How Much PUFA ?

Bogdar

Well, hi everyone, I made an account especially for this question.

We all know that PUFAs especially omega 3 ALA/EPA/DHA have been overestimated, and after reading a few articles by Ray Peat, I can now understand why they can be dangerous.

But we still need some to be healthy, right ? I saw on multiple studies that it was needed for our brain not to shrink with age.

Then, how much PUFAs is okay to eat in our diet ? How much is TOO much ? Is there any PUFA that have specific benefits and therefor be consumed more than others, like EPA/DHA over ALA ?

Thanks !

jitsmonkey

we need zero additional pufa
pufa is ubiquitous
Its impossible not to get at least some
and if you're alive in this century you've stored plenty as well
the range most commonly quoted is a max of 3-5g per day

OP
Bogdar

Bogdar

I eat a 0 grain diet, kinda like a meat-based keto. I know I have enough of these PUFAs in the animal fat I eat daily, like raw grass-fed butter/beef fat.

But anyway, my question is more to advice others or to have an idea about how much we overestimated omega 3.
So when you say 3-5g a day, I suppose you're talking about total PUFAs, omega 3 and omega 3 total. So only about 1.5-2.5g of omega 3 daily ?

jitsmonkey

I'm avoiding PUFA period
It is of no consequence to me if its 3,6,9 whatever.

The advice is complete avoidance
maximum incidental PUFA 3-5g total

OP
Bogdar

Bogdar

Okay thanks for the answer. Do these numbers come from a specific Ray Peat article ? Or where do they come from ?
omegas 9 are not actually PUFAs, since they are mono-insaturated. Sure they're not essential but no need to fear them as much as PUFAs since they are way more stable.

jitsmonkey

you are correct but you wont find 9s in isolation so its irrelevant.
there is enough info on this forum regarding PUFA consumption to choke 10,000 cows
3-5 as I said is the most commonly quoted number on here
its been so long I have lost track of a reference from Ray for it.
Ray's advice would be "avoidance"

Avoid is a pretty clear position to take. "how much is ok?" the answer is as little as humanly possible is ok. As I said its ubiquitous and unavoidable

OP
Bogdar

Bogdar

Okay thanks again. Of course if anyone has a link for the amounth of PUFAs except personnal experience, it would be nice.

I see a lot of fear against on the forum. It is sort of justified since how much they have been mediatized, but still I see a lot of people consuming like organic milk, fish, but SKIMMED and fleeing salmon.
Don't you think that naturally occuring PUFAs, with the bulk of vitamine E/other nutrients that come together are harmless in "normal" quantity, i.e from the whole food and not supplements ?
I mean, as far as I know, there are so much beneficial vitamins and nutrients in fat. It would be more detrimental than beneficial to cut out like milk fat just to avoid PUFAs.

cellboy

Zero pufa should be your goal. None is needed. We can synthesize our own pufas. Ray said based on a study that the cancer promoting effects of pufas started at 4 grams per day. The more unsaturated, the worse(omega9>omega6>omega3). Mufas are safe but not healthy. Those studies are all scam. Pufas are being held back by the body because using them is dangerous. Those guys with shrunken and damaged brains have already burned their pufa stores that‘s why they‘ve got the damage in the first place. The other ones probably have less stress or didn‘t deprive themselves of sugar.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals