My Sister Was Diagnosed With Pre-stage Uterine Cancer

TreasureVibe

Hi there. My sister has been diagnosed with a pre-stage of uterine cancer. In the uterus cells the doctors found ''restless'' cells which can be cancerous. According to this Life Extension article: Endometrial Cancer Natural Interventions | Life Extension Omega 3 fatty acids are good for the prevention of uterine cancer. I quote:

Some studies have examined the link between omega-3 fatty acid consumption and endometrial cancer risk. In one such study on 556 women with endometrial cancer and 533 healthy controls, greater consumption of the omega-3’s eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which are abundant in fatty, cold-water fish, was associated with significantly lower risk of endometrial cancer. Specifically, women whose EPA consumption fell within the top one-fourth of distribution had a 43% lower risk of endometrial cancer compared to women whose consumption was within the lowest one-fourth. Similarly, those consuming the most DHA had a 36% lower risk compared to those consuming the least. In addition, having a higher dietary ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids was also associated with reduced risk. Finally, those women who consumed fish oil supplements had a 37% lower risk of endometrial cancer (Arem 2012). Another study involving over 3500 women found that women whose consumption of fatty fish (which are rich in omega-3 fatty acids) fell into the highest quarter of distribution had a 40% lower risk of endometrial cancer compared to women whose consumption ranged within the lowest quarter of distribution (Terry, Wolk 2002).

Omega-3 fatty acids like EPA and DHA may prevent cancer development through multiple mechanisms. These may include changes in the activity of gene expression and estrogen metabolism, as well as improved insulin sensitivity and reduced inflammation (Larsson 2004; Arem 2012).

Since Ray Peat thinks PUFAs are very bad and research says PUFAs are associated with cancer growth, see Current evidence linking polyunsaturated Fatty acids with cancer risk and progression. - PubMed - NCBI taking omega 3 fatty acids which are PUFA is bad in her case, am I correct? And what do you advice for her illness?

Also, she used iron supplements for a long period. She is 20 years old currently. We have told her to stop these. She did not check for any iron deficiency so it is uncertain she actually needed these. In regards to vitamin E, we decided it would be wise to get her Thorne Research vitamin E because it contains no PUFA. We still have to order these. Vitamin E because of her long term use of iron supplements, which destroy vitamin E, according to Ray Peat. What is your opinion on a good vitamin E supplement? Also, we want to give her Healthy Origins vitamin D3 5000 IU for the time being, which contains glycerin. Is this glycerin PUFA, and is it bad for you? I also forgot to mention, she has been a vegetarian for years now.

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you.

Last edited:

noordinary

Considering she is 20 yo, Is she on any kind of birth control?

lampofred

Peat usually recommends daily high dose aspirin with vitamin K for cancer (especially for estrogen/reproductive related cancer). I would guess the reason that Omega 3 fatty acids are "good" for uterine cancer is that they block prostaglandin production, but just taking aspirin will do the same thing without the long-term dangers of taking fish oil.

But maybe ask Dr. Peat himself for major issues like these. I'm sure we all mean well on here but I would be nervous to take advice from a forum for something as major as cancer.

EDIT: being vegetarian may increase the possibility of getting estrogen-related cancer bc high quality animal protein is essential to detoxify estrogen

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Peat usually recommends daily high dose aspirin with vitamin K for cancer (especially for estrogen/reproductive related cancer). I would guess the reason that Omega 3 fatty acids are "good" for uterine cancer is that they block prostaglandin production, but just taking aspirin will do the same thing without the long-term dangers of taking fish oil.

But maybe ask Dr. Peat himself for major issues like these. I'm sure we all mean well on here but I would be nervous to take advice from a forum for something as major as cancer.

EDIT: being vegetarian may increase the possibility of getting estrogen-related cancer bc high quality animal protein is essential to detoxify estrogen
Yes, thank you for your advice. I would like to contact Dr. Peat about it too. Is it possible that a Ray Peat forum member sends me a PM with his e-mail address so I could contact him about my sister? reply to EDIT: Wow, I did not know about the high quality animal protein being essential to detoxify estrogen. Do you have a source for this? I will definitely note this down! I cannot find a quick source with a google search, I did find a couple of sources which claim the opposite in estrogen related cancer, to avoid animal protein. Is it something Ray Peat mentioned? Also, would natural salicylic acid work just as good in cancer treatment as its synthetic variant acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin)?

Considering she is 20 yo, Is she on any kind of birth control?
No not anymore, but she had been using a drospirenon & ethinylestradiol combination pill called Yasmin for years, which she has quit a couple of months ago, which she replaced with an intrauterine device called ''Mirena'' which is a spiral which secretes levonorgestrel, a hormonal medication, a progestogen I believe. She also has been vegetarian for years and still is to this day, she does eat fish though.

Last edited:

Constatine

Vitamin c + niacinamide, mushrooms, green tea (or other varieties), thiamine, emodin and other similar substances, plenty of healthy fruits and berries like blueberries, increased consumption of fat soluble vitamins, herbs (ginseng, astragalus, meadowsweet etc), improved lifestyle patterns, and even androgens (not recommended in this case) can help with cancer. If she is vegetarian she definitely has protein deficiencies, amino acids like glycine enable the liver to detoxify the body.

Last edited:

lampofred

Yes, thank you for your advice. I would like to contact Dr. Peat about it too. Is it possible that a Ray Peat forum member sends me a PM with his e-mail address so I could contact him about my sister? reply to EDIT: Wow, I did not know about the high quality animal protein being essential to detoxify estrogen. Do you have a source for this? I will definitely note this down! I cannot find a quick source with a google search, I did find a couple of sources which claim the opposite in estrogen related cancer, to avoid animal protein. Is it something Ray Peat mentioned? Also, would natural salicylic acid work just as good in cancer treatment as its synthetic variant acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin)?

Dr. Peat mentions that protein insufficiency causes estrogen retention and hypothyroidism in numerous places, but here are the first three quotes I could find.

"People under stress, or who have a thyroid deficiency, or who don't eat enough protein, typically have elevated estrogen levels." from Natural Estrogens

"Many kinds of liver impairment decrease its ability to excrete estrogen, and estrogen contributes to a variety of liver diseases. The work of the Biskinds in the 1940s showed that a dietary protein deficiency prevented the liver from detoxifying estrogen. Hypothyroidism prevents the liver from attaching glucuronic acid to estrogen, and so increases the body’s retention of estrogen, which in turn impairs the thyroid gland’s ability to secrete thyroid hormone. Hypothyroidism often results from nutritional protein deficiency." from Tissue-bound estrogen in aging

"A very common cause of an estrogen excess is a dietary protein deficiency--the liver simply cannot detoxify estrogen when it is under-nourished. With a diet high in protein (e.g., at least 70-100 grams per day, including eggs) and vitamin A (not carotene), I have found that the dose of progesterone can be reduced each month." from Progesterone Summaries - Progesterone Deceptions - Progesterone Supplementation - Dosage of Progesterone

And he mentions in other places that bean/lentil/soy protein is basically worthless and that the only good non-animal protein sources are green leaves and potatoes...

Also, my guess as to why you found that animal protein should be avoided for estrogen-related cancer is that most conventional meat today is pumped full of hormones--especially estrogen--but I haven't heard anywhere that high-quality meat from grass-fed/pasture-raised/healthy animals should be avoided. Peat actually avoids eating too many eggs in the United States because of excessive PUFA and hormones in conventional livestock, but he says that milk is still pretty safe as of now as a source of animal protein, which will work with the fact that your sister is vegetarian (or is she vegan??). He says that even though people say milk is high in estrogen, the even higher progesterone content outweighs any estrogen the milk may contain.

And about aspirin, I would guess that salicylic acid would work because it seems like salicylic acid plays a major part behind aspirin's effects (after reading Aspirin, brain, and cancer), but I'm hesitant to give you a definite yes or no because Peat himself to my knowledge has never definitely said salicylic acid can substitute for aspirin... I have no medical education at all so I try to stick to just posting what Peat says as opposed to giving my own opinion bc I don't want to accidentally give wrong advice

HDD

No not anymore, but she had been using a drospirenon & ethinylestradiol combination pill called Yasmin for years, which she has quit a couple of months ago, which she replaced with an intrauterine device called ''Mirena'' which is a spiral which secretes levonorgestrel, a hormonal medication, a progestogen I believe. She also has been vegetarian for years and still is to this day, she does eat fish though.

Regarding IUD and progestogen:

“...I saw that someone had two different groups just almost at the same time had observed that an intrauterine device for contraception often caused systemic health problems and I found that that the problems were related to a falling progesterone and animal studies showed that if you put a slight wound into the uterus, signals travel up to the ovary and blocked the production. of progesterone because the animal system recognizes that it isn’t wise to get pregnant when you have a wound in the uterus. So that was recognized as the effect of the IUD or one of the effects, but at the same time another group found that men who had vasectomy often suffered very serious effects instantly and such. And they found that the men who suffered with health effects from a vasectomy had very low progesterone and that replacing their progesterone levels up to normal cured their symptoms, and very often just one dose was all that was needed to start the ovaries in woman or the gonads in the men to begin producing the normal amount.”

“The things that are called progestins or progestogens, the term implies that these are acting to preserve pregnancy the way progesterone is, but in fact the synthetic so-called progestins are used in birth control pills because exactly what they don’t do is support pregnancy, so they’ve got the naming system very confused in which testosterone functions potentially as a progestin and so-called progestins are really anti-progestational chemicals, but doctors have been very confused by that terminology.”

Politics & Science: Progesterone Part 1

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Thanks for your information everyone. I will contact Dr. Peat aswell soon, I can post his replies if it interests you.
Vitamin c + niacinamide, mushrooms, green tea (or other varieties), thiamine, emodin and other similar substances, plenty of healthy fruits and berries like blueberries, increased consumption of fat soluble vitamins, herbs (ginseng, astragalus, meadowsweet etc), improved lifestyle patterns, and even androgens (not recommended in this case) can help with cancer. If she is vegetarian she definitely has protein deficiencies, amino acids like glycine enable the liver to detoxify the body.
I have read in a study that tumors actually feed on glycine, so would this be a smart thing to do?

Constatine

Thanks for your information everyone. I will contact Dr. Peat aswell soon, I can post his replies if it interests you.

I have read in a study that tumors actually feed on glycine, so would this be a smart thing to do?
Yeah I've seen that study too. There are also studies showing glycine has anti cancer properties though. But I'm not recommending she supplement glycine, Just trying to emphasize the importance of adequate protein.

Constatine

Did you try to take supplement of glycine with success if I may ask @Constatine ?
I've taken glycine in the past though its been a while so I don't remember the exact effects it had on me. I do recall it bettering my sleep and it perhaps uplifted my mood a bit. I think that taking too much glycine made me a little hyperactive.

LucyL

I posted this on another thread:

Serine, but Not Glycine, Supports One-Carbon Metabolism and Proliferation of Cancer Cells - ScienceDirect
"Cancer cells selectively consumed exogenous serine, which was converted to intracellular glycine and one-carbon units for buildingnucleotides. Restriction of exogenous glycine or depletion of the glycine cleavage system did not impede proliferation. In the absence of serine, uptake of exogenous glycine was unable to support nucleotidesynthesis. Indeed, higher concentrations of glycine inhibited proliferation. "

Also these are worth considering:
Glycine Inhibits Formation Of Blood Vessels In (colon) Tumors
Glycine As Prevention And Treatment For Cancer

Constatine

I posted this on another thread:

Serine, but Not Glycine, Supports One-Carbon Metabolism and Proliferation of Cancer Cells - ScienceDirect
"Cancer cells selectively consumed exogenous serine, which was converted to intracellular glycine and one-carbon units for buildingnucleotides. Restriction of exogenous glycine or depletion of the glycine cleavage system did not impede proliferation. In the absence of serine, uptake of exogenous glycine was unable to support nucleotidesynthesis. Indeed, higher concentrations of glycine inhibited proliferation. "

Also these are worth considering:
Glycine Inhibits Formation Of Blood Vessels In (colon) Tumors
Glycine As Prevention And Treatment For Cancer
Very cool, thanks.

mouse

How was your sister diagnosed? Was it related to an investigation of endometriosis via laparoscopy? Was she having some other issue that prompted the investigation?