Chronic Pain Disorder Is Mediated By Serotonin

haidut

Forum Supporter
In yet another confirmation of how "beneficial" for us the "happiness hormone" serotonin is, this study showed that the development of chronic pain syndrome is dependent on serotonin. Blocking serotonin eliminated the chronic pain condition. So, for all those poor people overdosing on Oxycontin, it looks like a little cyproheptadine can go a long way without the risk of killing them.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140123124646.htm

"...Knowing from previous studies that the protein TRPV1 is needed to activate pain-sensing nerve cells, the researchers next looked at its activity in the trigeminal nerve. They showed it was hyperactive in injured V2 nerve branches and in uninjured V3 branches, as well as in the branches that extended beyond the hub of the trigeminal nerve cell and into the spinal cord. Next, University of Maryland experts in the neurological signaling molecule serotonin, aware that serotonin is involved in chronic pain, investigated its role in the TRPV1 activation study. The team, led by Feng Wei, M.D., Ph.D., blocked the production of serotonin, which is released from the brain stem into the spinal cord, and found that TRPV1 hyperactivity nearly disappeared."

Greg says

@haidut Serotonin is also found in the spines of stinging nettles, triggering pain if the spines are touched, just as its presence in insect venom does.

Serotonin in Plants
41185-Stinging-hairs-on-a-nettle-stem.jpg

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut Serotonin is also found in the spines of stinging nettles, triggering pain if the spines are touched, just as its presence in insect venom does.

Serotonin in PlantsView attachment 2725

Excellent point! I guess the release of serotonin and histamine from nettle stinging is why taking aspirin or rubbing it on the spot helps - i.e. aspirin reduces the levels of both chemicals. Maybe that is how aspirin also lowers pain??

Koveras

Excellent point! I guess the release of serotonin and histamine from nettle stinging is why taking aspirin or rubbing it on the spot helps - i.e. aspirin reduces the levels of both chemicals. Maybe that is how aspirin also lowers pain??

Maybe also related to yours and Peat's reports of reducing/eliminating low back pain with antibiotics?

kaybb

In yet another confirmation of how "beneficial" for us the "happiness hormone" serotonin is, this study showed that the development of chronic pain syndrome is dependent on serotonin. Blocking serotonin eliminated the chronic pain condition. So, for all those poor people overdosing on Oxycontin, it looks like a little cyproheptadine can go a long way without the risk of killing them.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140123124646.htm

"...Knowing from previous studies that the protein TRPV1 is needed to activate pain-sensing nerve cells, the researchers next looked at its activity in the trigeminal nerve. They showed it was hyperactive in injured V2 nerve branches and in uninjured V3 branches, as well as in the branches that extended beyond the hub of the trigeminal nerve cell and into the spinal cord. Next, University of Maryland experts in the neurological signaling molecule serotonin, aware that serotonin is involved in chronic pain, investigated its role in the TRPV1 activation study. The team, led by Feng Wei, M.D., Ph.D., blocked the production of serotonin, which is released from the brain stem into the spinal cord, and found that TRPV1 hyperactivity nearly disappeared."
Very timely and helpful for me personally. Thank you @haidut. I must try incorporating lowering serotonin tactics My neurologist has already diagnosed trigeminal nerve problems being involved with the low-level seizures. Also, I have chronic body pain. Started using Haiduts progesterone for seizure/vertigo/migraine. And other basic RP.

Questions: Cypro would be good temporarily? I get depressed and so fatigued after taking Benadryl/unisom for insomnia. Even small doses. Is cyproheptadine enough different ? I have been procrastinating trying it since it seems closely related to it.
Next would he Asprin? I am having stomach aches with aspirin so using it topically.
What would be the remaining top recommendations for lowering serotonin.
I have taken MB with no problem. Would it be on the list?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Maybe also related to yours and Peat's reports of reducing/eliminating low back pain with antibiotics?

That's also a good point but the low back pain may also be due to endotoxin or bacteria in the spinal discs that the antibiotic is helping with. But something like minocycline known to have anti-serotonin effect would definitely be an interesting supplement to try for chronic pain.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Very timely and helpful for me personally. Thank you @haidut. I must try incorporating lowering serotonin tactics My neurologist has already diagnosed trigeminal nerve problems being involved with the low-level seizures. Also, I have chronic body pain. Started using Haiduts progesterone for seizure/vertigo/migraine. And other basic RP.

Questions: Cypro would be good temporarily? I get depressed and so fatigued after taking Benadryl/unisom for insomnia. Even small doses. Is cyproheptadine enough different ? I have been procrastinating trying it since it seems closely related to it.
Next would he Asprin? I am having stomach aches with aspirin so using it topically.
What would be the remaining top recommendations for lowering serotonin.
I have taken MB with no problem. Would it be on the list?

I think cypro at 1mg or 2mg daily is probably OK and should not cause much fatigue. In the lower doses it may also be safer to use longer term (weeks, months maybe). Anything that increased dopamine would lower serotonin so eating tryptophan-poor protein, increasing salt intake, theanine, vitamin B2, minocycline, etc would all be good things to try.

tara

Is cyproheptadine enough different ?
Cyproheptadine makes me a bit more sleepy. If you try it, you can start with 1/2 mg (1/8 of 4mg tablet) to see how you respond - some of us get noticable effects from this little. Unisom (diphenhydramine 50mg) knocked me out: 2/3 capsule got me for 12 hrs, the other 1/3 for 8hrs.

Koveras

That's also a good point but the low back pain may also be due to endotoxin or bacteria in the spinal discs that the antibiotic is helping with. But something like minocycline known to have anti-serotonin effect would definitely be an interesting supplement to try for chronic pain.

I was thinking along the lines of how endotoxin and bacteria elevate serotonin - thus reduced bacterial load > less serotonin > less back pain

Serotonin Production (gut) Depends On Bacteria

As you point out though there are generally multiple pathways involved

kaybb

I think cypro at 1mg or 2mg daily is probably OK and should not cause much fatigue. In the lower doses it may also be safer to use longer term (weeks, months maybe). Anything that increased dopamine would lower serotonin so eating tryptophan-poor protein, increasing salt intake, theanine, vitamin B2, minocycline, etc would all be good things to try.
Thank you for this helpful info!

kaybb

Cyproheptadine makes me a bit more sleepy. If you try it, you can start with 1/2 mg (1/8 of 4mg tablet) to see how you respond - some of us get noticable effects from this little. Unisom (diphenhydramine 50mg) knocked me out: 2/3 capsule got me for 12 hrs, the other 1/3 for 8hrs.
Yes..both Benadryl and unisom just put me into a depression like tired. Thanks for suggestion on Cypro. Has Cypro helped your migraines ? Or in what way has it helped you?

tara

Has Cypro helped your migraines ? Or in what way has it helped you?
I took larger doses a couple of times (4mgx2), and smaller ones (1/4-2mg) many times, and I think it may have sometimes deferred the migraines, but not reduced overall frequency. It certainly tended to make me sleep a bit deeper and longer. Because I usually just have to be able to get up and going in the mornings for kids and work, I have not continued it regularly. I may try it again at some stage.

kaybb

I took larger doses a couple of times (4mgx2), and smaller ones (1/4-2mg) many times, and I think it may have sometimes deferred the migraines, but not reduced overall frequency. It certainly tended to make me sleep a bit deeper and longer. Because I usually just have to be able to get up and going in the mornings for kids and work, I have not continued it regularly. I may try it again at some stage.

Ok, thanks for sharing your experience. I need to just try it. I would love to sleep better and also if it helps to lower serotonin and therefore body pain.

Last edited by a moderator: