Serotonin and psychedelics

siddie

I have been researching ways to lower my high serotonin levels (244ng/ml) and increase my testosterone, which is in the lower normal range.
In my research, I have come across multiple posts that suggest using psychedelics like psilocybin, LSD, and DMT may lower serotonin levels. These substances are agonists at serotonin receptors, particularly 5HT-2A and 5HT-2C.
Can these psychedelics potentially amplify the negative effects of serotonin or affect testosterone levels?
Should I be concerned about specific serotonin receptors or the serotonin molecule itself?

redsun

I have been researching ways to lower my high serotonin levels (244ng/ml) and increase my testosterone, which is in the lower normal range.
In my research, I have come across multiple posts that suggest using psychedelics like psilocybin, LSD, and DMT may lower serotonin levels. These substances are agonists at serotonin receptors, particularly 5HT-2A and 5HT-2C.
Can these psychedelics potentially amplify the negative effects of serotonin or affect testosterone levels?
Should I be concerned about specific serotonin receptors or the serotonin molecule itself?
You should not be concerned about the receptors or the serotonin in the blood itself. Its not going to go down unless you figure out the root cause. High blood serotonin is rare unless you are taking drugs that are cause serotonin syndrome. If not, then you should go to the doctor as it can be a carcinoid tumor. Thats the first thing you should do.

tastyfood

Echoing @redsun 's comment about carcinoid tumor. Peat had mentioned that's the only reason why serum serotonin would be highly elevated, which is not in your case. The symptoms of carcinoid tumor are pretty nasty, so one would know if that's a possibility without testing.

I have measured serum serotonin multiple times, and it's always been "in range", sometimes lower, sometimes higher. The requirements from Labcorp to test serum serotonin are pretty crazy, therefore the results are likely unreliable. Many foods need to be avoided before testing, including coffee.

Peat had also mentioned that whole blood serotonin is the more reliable test. It's very expensive, and they take a lot of blood which is probably stressful.

Kray

You should not be concerned about the receptors or the serotonin in the blood itself. Its not going to go down unless you figure out the root cause. High blood serotonin is rare unless you are taking drugs that are cause serotonin syndrome. If not, then you should go to the doctor as it can be a carcinoid tumor. Thats the first thing you should do.
How common is carcinoid tumor?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals