What is the role of progesterone in the metabolism of cholesterol?

Honeycomb

Hi! I am new on here and wonder if someone can help me. I am trying to gather the pieces of my super high LDL cholesterol “puzzle”. I don’t eat much fat and my triglycerides seem fine. I have turned down statins and questioned hypothyroidism but based on my blood tests results, the consultant categorically ruled that out. As I am also losing hair I am wondering if my hormones aren’t simply out of balance. Could it be linked to a lack of progesterone? How important is progesterone for the metabolism of cholesterol? Should post-menopausal women supplement progesterone regardless of their levels? I should probably get my hormones checked. Can anyone recommend an accurate test? Thank you all.

B

Blaze

Hi! I am new on here and wonder if someone can help me. I am trying to gather the pieces of my super high LDL cholesterol “puzzle”. I don’t eat much fat and my triglycerides seem fine. I have turned down statins and questioned hypothyroidism but based on my blood tests results, the consultant categorically ruled that out. As I am also losing hair I am wondering if my hormones aren’t simply out of balance. Could it be linked to a lack of progesterone? How important is progesterone for the metabolism of cholesterol? Should post-menopausal women supplement progesterone regardless of their levels? I should probably get my hormones checked. Can anyone recommend an accurate test? Thank you all.
I would focus more on insufficient dietary choline (which is a key factor in 1 carbon metabolism / lipid metabolism) as being related to the LDL issue, than any link to progesterone.

OP
Honeycomb

Honeycomb

I had no idea that low choline intake was linked to high cholesterol levels, yet I have read so much about cholesterol over the summer. It is so complex! I am going to look into this. Thank you @Blaze for pointing this out. I really appreciate any info as I am at a complete loss. I have been eating less eggs lately, which could be ironic... I simply don’t know what to eat anymore!

B

Blaze

I had no idea that low choline intake was linked to high cholesterol levels, yet I have read so much about cholesterol over the summer. It is so complex! I am going to look into this. Thank you @Blaze for pointing this out. I really appreciate any info as I am at a complete loss. I have been eating less eggs lately, which could be ironic... I simply don’t know what to eat anymore!
A lot of us trying to learn what diet works best for us end up feeling that same way. After eliminating foods we think are problematic, there sometimes seems to be very few things left to use in our newly revised dietary strategy.

No matter what foods you decide to eat or avoid, you must get sufficient nutrients and protein and carbs and sufficient calories or your health will suffer, which is the opposite of what you are trying to accomplish.

Frankdee20

I would focus more on insufficient dietary choline (which is a key factor in 1 carbon metabolism / lipid metabolism) as being related to the LDL issue, than any link to progesterone.
On the one hand, choline helps conjugate fats out of the liver.

On the other hand, eggs being the best source, also add dietary cholesterol to the mix.

Not sure how eating cholesterol influences blood numbers.

It’s good for me to know also, since I have elevated cholesterol and 500 triglycerides.

My TSH and thyroid panels are good. I reacted horribly to thyroid for the two days taking it.

OP
Honeycomb

Honeycomb

@Frankdee20 What kind of thyroid did you take and can you describe how it affected you? I am really interested.
My TSH and basic thyroid test also look “normal”. I have personally been too scared to try thyroid as a means to reduce my cholesterol. I don’t want to mess something else up!

I have just come across this transcript. A really good interview with as always a huge amount of information from Dr Peat!
Maybe you will find it useful.

Thread 'Cholesterol And Saturated Fats - East West Healing'
Cholesterol And Saturated Fats - East West Healing

Frankdee20

I’m
@Frankdee20 What kind of thyroid did you take and can you describe how it affected you? I am really interested.
My TSH and basic thyroid test also look “normal”. I have personally been too scared to try thyroid as a means to reduce my cholesterol. I don’t want to mess something else up!

I have just come across this transcript. A really good interview with as always a huge amount of information from Dr Peat!
Maybe you will find it useful.

Thread 'Cholesterol And Saturated Fats - East West Healing'
Cholesterol And Saturated Fats - East West Healing
one of Idealabs amphetamines lol

Used it one time and it sent me to Pluto faster than New Horizons spacecraft… not in a good way. Can’t stand anything that makes me anxious like that

Last edited: