Oregano Essential Oil Improves Intestinal Morphology

x-ray peat

Oregano Essential Oil Improves Intestinal Morphology and Expression of Tight Junction Proteins Associated with Modulation of Selected Intestinal Bacteria and Immune Status in a Pig Model

Abstract
Oregano essential oil (OEO) has long been used to improve the health of animals, particularly the health of intestine, which is generally attributed to its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects. However, how OEO acts in the intestine of pig is still unclear. This study was aimed at elucidating how OEO promotes the intestinal barrier integrity in a pig model. Pigs were fed a control diet alone or one supplemented with 25 mg/kg of OEO for 4 weeks. The OEO-treated pigs showed decreased (P < 0.05) endotoxin level in serum and increased (P < 0.05) villus height and expression of occludin and zonula occludens-1 (ZO-1) in the jejunum. These results demonstrated that the integrity of intestinal barrier was improved by OEO treatment. The OEO-treated pigs had a lower (P < 0.05) population of Escherichia coli in the jejunum, ileum, and colon than the control. This is in accordance with the greater inactivation (P < 0.05) of inflammation, which was reflected by the mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK), protein kinase B (Akt), and nuclear factor κB (NF-κB) signaling pathways and expression of inflammatory cytokines in the jejunum. Our results show that OEO promotes intestinal barrier integrity, probably through modulating intestinal bacteria and immune status in pigs.

Oregano Essential Oil Improves Intestinal Morphology and Expression of Tight Junction Proteins Associated with Modulation of Selected Intestinal Bacteria and Immune Status in a Pig Model

Last edited:
OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

Is anyone taking Oregano Oil? Seems like a good supp to lower endotoxins and reduce intestinal wall permeability. Any thoughts @haidut @Travis @Mito @Bueller

Obi-wan

Yes, I take oil of oregano straight 2 drops from a dropper bottle sublingual for 5-10 minutes (into the bloodstream) then swish and swallow with a mouthful of water. Careful, it is spicy if it hits the top of your tongue. Results are more clarity, clear nose breathing, and energy. I will do 3 to 5 times a day, daily. Actually carry a bottle around with me.

"These results demonstrated that the integrity of intestinal barrier was improved by OEO treatment" - NICE!

Aaron

Essential oils are extremely potent. I'm glad more studies are being done. Many have very strong anti-microbial/anti-fungal effects and are toxic to cancer cell lines. It's possible that others like rosemary, parsley, sage, chamomile, bergamot, petigrain, ylang ylang and thyme could have a similar effect.

Can anyone speak about oregano's estrogenic properties? I am very careful around EO's when it comes to estrogen (mint, lavender, tea tree oil, clary sage, geranium etc are anti-androgenic).

Obi-wan

From Wikipedia;

Carvacrol is present in the essential oil of Origanum vulgare (oregano)

In vitro, carvacrol inhibits the growth of several bacteria strains, e.g. Escherichia coli.[7] In Pseudomonas aeruginosa in vitro, it disrupts cell membranes of these bacteria and inhibits their proliferation.[8]

Application of carvacrol on the human tongue, as well as activation of TRPV3, causes a sensation of warmth. Both pro and anti-apoptotic effect of this compound have been proposed in various cellular systems, but conclusive evidence to support a direct effect has not been proven.[

Carvacrol does not have many long-term genotoxic risks. The cytotoxic effect of carvacrol can make it an effective antiseptic and antimicrobial agent. Carvacrol has been found to show antioxidant activity.[21]

Carvacrol has antimicrobial activity against 25 different periodontopathic bacteria and strains, [22] Cladosporium herbarum,[22] Penicillium glabrum,[22] and fungi such as F. moniliforme, R. solani, S. sclerotirum, and P. capisci.[

orangeUglad

Oregano oil has strong antibacterial properties and can be very affective when it comes to cleansing the digestive tract of parasites and yeast overgrowth .. I personally wouldn’t recommend it as a supplement to take everyday because it is so strong to the point where I think it could potentially damage the gut lining

SOMO

Essential oils are extremely potent. I'm glad more studies are being done. Many have very strong anti-microbial/anti-fungal effects and are toxic to cancer cell lines. It's possible that others like rosemary, parsley, sage, chamomile, bergamot, petigrain, ylang ylang and thyme could have a similar effect.

Can anyone speak about oregano's estrogenic properties? I am very careful around EO's when it comes to estrogen (mint, lavender, tea tree oil, clary sage, geranium etc are anti-androgenic).

If by potent you mean damaging to mucous membranes, then yes, most EOs are "potent."

I took Oregano Oil before and made the mistake of not drinking enough water with it...near instant and intense stomach/esophageal burn.

Oregano oil has strong antibacterial properties and can be very affective when it comes to cleansing the digestive tract of parasites and yeast overgrowth .. I personally wouldn’t recommend it as a supplement to take everyday because it is so strong to the point where I think it could potentially damage the gut lining

Basically this.

Herbie

Ive used it years ago, It bought down some gut inflammation.

Stuff is rough though, bad taste and it burns the mouth and the back of the throat, so it must kill heaps of stuff.

Its best to put it in mouth and dilute it with saliva before swallowing.

Obi-wan

"These results demonstrated that the integrity of intestinal barrier was improved by OEO treatment" I do 2 drops at a time...

Travis

Is anyone taking Oregano Oil? Seems like a good supp to lower endotoxins and reduce intestinal wall permeability. Any thoughts @haidut @Travis @Mito @Bueller

I actually found a bottle lying around and am now taking one every few days or so. My brand has a little flaxseed oil, but since I am essentially 100% linoleic acid-free besides I decided to take them anyways. Flaxseed oil actually has more α-linolenic acid (18∶3ω−3) than linoleic acid (18∶2ω−6), and this is a DHA precursor so it could be worth taking.

Since basically all I eat are coconuts, kale leaves, spinach leaves, lettuce, figs, pineapples, and apples I don't think these trace amounts of linoleic acid are going to be too damaging. I already have the ω−6 fatty acids far outnumbered by coconut-derived unsaturated fatty acids, ω−3 fatty acids from the kale/spinach, and ω−9 fatty acids created through de novo biosynthesis.

Obi-wan

I actually found a bottle lying around and am now taking one every few days or so. My brand has a little flaxseed oil, but since I am essentially 100% linoleic acid-free besides I decided to take them anyways. Flaxseed oil actually has more α-linolenic acid (18∶3ω−3) than linoleic acid (18∶2ω−6), and this is a DHA precursor so it could be worth taking.

Since basically all I eat are coconuts, kale leaves, spinach leaves, lettuce, figs, pineapples, and apples I don't think these trace amounts of linoleic acid are going to be too damaging. I already have the ω−6 fatty acids far outnumbered by coconut-derived unsaturated fatty acids, ω−3 fatty acids from the kale/spinach, and ω−9 fatty acids created through de novo biosynthesis.
Flaxseed oil? @Travis, you going to the dark side?

Travis

Flaxseed oil? @Travis, you going to the dark side?

Despite flaxseed's other name—i.e. linseed oil—this actually only has ~17% linoleic acid (18∶2ω−6), which is less than the concentration found in egg yolk (as % total lipids). Flaxseed oil is about 60% α-linolenic acid (18∶3ω−3), which is really the only essential fatty acid. Without small amounts of ω−3 fatty acid precursors—or DHA itself—brain DHA synthesis cannot proceed and myelination will suffer. Even though any amount of linoleic acid (18∶2ω−6) is 'too much linoleic acid,' I do not take these oregano oil pills very often and eat very little linoleic acid besides. I had bought these a long time ago; at a time that I hadn't given consideration to fatty acids as being potential eicosanoid precursors, antifungal agents, or modulators of membrane rigidity and sterol concentration.

Obi-wan

Despite flaxseed's other name—i.e. linseed oil—this actually only has ~17% linoleic acid (18∶2ω−6), which is less than the concentration found in egg yolk (as % total lipids). Flaxseed oil is about 60% α-linolenic acid (18∶3ω−3), which is really the only essential fatty acid. Without small amounts of ω−3 fatty acid precursors—or DHA itself—brain DHA synthesis cannot proceed and myelination will suffer. Even though any amount of linoleic acid (18∶2ω−6) is 'too much linoleic acid,' I do not take these oregano oil pills very often and eat very little linoleic acid besides. I had bought these a long time ago; at a time that I hadn't given consideration to fatty acids as being potential eicosanoid precursors, antifungal agents, or modulators of membrane rigidity and sterol concentration.
You sure it hasn't been oxidized...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals