How To Raise DHEAS (Without Supplements)

Steve

I've been hypo for a while, on 2 grains of NDT for the past 5 months. Temp & pulse are still not optimal.
Been feeling a little better the past few days though.

On my last 2 labs my DHEAS has been quite low. My doctor thinks I should probably start a DHEA supplement. But I'm tired of supplements & pills.

Is there anything else I can try, or is there a way to figure out "why" my DHEAS is so low?
I have plenty of cholesterol (244), 45 years old. Cortisol came back pretty decent except for a high evening reading.

12-10-16
DHEAS (Blood) 130.2 (34.5-568.9 UG/DL)

2-26-17
DHEAS
(Saliva) 5.7 ng/mL 2-23 ng/mL (Age Dependent)
Cortisol (Saliva) 6.8 ng/mL 3.7-9.5 ng/mL (morning)
Cortisol (Saliva) 2.6 ng/mL 1.2-3.0 ng/mL (noon)
Cortisol (Saliva) 2.1 ng/mL 0.6-1.9 ng/mL (evening)
Cortisol (Saliva) 0.7 ng/mL 0.4-1.0 ng/mL (night)

OP
S

Steve

That may stem from low thyroid function,I would focus on correcting thyroid.

And i don't know if its what you looking for but ginseg shown to decrease cortisol levels.and improve cortisol/dhea ratio...

Ginseng enhances the effectiveness of DHEA
Thanks, I'll look into the ginseng.

Now if I could just get my body to respond to the thyroid meds.
I've taken up to 3 grains & felt absolutely nothing except my heart skipping a beat every now & then.
Temp & pulse wouldn't really move...........just the labs.
TSH suppressed almost to zero, Free T3 right where it should be, Free T4 slightly lower than it should be.
I was thinking cortisol was going to be the cause of the meds not having an effect, but my cortisol doesn't seem to be too shabby.

OP
S

Steve

A couple questions if anyone knows:
1) If I have low DHEAS doesn't that mean I should have high cortisol?
2) Can low DHEAS or low testosterone be the reason my thyroid meds don't have an effect on my temp & pulse?

M

marikay

I don't know exactly about DHEA, but I've noticed that my thyroid medication works much better when I take pregnenolone. Since pregnenolone converts to DHEA, I think it's safe to say it will help.

Tim Lundeen

High estrogen reduces thyroid uptake, don't forget to work on estrogen balance versus testosterone+progesterone, and total estrogen levels.

Re pregnenalone, the concern is that it can convert to estrogen, so you have to be careful taking it. It works for a lot of people, but I couldn't take 10mg/day without getting high estrogen relative to test+progest. I suspect I need more Vit E (was taking what I think are adequate Vit A, D, and K2), so am going to try again after I get Vit E levels up.

Peata

Thanks, I'll look into the ginseng.

Now if I could just get my body to respond to the thyroid meds.
I've taken up to 3 grains & felt absolutely nothing except my heart skipping a beat every now & then.
Temp & pulse wouldn't really move...........just the labs.
TSH suppressed almost to zero, Free T3 right where it should be, Free T4 slightly lower than it should be.
I was thinking cortisol was going to be the cause of the meds not having an effect, but my cortisol doesn't seem to be too shabby.
Have you tried ginseng yet?

OP
S

Steve

Only a small amount, at least I think it's a small amount.
Asian Ginseng extract (root) (Panax ginseng) 75 mg

Agent207

I use to apply topical magnesium oil at the sauna, I think it helps with optimum dhea levels.

Amber

Magnesium, lower cortisol levels, lower insulin levels (better insulin sensivity) help with DHEA :)

Edit: Exercise helps a lot too !

Pointless

I've tried a lot of different thyroid products, and like you, nothing had any effect. Now I take 1/4 grain NDT with 75 mcg of Cynomel twice a day. 50 mcg Cynomel does nothing. My morning temps are up to 97.8 and evening temps in the upper 98's Farhenheit. Thyroid is great and is the best way to optimize your steroid production without the side effects of exogenous supplementation. Maybe try increasing your T3:T4 ratio by a LOT

This goes against what Dr. Peat says, somewhat, but thyroid supplementation is highly individual.

docall18

I've been hypo for a while, on 2 grains of NDT for the past 5 months. Temp & pulse are still not optimal.
Been feeling a little better the past few days though.

On my last 2 labs my DHEAS has been quite low. My doctor thinks I should probably start a DHEA supplement. But I'm tired of supplements & pills.

Is there anything else I can try, or is there a way to figure out "why" my DHEAS is so low?
I have plenty of cholesterol (244), 45 years old. Cortisol came back pretty decent except for a high evening reading.

12-10-16
DHEAS (Blood) 130.2 (34.5-568.9 UG/DL)

2-26-17
DHEAS
(Saliva) 5.7 ng/mL 2-23 ng/mL (Age Dependent)
Cortisol (Saliva) 6.8 ng/mL 3.7-9.5 ng/mL (morning)
Cortisol (Saliva) 2.6 ng/mL 1.2-3.0 ng/mL (noon)
Cortisol (Saliva) 2.1 ng/mL 0.6-1.9 ng/mL (evening)
Cortisol (Saliva) 0.7 ng/mL 0.4-1.0 ng/mL (night)

Coffee/caffeine can fix issues with poor effects from thyroid, and low Dhea

Probably your liver is sluggish from being hypo, the caffeine will clear this up. The liver produces cholesterol, so if it is inefficient you can have low Dhea, preg & prog. This will leave unopposed cortisol causing hypothyroidism.

Low circulating levels of dehydroepiandrosterone in histologically advanced nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
Low circulating levels of dehydroepiandrosterone in histologically advanced nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

BlueEyeWolf

Forum Supporter
Magnesium, lower cortisol levels, lower insulin levels (better insulin sensivity) help with DHEA :)

Edit: Exercise helps a lot too !
Exercise is great for all over health and keeping young mentally and physically. Sometimes I feel we look for easier ways to get healthy and excerise is a great start.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals