Need Treatment Advice For Wound That Won't Heal

Summer

So today I returned from the doctor's office after he took a biopsy from a surgical wound I got in June of 2018 that keeps reopening. He tells me that the reason it goes through the process of healing and reopening is because the cells that are responsible for causing inflammation during the healing process aren't leaving once the wound is healed. I'm blessed in the sense that it's not cancer or anything of that nature.

He gave me two options for treatment:

1) Kenalog injections - steroids, which I'm a little apprehensive over.

2) PRP injections - they take my blood and do a process to get the plasma from it to inject it back into the wound area. This is what the doctor recommended.

Honestly I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

sebastian_r

Certain steroids can help tremendously when it comes to healing wounds / injuries. You can look into Anavar, 4-6 weeks 20-40mg/day.

It will surpress your natural T production a bit, but you will bounce back within a couple weeks. Anavar is one of the least liver toxic and surpressive oral steroids.

Last edited:

schultz

Have you tried putting progesterone in vitamin E on it? Lidocaine is another thing that could be helpful. Also, an anti-histamine like cyproheptadine. These are the thing I use when I have a skin condition like a wound. If I cut myself or something I usually put progesterone on it within a minute and it's like a miracle.

yes I use progesterone too. But insulin can fix wounds that won't otherwise heal. Or both.

Here is a review:

Effects of insulin on wound healing: A review of animal and human evidences - ScienceDirect
Aims
Several studies have indicated that insulin that is used in reducing blood glucose is also affective on wound healing by various mechanisms. To understand the outcomes of insulin therapy on wound healing, a meta-analysis and systematic review was performed.

Main methods
The Cochrane library, PubMed, and Science Direct were searched for the literature published from January the 1st 1990 to September the 30th 2016. Twelve animals and nine clinical studies were included. A quantitative and qualitative review was performed on the clinical trials and the animal studies were comprehensively overviewed. Statistical analysis for development of granulation tissue, microvessel density, and time of healing was conducted in this systematic review.

Key findings
The animal studies revealed that treatment with topical insulin lead to faster wound contraction and re-epithelialization. Meta-analysis of wound studies revealed that insulin therapy is significantly favored for growth of granulation tissue. Based on these findings, insulin enhanced development of granulation tissue on day 7 after treatment. The meta-analysis studies indicated significant reduction in time of healing in the patients treated with insulin. These studies also disclosed that the new vessels were observable from five days after injection in the treated group, compared to the control animals that developed significantly at later stage.

Significance
Insulin is a low cost growth factor and can be considered as a therapeutic agent in wound healing. However, further studies are necessary to gain a better understanding of the role of insulin in wound healing.

And here is a study:
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to determine the effects of topical insulin on wound healing. - PubMed - NCBI
Although the literature contains evidence demonstrating the beneficial effects of insulin on wound healing, no suitable method for the routine administration of insulin has been reported. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial was conducted to determine the safety and efficacy of topical insulin on healing in 45 patients (29 men, mean age for both groups 40.62 years, range 12 to 71 years) with noninfected acute and chronic extremity wounds. Patients were randomly assigned to twice-daily topical application (spray) of 1 cc saline 0.9% for each 10 cm2 of wound with or without 10 units (0.1 cc) of insulin crystal and insulin. The endpoint was complete wound closure. Systemic glucose levels were measured before and 1 hour after treatment application. No patients developed signs or symptoms of hypoglycemia and glucose levels pre- and post-application did not differ significantly. Time to healing did not differ significantly between treatment groups. Healing rates were affected by baseline wound area, patient age, wound type (acute versus chronic), and treatment group. The mean rate of healing rate was 46.09 mm2/day in the treatment and 32.24 mm2/day in the control group (P = 0.029), independent of baseline wound size. In this study, the topical application of insulin was safe and effective. Clinical studies with a larger sample size and that include patients with diabetes mellitus are warranted.

OldMan

Have you eliminated all seed oils from your diet? This is critical. Seed oils produce leukotrienes and eicosanoids which inhibit the streaming of stem cells which are required for proper healing and closure. The inflammation must be halted. I have a surgical scar on my lower leg that runs from my heal 8 inches to my calf. The scar is thick and fibrotic. Scar is 51 years old operation was done when I was 8. Back in 1968 thru the 90s Crisco was a main cooking ingredient which caused major harm to my family and in many ways. Brain cancer Alzheimer's etc.
I suggest you cut out all seed oils Crisco as well)and
Increase in a substantial way your
sugar and salt intake. apply sugar to the wound directly. Google wound healing and sugar. Also Google Ray Peat and scar formation.

Last edited:

Pablo Cruise

You don't have to get fancy...get the Kenalog/Triamcinolone inj. I would use topical also and it will heal up in days...short term steroids pose no risk to you.

P

Peatness

Ivermectin-induced wound healing

Mechanisms of ivermectin-induced wound healing - PubMed (nih.gov)

Abstract​

Background: Wounds cause structural and functional discontinuity of an organ. Wound healing, therefore, seeks to re-establish the normal morphology and functionality through intertwined stages of hemostasis, inflammation, proliferation, and tissue remodelling. Ivermectin, a macrolide, has been used as an endectoparasiticide in human and veterinary medicine practice for decades. Here, we show that ivermectin exhibits wounding healing activity by mechanisms independent of its well-known antiparasitic activity. This study aimed to evaluate the wound healing property of ivermectin cream using histochemistry and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay techniques.

Results: Non-irritant dose of ivermectin cream (0.03-1%) decreased wound macroscopic indices such as exudation, edge edema, hyperemia, and granulation tissue deposition by day 9 compared to day 13 for the vehicle-treated group. This corresponded with a statistically significant wound contraction rate, hydroxyproline deposition, and a decreased time to heal rate. The levels of growth factors TGF-β1 and VEGF were significantly elevated on day 7 but decreased on day 21. This corresponded with changes in cytokines (IL-1α, IL-4, IL-10, and TNF-α) and eicosanoids (LTB4, PGE2, and PGD2) levels on days 7 and 21.. Interestingly, low doses of ivermectin cream (0.03-0.1%) induced wound healing with minimal scarring compared to higher doses of the cream and the positive control, Silver Sulfadiazine.

Conclusion: Ivermectin promotes wound healing partly through modulation of the inflammatory process and the levels of Transforming Growth Factor-Beta 1 and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor. Low doses of ivermectin cream have the potential to be used in treating wounds with minimal scar tissue formation.

metamorph

Certain steroids can help tremendously when it comes to healing wounds / injuries. You can look into Anavar, 4-6 weeks 20-40mg/day.

It will surpress your natural T production a bit, but you will bounce back within a couple weeks. Anavar is one of the least liver toxic and surpressive oral steroids.
Have you tried this? I'm wondering about this application for skin damage from long term eczema.

oxphoser

Try an epsom salt bath. Epsom salt contains magnesium. Also, I used to get a tiny open wound on my toe every winter due to poor circulation in my legs. I dotted it with liquid magnesium and it healed completely.

In the study below, magnesium supplementation reduced the foot ulcers of diabetics. They took 250 mg of magnesium daily for 12 weeks.

——————

Magnesium Supplementation and the Effects on Wound Healing and Metabolic Status in Patients with Diabetic Foot Ulcer: a Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial​

OP
Summer

Summer

Still dealing with this. Topical steroids make close fast but it just reopens. Discontinued use.

@oxphoser How funny that you mention epsom salt baths. I just took one last night for an unrelated reason. Hopefully it helps.

Perry Staltic

Still dealing with this. Topical steroids make close fast but it just reopens. Discontinued use.

@oxphoser How funny that you mention epsom salt baths. I just took one last night for an unrelated reason. Hopefully it helps.

Something else you can try is dissolve epson salts in water and put it in a spray bottle to treat whenever you want.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter

Is it possible there is a small foreign body from the surgery still there? I don't know enough about keloids but I think even scar tissue like that would not keep a wound from healing.

OP
Summer

Summer

Is it possible there is a small foreign body from the surgery still there? I don't know enough about keloids but I think even scar tissue like that would not keep a wound from healing.
I’ve thought about that but the dermatologist insisted that wasn’t the case. Maybe I need a 2nd opinion.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I’ve thought about that but the dermatologist insisted that wasn’t the case. Maybe I need a 2nd opinion.
Depending on the depth of a possible foreign body, keeping the wound open with plain salt water might help your body push it out.

Peachy

Has anyone mentioned progesterone? I used it on a terrible wound my 6-yr old got on her nose after face planting in the street. The moment I started it, her healing sped up dramatically.

I used it very briefly, because hormones. She got a little pimple because of it. But her face was salvaged.

Peachy

Has anyone mentioned progesterone? I used it on a terrible wound my 6-yr old got on her nose after face planting in the street. The moment I started it, her healing sped up dramatically.

I used it very briefly, because hormones. She got a little pimple because of it. But her face was salvaged.
Here’s a study on progesterone and wound healing. It was done on menopausal rats. Clearly neither my daughter nor you are menopausal, but I got this tip from a man who’d used progesterone on himself for wound healing.

Progesterone increased fibrosis in day 3-7 (normal for healing). Then accelerated re-epithelialization days 7-14.

sunny

Maybe pack it with sugar. Or Manuka honey. I think Dr Peat talked about sugar for healing wounds as well.

Peatress

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals