My cholesterol is really high. Should i be worried?

Stallone

Hello! Today I received my blood test, and everything is fine, except for my vitamin D which is a little low, and my total cholesterol which is 286 mg / dL. As far as I understand that is considered a very high amount of cholesterol. I do not consume ANY kind of trans fats and I try to consume as little PUFA as possible(i am very careful when it comes to my diet) , most of the fat in my diet comes from meat, eggs, coconut oil and milk. So I was wondering if I should stop eating some of these foods or something. To be honest guys i am a bit disappointed, I am a young person and I exercise regularly, I have a very healthy diet but yet my cholesterol is high. Is this really bad? Or should I be more concerned about the HDL to LDL ratio? (I can't check the ratio anyways because i only got total Cholesterol)
By the way my TSH is 0,77 uUI/mL and my calcium is 9,7 mg/dL
PD: Sorry if my grammar isn't the best, i am still learning English!

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hello! Today I received my blood test, and everything is fine, except for my vitamin D which is a little low, and my total cholesterol which is 286 mg / dL. As far as I understand that is considered a very high amount of cholesterol. I do not consume ANY kind of trans fats and I try to consume as little PUFA as possible(i am very careful when it comes to my diet) , most of the fat in my diet comes from meat, eggs, coconut oil and milk. So I was wondering if I should stop eating some of these foods or something. To be honest guys i am a bit disappointed, I am a young person and I exercise regularly, I have a very healthy diet but yet my cholesterol is high. Is this really bad? Or should I be more concerned about the HDL to LDL ratio? (I can't check the ratio anyways because i only got total Cholesterol)
What are your temps and pulse? High cholesterol is usually is sign of low T3. So despite your TSH being good, it doesn't tell you anything. You want to look at T3 and rT3.
If HDL is very high, then it can be artificially increased by certain toxins such as endotoxin. Endurance exercise (if you do that) enhance the absorption of endotoxin and can increase HDL.
High LDL is a sign that not a lot of cholesterol is being used for steroidogenesis, which is a sign of hypothyroidism.
OxLDL can be a sign of excess PUFA intake and hypothyroidism, since hypothyroidism increases oxidative stress, and these free radicals react with the PUFA.

OP
S

Stallone

What are your temps and pulse? High cholesterol is usually is sign of low T3. So despite your TSH being good, it doesn't tell you anything. You want to look at T3 and rT3.
If HDL is very high, then it can be artificially increased by certain toxins such as endotoxin. Endurance exercise (if you do that) enhance the absorption of endotoxin and can increase HDL.
High LDL is a sign that not a lot of cholesterol is being used for steroidogenesis, which is a sign of hypothyroidism.
OxLDL can be a sign of excess PUFA intake and hypothyroidism, since hypothyroidism increases oxidative stress, and these free radicals react with the PUFA.
Hello Hans, thank you so much for being here. About my temp and pulse i think both are normal but my limbs are usually cold, mostly my feet, not my hands. I feel cold on my feet even though the rest of my body is warm. I used to have tachycardia as a child, but I eventually healed, and now my heartbeat may occasionally sped up for no reason (although this hasn't happened to me in months, it almost never happens anymore). About exercise, i actually lift 4 to 5 times a week, and i recently started to be more active throughout my day(i feel like being active for 2 hours a day and being inactive the other 22 hours isn't good) I will try to get my t3 and rt3 checked soon as you said!
Edit: I forgot to mention that i think i started getting these problems after peating, i think that i am eating a lot of fruits but not enough nutrients(selenium and iodine) to support my thyroid. Could that be a possibility? Too much stuff that raises the metabolism(such as dairy, coconut oil, fruits, carbs) and not enough nutrients to support the thyroid? I recently started to eat more shellfish and ionized salt.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hello Hans, thank you so much for being here. About my temp and pulse i think both are normal but my limbs are usually cold, mostly my feet, not my hands. I feel cold on my feet even though the rest of my body is warm. I used to have tachycardia as a child, but I eventually healed, and now my heartbeat may occasionally sped up for no reason (although this hasn't happened to me in months, it almost never happens anymore). About exercise, i actually lift 4 to 5 times a week, and i recently started to be more active throughout my day(i feel like being active for 2 hours a day and being inactive the other 22 hours isn't good) I will try to get my t3 and rt3 checked soon as you said!
Edit: I forgot to mention that i think i started getting these problems after peating, i think that i am eating a lot of fruits but not enough nutrients(selenium and iodine) to support my thyroid. Could that be a possibility? Too much stuff that raises the metabolism(such as dairy, coconut oil, fruits, carbs) and not enough nutrients to support the thyroid? I recently started to eat more shellfish and ionized salt.
It's possible that nutrient deficiencies can cause those symptoms for sure. So it's important to log your diet on cronometer to make sure you're not missing anything. Meat (especially organ meat), shellfish and milk are the most nutrient-dense, so I'd make sure those are in the diet.

PaRa

If these issues came when peating I would clearly check your Iron status via a total iron panel

peat diet nukes iron
Low iron will lead to hypothyroidism and a lot of others issues

B

Blaze

Total bullseye from Hans ,focus on improving thyroid function and or liver function since the liver does a lot of the T4 to T3 conversion. Like Hans indicated, High cholesterol is indeed usually a big sign of low T3. That being said, in the absence of any other indications, that 280 number should not make you panic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarmander

280 isn't that high

Ratios are more important then the raw numbers. Google cholesterol ratios and you will find some to consider

OP
S

Stallone

but high cholesterol is low Thyroid, period
Total bullseye from Hans ,focus on improving thyroid function and or liver function since the liver does a lot of the T4 to T3 conversion. Like Hans indicated, High cholesterol is indeed usually a big sign of low T3. That being said, in the absence of any other indications, that 280 number should not make you panic.
I got my t3 and t4 tested and it's apparently OK. My total t3 is 119 ng/dL and total t4 is 6.22 ug/dL. About my cholesterol, HDL is 68 mg/dL and LDL 183 mg/dL. I don't know what's wrong with me :/, my diet is extremely healthy yet i am having so much problems and hypothyroidism symptoms, but my exams are normal and my cholesterol is really high. I don't know what to do.

David PS

I got my t3 and t4 tested and it's apparently OK. My total t3 is 119 ng/dL and total t4 is 6.22 ug/dL. About my cholesterol, HDL is 68 mg/dL and LDL 183 mg/dL. I don't know what's wrong with me :/, my diet is extremely healthy yet i am having so much problems and hypothyroidism symptoms, but my exams are normal and my cholesterol is really high. I don't know what to do.

Your numbers are not something to panic over. The ratio of LDL to HDL is less than 3.0 so you are in the optimum range.

If you are eating a very low carb diet your total cholesterol will be above the range. For me the the general rule is that the body will make the exact amount of cholesterol that it needs to function.

If you feel you must bring you number down, consider nutraceuticals. Stay away from pharmaceuticals. There are a number of different nutraceuticals that may be helpful. One that comes to mind for me is Policosanol.

OP
S

Stallone

Your numbers are not something to panic over. The ratio of LDL to HDL is less than 3.0 so you are in the optimum range.

If you are eating a very low carb diet your total cholesterol will be above the range. For me the the general rule is that the body will make the exact amount of cholesterol that it needs to function.

If you feel you must bring you number down, consider nutraceuticals. Stay away from pharmaceuticals. There are a number of different nutraceuticals that may be helpful. One that comes to mind for me is Policosanol.

Thanks for your reply , i will try eat more carbs as you said and reduce my fat consumption a little bit, i always thought a high intake of saturated fat was good but i am not feeling with enough energy lately so i think that reducing saturated fat and increasing carbs could be a good choice!

Hans

Forum Supporter
The reference range for T3 is 80-220 ng/dL, which means that yours are close to the middle. Studies have actually shown that the mid-range should actually be the bottom range, so I'd definitely focus on getting that one up to the top range.

mamakitty

Thanks for your reply , i will try eat more carbs as you said and reduce my fat consumption a little bit, i always thought a high intake of saturated fat was good but i am not feeling with enough energy lately so i think that reducing saturated fat and increasing carbs could be a good choice!
Any updates? How’s it going for you?

frannybananny

Has anyone here ever used policosanol and can tell me of any side effects if any? Does it make you tired or sleepy? None of these articles on PubMed mention side effects.

Chad_Catholic

I dropped my child cholesterol 70 points in 2 months by cutting out fat and taking T3

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals