I Had A Heart Attack On Sat 22/8/2015

High I wrote in another topic about my situation, anyway was discharged from hospital today,I had 3 stents placed in right coronary artery,very long procedure and pretty painful.I was prescribed meds including 40mg statin ,Under pressure from family will take meds.But further down the line I would like to try supplements as I had side effects from statins previously .can I take supps along side or not

kiran

You should also get your calcium, vit D, PTH etc tested,since you mentioned that you have bad teeth in another post. Drop the statins if you can, thyroid should reduce the cholesterol.

Supplements are important and you may want to use CoQ10, vit D and K2, because statins are known to cause a deficiency.

just a random link: https://drcolinobrien.wordpress.com/201 ... -d-and-k2/

Henry

Kiran's advice of dropping statins is biased and dangerous - it´s after an heart attack where statins have been confidently shown to work and reduce mortality. Make sure you also receive an ACE-inhibitor, low-dose aspirin and a beta-blocker. Get your heart function checked by echocardiography after around 3 months. And the data of statins reducing Q10 is not convincing, nor is there good evidence that Q10 reduces side effects of statins or that this brings any additional benefit.

Amazoniac

Let's not start a discussion on statins: the op had a heart attack, if that doesn't touch you, I don't know what will. Everyone who's under extreme circumstances doesn't need more confounding variables, contradictory information; for that, there's a quick Google search..

Well, now there are four more people doing Google searches for him...

Amazoniac

Elderflower j58 said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/95777/ Hi everyone,newbie here,I'm not very good at this sort of thing,but anyway here goes.age 58 ,3 children, 2 grandchildren.stumbled upon Peatabout 9 months ago while searching web for alternatives to heart meds.have not managed to incorporate food yet,except for stopping 90% vegetable oils?Have a lot of fatigue ,body clock upside down,no motivation ,house in disarray.I rarely leave house. Teeth very bad lots missing,rest are very loose.Age 39 had 2 angioplastys ,then down the line 2 more with stents.Stopped all meds in November,doctors not happy.Was scared at first but strangely angina has decreased greatly.certainly don't miss the 80mg statin I was on for 19 years.very recently feel my heart is in trouble again .sorry to go on need some help

First attempt, no responses. 1 week later, heart attack.
What have you implemented so far?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mittir

Statin has anti-inflammatory property. It is very likely that positive effect of Statin is due to
it's anti-inflammatory action and not it's cholesterol lowering effect.

Statin should be a problem if it lowers cholesterol below normal range.
This is called Hypocholesterolemia, which used to be defined as total cholesterol
below 160. Now, some doctors use much lower value. You will notice that
Statin side effects are almost identical to symptoms of Hypocholesterolemia .

I think it is very risky to stop medication without understanding the mechanism
and you have serious heart problems for decades. I think it is best to consult with
your doctor before stopping any medication and you can show him studies that
supports use of supplements that helps with heart disease.

A nutritious diet can reverse coronary heart disease and Dean Ornish showed that in his work.
I do not totally agree with his recommendation but he must be doing something right to
fix heart disease with life style and diet. Please do your research and consult with your doctor
before you stop medication.

tara

OP
E
Hello again, thanks for all responses.I was prescribed ramipril 2.5mg, clopidrogel 75mg,bisoprolol 1.25 mg,aspirin 85mg,40mg statin.Total cholesteral 6.9.18 years ago cholesteral was 9 I was told I had hypercholesterol .not sure what this means it's on today's discharge letter. Blood Hb 124,Wcc 6.99, Cr66,Ur4.9,eGFR-85, Na 142,K4.2,trop 10-70,Chol6.9 LDL 5.1 , TFT normal.thank you in advance

aguilaroja

Elderflower j58 said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97034/ Hello again, thanks for all responses.I was prescribed ramipril 2.5mg, clopidrogel 75mg,bisoprolol 1.25 mg,aspirin 85mg,40mg statin.Total cholesteral 6.9.18 years ago cholesteral was 9 I was told I had hypercholesterol .not sure what this means it's on today's discharge letter. Blood Hb 124,Wcc 6.99, Cr66,Ur4.9,eGFR-85, Na 142,K4.2,trop 10-70,Chol6.9 LDL 5.1 , TFT normal.thank you in advance

It would be instructive to get the full TFT (thyroid function test) numbers, rather than a report they are in a normal range. Is it accurate to conclude that Cr is creatine, in units of µmol/L?

aguilaroja

Henry said:
... the data of statins reducing Q10 is not convincing, nor is there good evidence that Q10 reduces side effects of statins or that this brings any additional benefit.

The observations raised by Henry are worthy. Recent research has questioned the effectiveness of CoQ10 for reducing statin side effects, However, data for suggesting that statins lower CoQ10 seem pretty suggestive. See, for instance:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26192349

Statin therapy and plasma coenzyme Q10 concentrations-A systematic review and meta-analysis of placebo-controlled trials.
Banach M, Serban C, Ursoniu S, etc Lipid and Blood Pressure Meta-analysis Collaboration (LBPMC) Group.
Pharmacol Res. 2015 Jul 17;99:329-336. doi: 10.1016/j.phrs.2015.07.008.

"The data from 8 placebo-controlled treatment arms suggested a significant reduction in plasma CoQ10 concentrations following treatment with statins ... p<0.001). The pooled effect size was robust....Subgroup analysis suggested that the impact of statins on plasma CoQ10 concentrations is significant for all 4 types of statins...."

OP
E
I'm going to have to learn about all these tests ie blood ,iron,cholesteral,thyroid, etc.I must appear very uninformed,because I am so bear with me,also I'm on sickness benifet so cant afford private tests.what tests am I entitled to on NHS,?

Stilgar

Being uninformed but willing to learn is the first step towards healing and getting better, so don't worry. We have all been there.

You are entitled to very basic thyroid tests on the NHS, which tests your free T4 and TSH, unless you have a recognised thyroid issue being treated by a endocrinologist. It is not a great help, but it is a start. Most doctors won't test thyroid function, unless you are getting a standard blood test or if there is clinical reason, i.e. you have symptoms that possibly indicate thyroid dysfunction. The most likely way you can get this test, is if you say that you have a family history of poor thyroid function, and related heart problems. It may not be true, but it will likely save you being met with discouragement and negativity, and repeated visits to the doctor to nag them about getting the tests you need. You can do this with your GP usually, or your consultant.

The important point is that you ask for your test results, especially for the thyroid. You may have had them done in the past, in which case you are free to access them and ask for a copy under freedom of information. You will only be told they are 'satisfactory' or 'adequate' and you will rarely be told figures unless you ask.

Using a traditional diet based on real foods that exist in nature, is probably the most recognised natural way to remedy heart disease. It can be tough, because your heart may be weak and you will need to tread carefully and take on board doctors advice, medications and your own instincts and research.

Research, research, research. Be gentle with yourself.

Nina

Mittir said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97001/ I think it is very risky to stop medication without understanding the mechanism and you have serious heart problems for decades. I think it is best to consult with
your doctor before stopping any medication and you can show him studies that
supports use of supplements that helps with heart disease.

A nutritious diet can reverse coronary heart disease and Dean Ornish showed that in his work.
I do not totally agree with his recommendation but he must be doing something right to
fix heart disease with life style and diet. Please do your research and consult with your doctor
before you stop medication.

Elderflower, please listen to your doctor and take your medication. You can still follow a Peat-style nutrition, but this can take some time to bring results.

Also, a lot of people have their own interpretation of Peat. I know it took me months to integrate most of his ideas in my daily habits. Do you use cronometer?

burtlancast

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals