a combination of the latter with alterations of 5-HT circuitry."

mostlylurking

High dose thiamine clears the symptoms of Parkinson's disease. High dose thiamine lowers serotonin. More info here:

FAQs are full of good info: FAQ

tankasnowgod

I think this is what the study is pointing to , in a very twisted indirect way ... I guess they dont want to attack the existing theory too much.

Haidut even mentioned this is pretty much how you have to word things in studies like this to get them published, on a recent livestream with Danny Roddy.

Use phrases like "The results were unexpected." Not "Medical Fraud exposed! Serotonin theory completely wrong! We need to start jailing pharma execs and psychiatrists right now!"

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Haidut even mentioned this is pretty much how you have to word things in studies like this to get them published, on a recent livestream with Danny Roddy.

Use phrases like "The results were unexpected." Not "Medical Fraud exposed! Serotonin theory completely wrong! We need to start jailing pharma execs and psychiatrists right now!"
Yeah I was thinking about exactly that, when I was reading the study. How fcked is that system?