High fever not going away

Mittir

Antibiotic can increase endotoxin by killing gram-negative bacteria.
Extra endotoxin can burden the liver and lower thyroid function.
It is a temporary condition. I guess you already know that RP recommends
vitamin K intake with antibiotic therapy.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the update and I'm so glad it is working (and that she didn't need to go to the ER)! My daughter was on doxycycline 100mg twice daily for Lyme disease earlier this year. It's the standard dose recommended by the CDC. I will defer to others on the low temp issue although I do think as she gets well should normalize. In my personal experience I think it takes a little time for the metabolism to return to normal after being sick with a fever and not able to eat well. Your daughter is lucky to have someone to take such good care of her.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Yes, thanks Mittir, I'm supplementing her with K already.

Perhaps she might agree to some more AC to help her get rid of endotoxin, which would help her feel warmer.

Blossom, I'm sorry to hear your daughter got lyme. Is she fully recovered? I hope so. You must have gone through the wringer same as me. How soon was she treated after symptoms? Is her immunity down, like my daughter's? Sorry for so many questions, and thank you.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
sunmountain said:
Yes, thanks Mittir, I'm supplementing her with K already.

Perhaps she might agree to some more AC to help her get rid of endotoxin, which would help her feel warmer.

Blossom, I'm sorry to hear your daughter got lyme. Is she fully recovered? I hope so. You must have gone through the wringer same as me. How soon was she treated after symptoms? Is her immunity down, like my daughter's? Sorry for so many questions, and thank you.
If I remember correctly it was nearly a month after the tick incident that she finally went to the doctor. She grew up in a home with 2 medical workers so she is very hesitant to frequent the medical establishment in any form.:shock: (I probably shouldn't have talked about work around her.) Personally think she should have gotten treatment sooner but she is an adult and living on her own so I really have little say in the matter. The doxycycline helped her a lot but she has some residual fatigue, aches and pains. For her I think it has been a wake up call to start eating better and to get adequate rest. She was pushing herself too hard on inadequate nutrition. I think she would be doing better now if she had not been so depleted prior to the tick bite. I've heard of much worse cases than hers so I'm just grateful she is still able be engaged in life even if she fatigues a bit more easily. She is also more receptive to my advice now and including some Peaty foods in her diet so that's a plus. Every situation is different though and your daughter's quick response to the doxycycline sounds very promising.

LucyL

My dh had intermittent fever for 2 weeks, wound up in the hospital for tests and all they could find was antibodies to one of the tick borne viruses. The headache as a result of eye movement is usually sinus related, and swollen neck glands also might suggest upper respiratory involvement. But doxy can be good at kicking sinus infections. Does she have any pain when you tap on her cheekbones?

My dh's long lasting fever left him very potassium deficient. You might want to use some very potassium rich foods for a little while.

haidut

sunmountain said:
My daughter is home with fever since Monday. It goes up to 104, comes down to 101 with Ibuprofen/tylenol. As of yesterday, it's coming down to 99, and the high is 103.

Doc has ruled out flu, mono, strep, and is testing for Lyme and other viruses.

Yesterday, she finished a course of Bactrim/Septra for a UTI.

I'm a bit concerned about her stomach lining from all the meds and wondering what supplement I might give her for it. No symptoms as such, just precautionary. And anything else I should be watching out for, that the medical establishment doesn't tell me.

Thank you!!

Arguably the most protective substance for stomach lining is gelatin, both physically and chemically. Physically, it forms a protective coating to guard the intestines from irritants. Chemically, it calms the inflammation in cells lining up the gut wall.
If she can chase some gelatin down with orange juice directly, that would be great. Otherwise, you can make her a jell-o or gummy bears. Most teenagers like both, so it should not be a problem convincing her.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Thanks All, I will add some potassium foods and gelatin.

Today a friend contacted me to tell me about www.lymemd.org. I went to the website, and it says you can have lyme even if the test is negative. My friend mentioned that they recommend a 30-day course of doxy instead of the usual 10-day. After reading it, I am concerned.

We are seeing the ped again on Friday for follow-up. I think she mentioned wanting to run some more blood work. Meantime, though my daughter says she's fine, I see she is tired after school (she has not yet gone back to sports - volleyball), and she complained this evening that she is falling asleep by 9:30pm! I'm glad she's sleeping early but also concerned as she usually sleeps between midnight and 2am.

I suppose she's still recovering from the high temps. I would like your opinions on the website above, and any more experiences with lyme or other tick-borne where someone presumably recovers, and then relapses months or years later.

Thanks so much.

Mittir

I do not remember which interview was it, but in an interview someone asked
RP about Lyme disease. He mentioned that people he knew who were diagnosed with
Lyme were simply hypothyroid.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Thanks, Mittir! That is very encouraging. Is there anyone on the forum who has/had lyme residual symptoms and was able to resolve it via thyroid?

Blossom, is your daughter taking thyroid for fatigue and aches?

From getting her thyroid tested last year, I know (now since Peat) that she is hypo. I'll have to see if she will agree to thyroid.

Is it ok to start treating her for thyroid -- assuming she will agree -- while she is on antibiotic?

Also, what do you all think of a 30-day course of doxy?

thank you!!!!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I haven't been able to convince her to try thyroid yet (unfortunately) although she most likely needs it. She was previously eating a thyroid suppressive diet so she has at least started to change that. I'm positive she will see some improvements just by cutting out large quantities of raw cruciferous vegetables, nuts and seeds etc. and eating more fruit and dairy.

Mittir

sunmountain said:
Is it ok to start treating her for thyroid -- assuming she will agree -- while she is on antibiotic?

Yo can give her chicken soup with neck in it. That will give her good amount of
thyroid hormone. RP has mentioned people used to get half a grain of armour
equivalent from foods like stewed chicken and fish. One problem i have found is
i feel cold if is skip my neck or fish head soup for a day. People probably become
dependent on it if they are moderately hypothyroid.

I always had problem with antibiotics. I can only take 5 days course without any
major problem. Anything beyond that gives me whole lot of other health issues.
Does she have definite diagnosis of Lyme? Is doctor recommending 30 day course
or is it from website?

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

30-day course is from website. She tested negative for lyme -- they did antibody test and western blot. The doc is again running tests for lyme, Ehrlichiosis, and other things. Today she is more perky because her friend is visiting for the weekend from out of town.

I'm thinking of ordering thiroyd or nutipak or something like that for her. I don't have time to make chicken soup everyday.

Mittir

RP talked about Lyme disease in more detail in this month's KMUD interview.
You can listen to this interview. He said that once properly diagnosed
a right combination of antibiotics can fix it in 2-3 weeks. So,a month long
antibiotic therapy is not a big deal for Lyme. He thinks people who have Lyme
symptoms after antibiotic therapy probably have other health issues
that is not Lyme related. He also said similar thing in that other interview,
which i could not recall.

proteome

Forum Supporter
He said that once properly diagnosed
a right combination of antibiotics can fix it in 2-3 weeks.

This is no longer the best protocol for treating Lyme disease and similar spirochetal bacteria, as they can remain in organs for much longer than the blood stream, sometimes resulting in a long term, low-grade immune response directed at the affected organs. When biopsied, many patients with negative blood tests had positive organ biopsies in the organs which were being attacked by "autoimmune" diseases.

According to one dataset, 80% of autoimmune diseases, once subjected to newer diagnostic protocols, turned out to have a burgdorferi or similar spirochetal bacterial etiology that was positively confirmed by testing and permanently cured by a months-long cycled treatment program with regular follow-up testing.

Because Allopathic medicine and its financial incentives have moved away from diagnostics toward symptom management, this approach is unpopular.

If you'd like to know further, reply to me, or check out the following book from a library:

I read it, and I think it dovetails with much of Ray Peat's work and comparative, skeptical approach to therapies.

proteome

Forum Supporter
RP has mentioned people used to get half a grain of armour
equivalent from foods like stewed chicken and fish. One problem i have found is
i feel cold if is skip my neck or fish head soup for a day. People probably become
dependent on it if they are moderately hypothyroid.
Where do you get chicken neck?

Chicken Necks seem thin on the ground in my part of the world.

Also, what other dietary sources of thyroid do you know of, and what else would you do if you found you had a fever with a headache?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom