High Cholesterol And LDL. Help Needed Please

ddjd

Im a 30 year old male, overweight by about 20kg, slight gynecomastia, terrible sleep, but otherwise in fairly ok health.

My biggest issue is my cholesterol is 255mg/dl, with LDL at 213; HDL is 50. My TSH is low at 1.1. free t3 is 3.5, free t4 is 1.6. My CRP is very low at 0.04.

any thoughts? I was told taking t3 is a terrible idea if your TSH is low.

Last edited:
J

James IV

Cholesterol numbers mean absolutely nothing. But, I'd focus on losing the excess weight if you're worried about it.

artlange

reverse T3 counters T3. if you have a high reverse T3, then you have reduced your T3 activity. Many places do not test reverse T3. a better thyroid test is HR and basal temp when waking in the morning. if temp is below 97.8 and HR is below 85, then you have a low metabolic rate. Thyroid blood tests are relatively useless. see ray peat's articles on thyroid. here are link to some of them.
Thyroid: Therapies, Confusion, and Fraud
Preventing and treating cancer with progesterone.
Thyroid, insomnia, and the insanities: Commonalities in disease

OP
ddjd

ddjd

reverse T3 counters T3. if you have a high reverse T3, then you have reduced your T3 activity. Many places do not test reverse T3. a better thyroid test is HR and basal temp when waking in the morning. if temp is below 97.8 and HR is below 85, then you have a low metabolic rate. Thyroid blood tests are relatively useless. see ray peat's articles on thyroid. here are link to some of them.
Thyroid: Therapies, Confusion, and Fraud
Preventing and treating cancer with progesterone.
Thyroid, insomnia, and the insanities: Commonalities in disease

I heard that high RT3 causes massive weight gain from taking T3. Is this true? How would I stop this happening, take t4?

artlange

I heard that high RT3 causes massive weight gain from taking T3. Is this true? How would I stop this happening, take t4?

The rT3 test is not often given. For instance, Kaiser HMO does not even offer the test to their members.

this is what was in one of the references previously given to you.

The brain concentrates T3 from the serum, and may have a concentration 6 times higher than the serum (Goumaz, et al., 1987), and it can achieve a higher concentration of T3 than T4. It takes up and concentrates T3, while tending to expel T4. Reverse T3 (rT3) doesn't have much ability to enter the brain, but increased T4 can cause it to be produced in the brain. These observations suggest to me that the blood's T3:T4 ratio would be very "brain favorable" if it approached more closely to the ratio formed in the thyroid gland, and secreted into the blood. Although most synthetic combination thyroid products now use a ratio of four T4 to one T3, many people feel that their memory and thinking are clearer when they take a ratio of about three to one. More active metabolism probably keeps the blood ratio of T3 to T4 relatively high, with the liver consuming T4 at about the same rate that T3 is used.

so it is unlikely that rT3 will be caused by taking T3, and taking T3 will NOT cause massive weight gain.

artlange

there is nothing "wrong" with high cholesterol. Higher cholesterol is an adaptive response of your body so it can produce the sex and other steroids. If you wish to convert some of the "higher" level of cholesterol into useful hormones, then get your liver into good metabolic health so it can produce pregnenolone. This "map" of the steroid tree shows how cholesterol is first converted into pregnenolone and then the rest of the steroid hormones. Ray Peat said that the oldest residents of old people homes had cholesterol above 200. Very low cholesterol results in a shorter, unhealthy life. Living long and healthy requires cholesterol in sufficient quantity. Ignore your doctor who wishes to foist a statin on you to the detriment of your well being. If you wish to start improvimg your liver function, first stop all PUFA's which block thyroid function. When you liver is houriched properly, your cholesterol will be reduced.

http://projectwellbeing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/wb-tree2.pdf

Attachments

• wb-tree2.pdf
    948.1 KB · Views: 19
OP
ddjd

ddjd

there is nothing "wrong" with high cholesterol. Higher cholesterol is an adaptive response of your body so it can produce the sex and other steroids. If you wish to convert some of the "higher" level of cholesterol into useful hormones, then get your liver into good metabolic health so it can produce pregnenolone. This "map" of the steroid tree shows how cholesterol is first converted into pregnenolone and then the rest of the steroid hormones. Ray Peat said that the oldest residents of old people homes had cholesterol above 200. Very low cholesterol results in a shorter, unhealthy life. Living long and healthy requires cholesterol in sufficient quantity. Ignore your doctor who wishes to foist a statin on you to the detriment of your well being. If you wish to start improvimg your liver function, first stop all PUFA's which block thyroid function. When you liver is houriched properly, your cholesterol will be reduced.

http://projectwellbeing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/wb-tree2.pdf

but what about high LDL, you don't see any risk factors there?
i hope youre right about cholesterol! i just need to work out how much thyroid to be taking

artlange

but what about high LDL, you don't see any risk factors there?

do your own research! That is why I gave you the links which might be relevant. trust no one! few on this forum have a medical license. If you act without doing your own research, you will suffer from your ignorance and the ignorance of those who gave you bad advice
i just need to work out how much thyroid to be taking
the thyroid papers tell how to test your metabolic level. try them (hint: your metabolic level has something to do with body temperature and heart rate.)

this may be helpful
http://projectwellbeing.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/ThyroidHormoneTesting21.pdf

OP
ddjd

ddjd

do your own research! That is why I gave you the links which might be relevant. trust no one! few on this forum have a medical license. If you act without doing your own research, you will suffer from your ignorance and the ignorance of those who gave you bad advice

the thyroid papers tell how to test your metabolic level. try them (hint: your metabolic level has something to do with body temperature and heart rate.)

this may be helpful
http://projectwellbeing.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/ThyroidHormoneTesting21.pdf

thanks for all your help, the graphic is interesting. i dont understand why everyone says get a free t3 or t4 test when peat and many other practicioners suggest total is the only useful marker

artlange

the body temperature and heart rate test is the most accurate measurement of body metabolism. all the thyroid blood tests have problems.

Rickyman

the body temperature and heart rate test is the most accurate measurement of body metabolism. all the thyroid blood tests have problems.
I have to agree w you. Search this forum and you will see ppl with lab numbers all over the place and some feel ok others feel like complete ***t on "normal lab range " numbers.

TeaRex14

It's important to understand what's causing the "high cholesterol." Several things can cause the cholesterol to be above what the medical establishment deems as normal, but not all of these causes are bad things. The most common negative causes are low thyroid, bacterial/viral infections, and gut dysbiosis. So addressing your thyroid, immune system, and gut health are all excellent places to start. Dessicated thyroid and carrot salad would likely correct this issue. However if you have sufficient nutrition and your body is just naturally producing that much cholesterol then personally I would leave it alone. Sure, you'll probably get a stern lecture from your doctor every checkup, but don't let him bully you into statin medications. That cholesterol in a healthy body is being converted into all those pro-metabolic hormones like pregenenlone, testosterone, progesterone, etc. So high cholesterol is most certainly not always a bad thing. The fact your CRP levels are low clearly shows you're not at risk for heart disease most likely, TSH is another inflammatory marker that you have on the low side. So I wouldn't sweat it as of now, just eat good foods.

mamakitty

Im a 30 year old male, overweight by about 20kg, slight gynecomastia, terrible sleep, but otherwise in fairly ok health.

My biggest issue is my cholesterol is 255mg/dl, with LDL at 213; HDL is 50. My TSH is low at 1.1. free t3 is 3.5, free t4 is 1.6. My CRP is very low at 0.04.

any thoughts? I was told taking t3 is a terrible idea if your TSH is low.
Hey, how did your cholesterol quest go? I see it has been a few years since you started this thread. Did you lower your cholesterol somehow?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals