PAIN - Unusual Causes & Unusual Remedies

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Because discitis is typically caused by infections that first developed elsewhere in the body, people with certain medical conditions are at higher risk for developing discitis. These conditions include diabetes, AIDS, cancer, and chronic kidney disease.

What are the symptoms of discitis?
Severe back pain that begins gradually is the hallmark symptom of discitis. The pain is typically localized to the region where the infected disc is—so the pain won’t typically radiate down the neck or down the leg like some types of back pain conditions."

Jib

Serrapeptase has been helping me. 240,000 IU in the morning on an empty stomach with a glass of water.

Chronic neck and knee pain. Over a few months it seems to have gotten a lot better. I still have flareups, but this really seems to be making a difference for me. Never confirmed I have an umbilical hernia or a ligament issue somewhere around my abdomen, but had an injury months ago, and since taking serrapeptase daily that has mostly resolved. I am not doing any core workouts to trigger it, but I wasn't doing any before either, and I could still feel this very uncomfortable sensation all day and it was driving me nuts.

The serrapeptase seems to have taken care of that mostly. Again, still some flareups, but it almost worked like a miracle. I'll be sticking with it for now.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Serrapeptase has been helping me. 240,000 IU in the morning on an empty stomach with a glass of water.

Chronic neck and knee pain. Over a few months it seems to have gotten a lot better. I still have flareups, but this really seems to be making a difference for me. Never confirmed I have an umbilical hernia or a ligament issue somewhere around my abdomen, but had an injury months ago, and since taking serrapeptase daily that has mostly resolved. I am not doing any core workouts to trigger it, but I wasn't doing any before either, and I could still feel this very uncomfortable sensation all day and it was driving me nuts.

The serrapeptase seems to have taken care of that mostly. Again, still some flareups, but it almost worked like a miracle. I'll be sticking with it for now.
I am thrilled you posted this Jib. It looks to be more effective than Ibuprofen!

"Serrapeptase is most commonly used for reducing inflammation — your body’s response to injury.

In dentistry, the enzyme has been used following minor surgical procedures — such as tooth removal — to reduce pain, lockjaw (spasming of the jaw muscles), and facial swelling.

Serrapeptase is thought to decrease inflammatory cells at the affected site.

One review of five studies aimed to identify and confirm the anti-inflammatory effects of serrapeptase compared to other drugs after the surgical removal of wisdom teeth.

Researchers concluded that serrapeptase was more effective at improving lockjaw than ibuprofen and corticosteroids, powerful drugs that tame inflammation."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Serrapeptase is a substance taken from silkworms. Serratia bacteria in the worms produce the enzyme to dissolve the silkworm’s cocoon, allowing the worm to emerge as a moth.

The substance was first introduced as an anti-inflammatory agent in Japan in the 1960s. It has since been used as a common drug both by itself and in compound medications. It is used in many medications for migraine and tension headaches, fibromyalgia, arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, and osteoporosis. These are all conditions that come with overall pain, swelling, and inflammation. It can also be used to treat breast engorgement and chronic sinusitis and to reduce swelling after surgery. Some patients with chronic bronchitis, tuberculosis, and asthma find that taking serrapeptase makes it easier to breathe, because it can act as a mucolytic agent (a drug that thins mucus and makes it easier to cough)."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"According to Dr. Ray Peat, a vitamin D deficiency creates many issues, including:

Osteoporosis

Calcification of soft tissues

Calcification of the arteries and heart

High blood presure

Obesity

Insulin resistance

Hypothyroidism (low thyroid function)

Sleep problems

Muscle weekness

Depression

Immunsystem failure

Premature aging

Inflammation and degadation of tissues"

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"According to Dr. Ray Peat, you can explain the calcium metabolism as follows: When your diet is insufficient in calcium and vitamin D3, several hormones rise including the parathyroid hormone, prolactin, and cortisol. These three hormones are involved in chronic inflammation and disturbances of calcium regulation.

Elevated parathyroid hormone, prolactin, and cortisol all dissolve the bones, releasing calcium into the blood. If these hormones are elevated for a prolonged time it can lead to osteoporosis and calcification of arteries and soft tissues as well as kidney stones.

A diet sufficient in vitamin D3 and calcium is essential for keeping the blood levels of parathyroid hormone, prolactin, and cortisol low."

Jib

The substance was first introduced as an anti-inflammatory agent in Japan in the 1960s. It has since been used as a common drug both by itself and in compound medications. It is used in many medications for migraine and tension headaches, fibromyalgia, arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, and osteoporosis. These are all conditions that come with overall pain, swelling, and inflammation. It can also be used to treat breast engorgement and chronic sinusitis and to reduce swelling after surgery. Some patients with chronic bronchitis, tuberculosis, and asthma find that taking serrapeptase makes it easier to b

I'll also add it seems to be helping my teeth a lot. I think the enzyme maybe gets into the saliva. My teeth have been feeling super smooth and I am not brushing anywhere near as much as I used to. I would get plaque buildup very, very easily, especially after eating not so great food (candy and the like) -- not anymore with serrapeptase.

Perhaps the enzyme breaks down plaque before it has a chance to even adhere to the teeth. It's just one of the many benefits I've been experiencing. As of late I've been taking 240,000 IU a day, sometimes more, up to 480,000 IU a day. People say it takes at least several months to "work," whatever that means. Maybe they mean the resolution of chronic issues.

But it's truly amazing stuff. I have shied away from most supplements. This one has been taking center stage!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection occurs when H. pylori bacteria infect your stomach. This usually happens during childhood. A common cause of peptic ulcers, H. pylori infection may be present in more than half the people in the world.

Most people with H. pylori infection will never have any signs or symptoms. It's not clear why this is, but some people may be born with more resistance to the harmful effects of H. pylori."

When signs or symptoms do occur with H. pylori infection, they may include:

An ache or burning pain in your abdomen

Abdominal pain that's worse when your stomach is empty

Nausea

Loss of appetite

Frequent burping

Bloating

Unintentional weight loss

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"H. pylori, a bacteria that can cause GERD and gastrointestinal inflammation, is contagious person-to-person through either fecal/oral exposure (such as eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water, or swimming in contaminated bodies of water) or oral/oral exposure (such as kissing or sharing toothbrushes)."

Zoltanman

Yayyyy! That makes me so happy!! ?
Hi @Rinse & rePeat & @bookshelf , I just wanted to chime in with an eggshell powder cautionary tale:

I thought I was doing really well, with eggshells finely powdered in my thermomix and then sifted. I was taking a teaspoon a day spread out.

One day I got some intense shoulder pain that migrated around under the blade for the next 12 hours. Finally it settled in the lower abdomen and I honestly thought I'd be dead soon. ANY pressure on stomach from even a slight bend at the waist felt like the back of my skull was going to just explode off. It was like a movement based migraine surge.

The serotonin spikes were off the scale, and I could barely stand upright. Any gastric/peristaltic movement was like doing a sit-up and sent my head into 15/10 pain. It was bad enough to have effects on my vision and my hearing.

Finally I passed a piece of eggshell that had missed my (very zealous nearly OCD) sorting and sifting. It had gone through me like a little ceramic knife blade... yes, it hurt all the way through and on the way out. 'Nuff said.

I had a very unfortunate confirmation of this hypothesis when I was later fed some stainless scourer strands by my local Chinese restaurant. Attached photos was the second piece that I found while chewing a dumpling, piece #1 was swallowed before I realized. Symptoms were exactly the same as the eggshell fiasco... healing took copious doses of lots of Georgi's stomach rebuilders like tocovit & retinil, plus about 400g of collagen and lots of yolk choline per incident.

I now always check what type of scrubber a shop uses in cleaning their food prep areas... and I'm not sure I'll ever be brave enough to try eggshell powder again.

I think this also fits into the random pain thread too, as it felt like a torn shoulder muscle, then like high grade food poisoning for about half of it then it suddenly shifted to a pain based out of body experience of digestive joy.

I've had it a third and fourth time, too, with oyster shell grit from canned oysters. I'm now aficionado of the opening salvo of pain, and know to take a buttload of magnesium to get it all washed out with less serotonin cramping (intestinal contraction around the sharp object is a serotonin driven reaction. WTF?!?!?!? Fun times.) the faster you can get "it" gone, and the least cramping, the better.

Hope this helps someone! Sure wish I'd have known what was going on in time to do something...

thanks again for another awesome thread @Rinse & rePeat !! love your help and hard work here on the forum :):

Attachments

• Scourer strand.jpg
    Scourer strand.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 22
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hi @Rinse & rePeat & @bookshelf , I just wanted to chime in with an eggshell powder cautionary tale:

I thought I was doing really well, with eggshells finely powdered in my thermomix and then sifted. I was taking a teaspoon a day spread out.

One day I got some intense shoulder pain that migrated around under the blade for the next 12 hours. Finally it settled in the lower abdomen and I honestly thought I'd be dead soon. ANY pressure on stomach from even a slight bend at the waist felt like the back of my skull was going to just explode off. It was like a movement based migraine surge.

The serotonin spikes were off the scale, and I could barely stand upright. Any gastric/peristaltic movement was like doing a sit-up and sent my head into 15/10 pain. It was bad enough to have effects on my vision and my hearing.

Finally I passed a piece of eggshell that had missed my (very zealous nearly OCD) sorting and sifting. It had gone through me like a little ceramic knife blade... yes, it hurt all the way through and on the way out. 'Nuff said.

I had a very unfortunate confirmation of this hypothesis when I was later fed some stainless scourer strands by my local Chinese restaurant. Attached photos was the second piece that I found while chewing a dumpling, piece #1 was swallowed before I realized. Symptoms were exactly the same as the eggshell fiasco... healing took copious doses of lots of Georgi's stomach rebuilders like tocovit & retinil, plus about 400g of collagen and lots of yolk choline per incident.

I now always check what type of scrubber a shop uses in cleaning their food prep areas... and I'm not sure I'll ever be brave enough to try eggshell powder again.

I think this also fits into the random pain thread too, as it felt like a torn shoulder muscle, then like high grade food poisoning for about half of it then it suddenly shifted to a pain based out of body experience of digestive joy.

I've had it a third and fourth time, too, with oyster shell grit from canned oysters. I'm now aficionado of the opening salvo of pain, and know to take a buttload of magnesium to get it all washed out with less serotonin cramping (intestinal contraction around the sharp object is a serotonin driven reaction. WTF?!?!?!? Fun times.) the faster you can get "it" gone, and the least cramping, the better.

Hope this helps someone! Sure wish I'd have known what was going on in time to do something...

thanks again for another awesome thread @Rinse & rePeat !! love your help and hard work here on the forum :):
I was stunned reading your story here Zoltanman! You were getting cut up all the way through! How in the heck does a piece of scrubber metal get into food from a restaurant? You are lucky you don't have lasting damage. Thank you for sharing your story. I am gonna be more careful eating my oyster stew from now on! I am encouraged to keep sharing all that I know and all that I am gonna know in the future knowing you are noticing. Thank you :)

Zoltanman

Yep, slicey dicey. As the gut doesn't show you pain directly, the referred pain is insanity inducing, till you get it understood.

As to the how it got into the food? The humble (banned for commercial use here in AU because it sheds bits) stainless pot scrubber gets used on the bench, and drops bits. Lazy person doesn't wipe away all the bits, then next lazy person makes dumplings... aaaaaaaaannnnd that's how your near death experience gets going!

*double extra sarcastic thumbs up to all the lazy food workers*

Glad to be one of the many being helped by your input here :): Hope you and your family are going ok, too!

Rafe

Great thread, Rinse! I just got caught up on it.

You bring up one issue that doesn’t get talked about much.

One is when you figure out how to answer, “Is there any condition that would make me go to a hospital?” and the answer might be “bad pain.” I mean the kind of pain that in a hospital or field medicine that morphine is used for temporarily while a problem is diagnosed & fixed, if it can be.

On endorphins: they definitely have an important role protecting against stress. But they shouldn’t be sought as a good in themselves like the endurance sports crowd does exactly because they are excreted to protect against stress.

They feel good because you are damaging your physiology.

Answer: don’t impose so much stress on the body that it has to slow itself down (low pulse, hyperventilation, cannibalizing muscle tissue, overuse injuries), AND it has to produce its own morphine to protect you from your driving it to destruction.

Also, that’s what LDN is for. Low dose naltrexone blocks the endorphin system that helps with recovery from that. And a lot of other chronically stressful conditions. If you are ready for that step.

For manageable pain Aspercreme lidocaine is great. Use it before pain gets bad.

Lidocaine is tricky. I have taken it internally. I think it has uses, but not if you are generally stable & working on a stepwise improvement. And only in tiny amounts occasionally because it has a very powerful effect, which can be destabilizing for how your physiology is currently finding its balance.

The psoas muscles! You are so right. critical to keeping the anatomy upright. A lot of sitting makes them weak & tight, causing so much pain in back & hips all up & down the body.

Psoas connect the front lower body musculature to the back upper. Stretching & strengthening those can solve so many problems that pain meds end up being used for. If the body is already too immobile for that then pain meds might be useful temporarily. Then LDN to rehab the endorphin system after pain meds or prolonged pain, & once the psoas are rehabbed.

Rinse, you are amazing. I want you to give a tutorial on a filing system. I really do.:razz

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yep, slicey dicey. As the gut doesn't show you pain directly, the referred pain is insanity inducing, till you get it understood.

As to the how it got into the food? The humble (banned for commercial use here in AU because it sheds bits) stainless pot scrubber gets used on the bench, and drops bits. Lazy person doesn't wipe away all the bits, then next lazy person makes dumplings... aaaaaaaaannnnd that's how your near death experience gets going!

*double extra sarcastic thumbs up to all the lazy food workers*

Glad to be one of the many being helped by your input here :): Hope you and your family are going ok, too!
Oh! "Slicey Dicey" sounds horrific! I wonder how many people get permanent damage from your kind of experience. I had a kidney stone that cut me up pretty good too, with blood in my urine for a couple of days. I wasn't right for about a year after the experience. Your experience would be hard to detect what was going on. How in the heck did you figure out the metal piece and egg shell were the issue?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Great thread, Rinse! I just got caught up on it.

You bring up one issue that doesn’t get talked about much.

One is when you figure out how to answer, “Is there any condition that would make me go to a hospital?” and the answer might be “bad pain.” I mean the kind of pain that in a hospital or field medicine that morphine is used for temporarily while a problem is diagnosed & fixed, if it can be.

On endorphins: they definitely have an important role protecting against stress. But they shouldn’t be sought as a good in themselves like the endurance sports crowd does exactly because they are excreted to protect against stress.

They feel good because you are damaging your physiology.

Answer: don’t impose so much stress on the body that it has to slow itself down (low pulse, hyperventilation, cannibalizing muscle tissue, overuse injuries), AND it has to produce its own morphine to protect you from your driving it to destruction.

Also, that’s what LDN is for. Low dose naltrexone blocks the endorphin system that helps with recovery from that. And a lot of other chronically stressful conditions. If you are ready for that step.

For manageable pain Aspercreme lidocaine is great. Use it before pain gets bad.

Lidocaine is tricky. I have taken it internally. I think it has uses, but not if you are generally stable & working on a stepwise improvement. And only in tiny amounts occasionally because it has a very powerful effect, which can be destabilizing for how your physiology is currently finding its balance.

The psoas muscles! You are so right. critical to keeping the anatomy upright. A lot of sitting makes them weak & tight, causing so much pain in back & hips all up & down the body.

Psoas connect the front lower body musculature to the back upper. Stretching & strengthening those can solve so many problems that pain meds end up being used for. If the body is already too immobile for that then pain meds might be useful temporarily. Then LDN to rehab the endorphin system after pain meds or prolonged pain, & once the psoas are rehabbed.

Rinse, you are amazing. I want you to give a tutorial on a filing system. I really do.:razz
You brought up several good points Rafe. Firstly about the body producing it's own morphine. That is the problem with medicine today, all the pain killers, prescribed or over-the-counter, are blocking the brains ability to do it's job addressing pain. I feel terrible for people who get stuck on that merry-go-round of pills, my husband included, since last september. I have learned a lot from his situation. The pills work until they don't and then more is required. He was amazed at how effective the simplest things like a cayenne patch or, as you said, Aspercreme helped. Rhus Tox was another great find! More importantly is diagnosing pain properly. We didn't know bacterial infections can cause enormous back pain!

Now what do you mean about a filing system, like filing papers? :D

Thank you for your appreciation. You are always so supportive of me :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals