Is Peat Wrong About LSD? Or Just Too Vague? Antagonism Vs Agonism

Kartoffel

right but peat was vague too and there are many subtypes of serotonin receptors that do diff. things

I haven't read his article in a long time but I think he somewhere says that LSD works by antagonizing the 5HT receptor or something like that. Given that he refuses the standard receptor model, this point seems rather confusing. Adding to this confusion is that he doesn't cite any evidence for this so called receptor antagonism in his article (if I remember correctly)

OP
energyandstruct
I haven't read his article in a long time but I think he somewhere says that LSD works by antagonizing the 5HT receptor or something like that. Given that he refuses the standard receptor model, this point seems rather confusing. Adding to this confusion is that he doesn't cite any evidence for this so called receptor antagonism in his article (if I remember correctly)
you remember correctly, it's the vaguest part of that article. there isn't just one type of 5ht receptor so it is confusing

Sapien

can't find good info that elaborates at which subtypes of receptors LSD is an agonist and/or antagonist
Wikipedia says it is a strong agonist at several serotonin sites, yet an antagonist at none

Super confused how this substance is “anti serotonergic”

Jessie

Most of the ones I've seen are on animals, like this Daily LSD administration selectively decreases serotonin2 receptor binding in rat brain

I think Ray's views were it's medically therapeutic in dosages below trip level. Taking enough to actually trip can be serotonegeric depending on the person, but since LSD is also dopaminergic that may blunt some more of the negative aspects.

Speaking from personal experience, I've tripped on LSD three times in my life. Immense euphoria , felt very dopaminergic. Two times was with the same product, and at the peak I felt really waxy, almost like a candle or something. Hard to explain, and I'm not sure I liked it that much, but the high started decreasing slowly after this. We smoked weed while it wear off to prolong the effects.

When I was "coming down" I got tired as f$%k. Really tired. I passed out on a couch and I was in a sitting position. I didn't even lay down. A guy there left to go get his girlfriend, and when they came back, he was like "well, looks like all the fun is over" lol. The third time was with a different LSD source. It wasn't as strong unfortunately.

Anyways, it would be nice to see more human studies, but it's not like we're going to see any randomized controlled trials on LSD anytime soon, lol.