Scoliosis Is Due To Cortisol Receptor Excess

JKX

Are you asking me If so, then nothing terrible. I don't have as much distortion as some people do, but there is some distortion. Probably it was from childhood but increased during growth in middle age. I tried progesterone from which I did not feel anything, maybe a bad product. Physiotherapy and other physical activities in large quantities with curvatures of the spine in the long run will do more harm than benefits, I have been involved in swimming and other sports for many years, the idea that exercise corrects curvature of the spine is a myth, that with such problems your muscles don't work on the correct patterns.
Honestly, for many years I have not found an adequate understanding and explanation of the causes of back curvature, all the information looks profane, which partially discusses the consequences, meaningless and stupid methods of treatment, but there are no proven mechanisms for the occurrence of pathology.
I was indeed @Ihor.

The method behind the madness of the physio was to maximise mobility in the shoulders and hips to spare the spine, feeding 'slack' to the part of the spine which was curved.

I have a running background and I believe Usain Bolt has a mild scoliosis. He would have a physio mobilise, massage and warm him up for 45 mins each day before even starting his warm up. It was super interesting to watch.

I cant possibly know your circumstances but I would definately be tempted to give progesterone another try, perhaps with a very small amount of dhea. I wonder if applying it topically directly to the area of concern would be more effective?

Mauritio

Why do you doubt it? Substances like DHEA, which lower cortisol, have been demonstrated to be highly anabolic for bone. Is it not reasonable that metabolism and structure are directly proportionate?
They Are . I just doubt that its reversible just by blocking cortisol . I am a PT so I have seen some scoliosis patients and like the poster above me said sometimes there's reason apart from metabolism (like a leg length difference) that cause the scoliosis . I dont doubt that lowering cortisol might help the pain and slowdown progression .

Beastmode

I've never seen scoliosis decrease through diet, at least in adults, but I have seen "functional" scoliosis decrease in hundreds of people via via proper movement/neuro based therapies.

Bogdar

... How do you know it's not the other way around...
Muscles in convex side had high cortisol receptors AS A CONSEQUENCE?
Seems more intuitive this way...

JKX

They Are . I just doubt that its reversible just by blocking cortisol . I am a PT so I have seen some scoliosis patients and like the poster above me said sometimes there's reason apart from metabolism (like a leg length difference) that cause the scoliosis . I dont doubt that lowering cortisol might help the pain and slowdown progression .
Thats fair. But I dont think it would be unreasonable to suggest that the leg length discrepancies may also stem from metabolic and therefore hormonal issues?

The leg length comment reminds me of one of my first experiences with a physio. One of my legs was diagnosed as being around 1cm longer than the other. That particular physio wanted to give me an orthotic. After seeking a second opinion the position of my pelvis was corrected and there was no leg length discrepancy whatsoever following manual adjustment!

@Ihor. Do you have an opinion on why scoliosis would manifest in such a way to put a local section of the spine into tension? Could there be a link between something such as writing hand and the side of the spine affected?

If the convex side of the spine is cronically in tension and as the study @Hans posted, the convex side was normal for androgens but elevated for glucocorticoid receptor density within the tissue, would this not suggest substances such as thyroid, progesterone and dhea to be potentially theraputic? Local application to the tissue under stress could perhaps normalise the stress response allowing better physical therapy intervention?

... How do you know it's not the other way around...
Muscles in convex side had high cortisol receptors AS A CONSEQUENCE?
Seems more intuitive this way...

Highly possible, either way it makes sense the body would look to cortisol short term to quell the stress response. Or would the increased receptor sensitivity suggest a shortfall of cortisol locally?

Either way would this not suggest a shortfall of the protective steroids?

Mauritio

Thats fair. But I dont think it would be unreasonable to suggest that the leg length discrepancies may also stem from metabolic and therefore hormonal issues?

The leg length comment reminds me of one of my first experiences with a physio. One of my legs was diagnosed as being around 1cm longer than the other. That particular physio wanted to give me an orthotic. After seeking a second opinion the position of my pelvis was corrected and there was no leg length discrepancy whatsoever following manual adjustment!

@Ihor. Do you have an opinion on why scoliosis would manifest in such a way to put a local section of the spine into tension? Could there be a link between something such as writing hand and the side of the spine affected?

If the convex side of the spine is cronically in tension and as the study @Hans posted, the convex side was normal for androgens but elevated for glucocorticoid receptor density within the tissue, would this not suggest substances such as thyroid, progesterone and dhea to be potentially theraputic? Local application to the tissue under stress could perhaps normalise the stress response allowing better physical therapy intervention?

Highly possible, either way it makes sense the body would look to cortisol short term to quell the stress response. Or would the increased receptor sensitivity suggest a shortfall of cortisol locally?

Either way would this not suggest a shortfall of the protective steroids?
Yes , that's the difference of a structural and functional leg length difference. Yours was obviously a functional one ,often caused by a blockage in the SIJ .

JKX

Yes , that's the difference of a structural and functional leg length difference. Yours was obviously a functional one ,often caused by a blockage in the SIJ .
Agreed.

How do you think these problems would manifest?. From a metabolic point of view tissue plasticity is likley to be a major contributory factor? A young persons tissues are extremely elastic and increasing become more plastic with aging probably under the influence of increasing hypothyroidism.

Granted there will always be exceptions. In my friends case it has been present from a very early age. I think he was diagnosed around 12 and it progressed further during his teenage years. The progression appears to have stopped after a number of different interventions. He is now in his early 30s.

Mauritio

Agreed.

How do you think these problems would manifest?. From a metabolic point of view tissue plasticity is likley to be a major contributory factor? A young persons tissues are extremely elastic and increasing become more plastic with aging probably under the influence of increasing hypothyroidism.

Granted there will always be exceptions. In my friends case it has been present from a very early age. I think he was diagnosed around 12 and it progressed further during his teenage years. The progression appears to have stopped after a number of different interventions. He is now in his early 30s.
I havent really thought about it ,since it's pretty hard to convince people even to take gelatin let alone thyroid .
I think elasticity is important, but too much of it will create other problems . I often see hypermobil females ,estrogen has some function on loosening up collagen so that's the reason I guess. Other than that I'm not sure would also like to know!
Would be an interesting suggestion for a question for peat !

Mauritio

I think lifting has fixed my scoliosis pretty much. Hanging and pull-ups, chin-ups especially
Do you mean pain wise or did you get checked and the angle was measured ?

ruprmurdoch

I have scoliosis, it has different reasons, for example many people have different leg lengths, through this they get compensatory scoliosis and tissue overstimulation behind it, to which the overstimulation nervous system and cortisol as the root cause are no longer relevant, they will arise as a result of tissue stimulation. It is easy to talk about this through the prism of the Peat, but to fix all this is either very difficult or even impossible.
i think you wrong, most of cases is that SCOLIOSIS IS CREATING DIFFERENCE IN LEGS LENGHTS

J

james2388

Sometimes I scratch my head. I would love for there to be a free MD education online for free.
Cortisol does not cause Scoliosis. The reason why there are more cortisol receptors is due to Inflammation and excessive wear on discs, nerve, ligaments and muscles.
Scoliosis is developed in early onset growth in toddlers with a misaligned hips and or in young children as well that have visual or auditorty/vestibular impairments. Early onset lateral jaw shift can cause scoliosis too. I highly recommend looking into Postural Restoration Institute.

JKX

Sometimes I scratch my head. I would love for there to be a free MD education online for free.
Cortisol does not cause Scoliosis. The reason why there are more cortisol receptors is due to Inflammation and excessive wear on discs, nerve, ligaments and muscles.
Scoliosis is developed in early onset growth in toddlers with a misaligned hips and or in young children as well that have visual or auditorty/vestibular impairments. Early onset lateral jaw shift can cause scoliosis too. I highly recommend looking into Postural Restoration Institute.
That doesnt answer the question. If the toddler has misaligned hips...why do they have misaligned hips? Why can this present at multiple ages?
Why do you assume the problem is purely mechanical?
If the problem occurs at early onset growth, yet growth is a product of positive energy balance. Wouldn't this statement alone suggest thyroid, down stream hormones and stress to be involved?

J

james2388

That doesnt answer the question. If the toddler has misaligned hips...why do they have misaligned hips? Why can this present at multiple ages?
Why do you assume the problem is purely mechanical?
If the problem occurs at early onset growth, yet growth is a product of positive energy balance. Wouldn't this statement alone suggest thyroid, down stream hormones and stress to be involved?
That does answer the question. Why do toddlers have misaligned hips? You must be real popular around here, because toddlers are just learning how to walk, and they fall, may hurt an ankle etc. This can present at multiple ages even more so with sports. All sports involve rotation to the dominant side, It's all compensation that perfects scoliosis and if they ever break a bone that involves a growth plate, it's not going to be good. The problem is purely mechanical. This is not the middle ages anymore where growth is stunted unless someone is raised by vegan parents, even then Uriah Faber, or kids that grow up in foster care or poverty there is not an overwhelming epidemic of scoliosis.
Seriously if you want to play the I gotcha game. Go play chess.

I sorted my mild case of scoliosis with MSM. I believe it has something to do with either selenium or copper dysregulation.

JKX

That does answer the question. Why do toddlers have misaligned hips? You must be real popular around here, because toddlers are just learning how to walk, and they fall, may hurt an ankle etc. This can present at multiple ages even more so with sports. All sports involve rotation to the dominant side, It's all compensation that perfects scoliosis and if they ever break a bone that involves a growth plate, it's not going to be good. The problem is purely mechanical. This is not the middle ages anymore where growth is stunted unless someone is raised by vegan parents, even then Uriah Faber, or kids that grow up in foster care or poverty there is not an overwhelming epidemic of scoliosis.
Seriously if you want to play the I gotcha game. Go play chess.
I know its absolutely terrible when people have opinions or are curious and challenge the norm... Asking a question seems to be a heanous crime... chess is fun.

Young kids very rarely hurt themselves when they do fall? Sure there will be outliers but is it not reasonable to suggest that the soft bones and highly elastic tissues have a role to play in this? Arent those the product of metabolism.

Ever watched a toddler learn to squat? They work it out on their own and have pretty much perfect form from the get go. Try teaching an adult to squat... poor, ingrained learning patterns and mobility. Very rarely do I see an adult able to squat with good form off the bat. This could be argued from both metabolic and mechanical viewpoints, perhaps they are more intertwined than you believe?

I'm not disagreeing that there are very real mechanical discrepancies that can cause problems. But to say the problem is purely mechanical doesnt fully explain the tissue changes which accompany those aquired patterns in my opinion. With ideal metabolism, should those tissues not recover to the pre-stressed state?

We can sit here and argue all day about what came first... the poor movement pattern or the tissue changes, but does that really matter? Does it not make sense that an optimal plan of attack would involve both mechanical and metabolic intervention?

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

JKX

I sorted my mild case of scoliosis with MSM. I believe it has something to do with either selenium or copper dysregulation.
Thats interesting. Being hypothyroid tends to displace copper for iron. How long did this take you?

Ihor

@JKX No, if I understood correctly, there is definitely no connection with constant asymmetric movements such as writing with one hand or carrying a briefcase on one shoulder, this is a very insignificant factor. Perhaps this is a trauma or a problem with a certain organ, the improper structure of the joint, ligament (for example, the anterior or posterior longitudinal ligament) and their mechanics, all this over time causes problems with fascia and limits the correct movement of the spine in different projections and changes the local, systematic metabolic disorder . I do not know what was the first therefore and I say that there is no adequate understanding of the problem, but the consequences are varied and mixed. All these mechanical incorrect patterns and their consequences, how to fix them are not very interesting for me, they are almost useless struggle with the consequences, I did not get a result from them.
Well, I tried local progesterone, T3, magnesium without any success.

Thats interesting. Being hypothyroid tends to displace copper for iron. How long did this take you?
Very quickly actually. I'd say a week of 2-3 servings of MSM (half teaspoon). Gotta be careful with MSM though. I think it reduces nitric oxide too much. Work wonders for my spine though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals