Need Treatment Advice For Wound That Won't Heal

Discussion in 'Skin' started by Summer, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Summer

Summer Member

So today I returned from the doctor's office after he took a biopsy from a surgical wound I got in June of 2018 that keeps reopening. He tells me that the reason it goes through the process of healing and reopening is because the cells that are responsible for causing inflammation during the healing process aren't leaving once the wound is healed. I'm blessed in the sense that it's not cancer or anything of that nature.

He gave me two options for treatment:

1) Kenalog injections - steroids, which I'm a little apprehensive over.

2) PRP injections - they take my blood and do a process to get the plasma from it to inject it back into the wound area. This is what the doctor recommended.

Honestly I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. sebastian_r

sebastian_r Member

Certain steroids can help tremendously when it comes to healing wounds / injuries. You can look into Anavar, 4-6 weeks 20-40mg/day.

It will surpress your natural T production a bit, but you will bounce back within a couple weeks. Anavar is one of the least liver toxic and surpressive oral steroids.

3. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

Insulin can be bought and sprayed on sounds. Heals them very fast.

4. schultz

schultz Member

Have you tried putting progesterone in vitamin E on it? Lidocaine is another thing that could be helpful. Also, an anti-histamine like cyproheptadine. These are the thing I use when I have a skin condition like a wound. If I cut myself or something I usually put progesterone on it within a minute and it's like a miracle.

5. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

yes I use progesterone too. But insulin can fix wounds that won't otherwise heal. Or both.

Here is a review:

Effects of insulin on wound healing: A review of animal and human evidences - ScienceDirect
    Aims
    Several studies have indicated that insulin that is used in reducing blood glucose is also affective on wound healing by various mechanisms. To understand the outcomes of insulin therapy on wound healing, a meta-analysis and systematic review was performed.

Main methods
    The Cochrane library, PubMed, and Science Direct were searched for the literature published from January the 1st 1990 to September the 30th 2016. Twelve animals and nine clinical studies were included. A quantitative and qualitative review was performed on the clinical trials and the animal studies were comprehensively overviewed. Statistical analysis for development of granulation tissue, microvessel density, and time of healing was conducted in this systematic review.

Key findings
    The animal studies revealed that treatment with topical insulin lead to faster wound contraction and re-epithelialization. Meta-analysis of wound studies revealed that insulin therapy is significantly favored for growth of granulation tissue. Based on these findings, insulin enhanced development of granulation tissue on day 7 after treatment. The meta-analysis studies indicated significant reduction in time of healing in the patients treated with insulin. These studies also disclosed that the new vessels were observable from five days after injection in the treated group, compared to the control animals that developed significantly at later stage.

Significance
    Insulin is a low cost growth factor and can be considered as a therapeutic agent in wound healing. However, further studies are necessary to gain a better understanding of the role of insulin in wound healing.

And here is a study:
    A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to determine the effects of topical insulin on wound healing. - PubMed - NCBI
    Although the literature contains evidence demonstrating the beneficial effects of insulin on wound healing, no suitable method for the routine administration of insulin has been reported. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial was conducted to determine the safety and efficacy of topical insulin on healing in 45 patients (29 men, mean age for both groups 40.62 years, range 12 to 71 years) with noninfected acute and chronic extremity wounds. Patients were randomly assigned to twice-daily topical application (spray) of 1 cc saline 0.9% for each 10 cm2 of wound with or without 10 units (0.1 cc) of insulin crystal and insulin. The endpoint was complete wound closure. Systemic glucose levels were measured before and 1 hour after treatment application. No patients developed signs or symptoms of hypoglycemia and glucose levels pre- and post-application did not differ significantly. Time to healing did not differ significantly between treatment groups. Healing rates were affected by baseline wound area, patient age, wound type (acute versus chronic), and treatment group. The mean rate of healing rate was 46.09 mm2/day in the treatment and 32.24 mm2/day in the control group (P = 0.029), independent of baseline wound size. In this study, the topical application of insulin was safe and effective. Clinical studies with a larger sample size and that include patients with diabetes mellitus are warranted.

6. OldMan

OldMan Member

Have you eliminated all seed oils from your diet? This is critical. Seed oils produce leukotrienes and eicosanoids which inhibit the streaming of stem cells which are required for proper healing and closure. The inflammation must be halted. I have a surgical scar on my lower leg that runs from my heal 8 inches to my calf. The scar is thick and fibrotic. Scar is 51 years old operation was done when I was 8. Back in 1968 thru the 90s Crisco was a main cooking ingredient which caused major harm to my family and in many ways. Brain cancer Alzheimer's etc.
    I suggest you cut out all seed oils Crisco as well)and
    Increase in a substantial way your
    sugar and salt intake. apply sugar to the wound directly. Google wound healing and sugar. Also Google Ray Peat and scar formation.

7. Pablo Cruise

Pablo Cruise Member

You don't have to get fancy...get the Kenalog/Triamcinolone inj. I would use topical also and it will heal up in days...short term steroids pose no risk to you.