I Have High Serotonin Levels, But Trypthophan Helped Me - Strange Case

ruprmurdoch

Hi

I've got for several years symptoms of high serotonin/carcinoid syndrome(restless kind of apathy, sleepness). It was based on lab test (High ACTH, High Cortisol, High 5 Hiaa in urine, high insulin, lowerish Lh and Fsh and so on Testosterone). The reason is probably Partially emty sella. It make my pituiatary have lower height than it should (have around 3mm, should be 6mm).

First thing which doc prescribed to me was Clomid. But with elevation of LH and FSH, ACTH also elevate. So in summary I was more stressed than without it.

Then I read on this forum about serotonin, and tried to combat it on my own. First I tried selegiline to raise dopamine. But on selegiline my cortisol levels was still high and that leads to quick conversion of dopamine to NE and E. Next I tried Mirtazapine, and that was very bad experience, I slept for 16 hours, and eat a lot for two days, just after 1 pill. I leave mirta after this one pill.

Then I tried Niacin (vit b3), and it give me some effects. I was calmed down. I did lab tests, and my insulin lower and glucose raise, i suspect acth and cortisol as well drop. But my LH and FSH drop also, and so Testosterone. I then tried one more time clomid, and everything back to my ,,start position''.

Few days ago i tried trypthophan, and I must say i'm completly suprised. After 1000-2000mg. I fell for 1-2 hours like I could be in love with girl again (it was impossible), my dreams are vivid, I'm full of positive emotions. I think that I'm releasing more oxytocin. How can this be possible, that trypthophan helped a person with problem with high serotonin ??? I'm going to visit my doctor soon and ask him about drug called buspar. As I read on web, it increase ,,love'' feeling, and as I see this is what I need.

Frankdee20

Tryptophan can convert to Niacin. High serotonin in peripherals doesn't mean high Serotonin in the brain. That's why those urine tests are pointless for definitively stating what's in the brain and where. You may have possibly activated good 5ht receptors with this new influx. Just be careful though, because it may be great at first, but too much isn't good down the line. You can read those Amazon reviews and see what I mean. Buspar has affinity for 5ht1A on one specific side, I forgot if it's pre or post agonism or blockade.

OP
R

ruprmurdoch

High serotonin in peripherals doesn't mean high Serotonin in the brain. That's why those urine tests are pointless for definitively stating what's in the brain and where. You may have possibly activated good 5ht receptors with this new influx.

That was my first though as well. I think that ,,high serotonin'' is not that bad. My way of reasoning is next:
1. It's important where in our body body serotonin is.
2.urine test is for metabolit of serotonin-5 HIAA, not serotonin itself. actually, maybe the problem is to low levels of serotonin. Maybe the clue is to stop to quick metabolism of serotonin to 5 HIAA in order to keep it in our system ? With my experience I see that this is possible explanation, beacuse in all cases when people write about their problems with serotonin, one cicumstance occur - high acth (during most of day and night), which lead to high insulin, cortisol and histamine. Probably by lowering Acth you will lower you serotonin metabolism, and 5 Hiaa as well.

just be careful though, because it may be great at first, but too much isn't good down the line. You can read those Amazon reviews and see what I mean. Buspar has affinity for 5ht1A on one specific side, I forgot if it's pre or post agonism or blockade.

Sorry, don't understand, you mean Buspar or trypthophan in this sentence ?

Frankdee20

That was my first though as well. I think that ,,high serotonin'' is not that bad. My way of reasoning is next:
1. It's important where in our body body serotonin is.
2.urine test is for metabolit of serotonin-5 HIAA, not serotonin itself. actually, maybe the problem is to low levels of serotonin. Maybe the clue is to stop to quick metabolism of serotonin to 5 HIAA in order to keep it in our system ? With my experience I see that this is possible explanation, beacuse in all cases when people write about their problems with serotonin, one cicumstance occur - high acth (during most of day and night), which lead to high insulin, cortisol and histamine. Probably by lowering Acth you will lower you serotonin metabolism, and 5 Hiaa as well.

Sorry, don't understand, you mean Buspar or trypthophan in this sentence ?

The last sentence refers to Buspar mechanism of action. The one before urges caution with Tryptophan (although not as bad as 5HTP).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals