Help with lab results?

kofimama

I am hoping someone might be able to help me decipher these lab results. I see a few obvious problems relating to my cholesterol and Vitamin D, but I don't know at all what my thyroid looks like. FYI, I did take low dose DHEA for supposed adrenal fatigue for a few months that did help me come out of my coma, but I'm still having lots of other symptoms: tired but anxious, dry skin, terrible digestion even with long term supplemental digestive support, zero libido, weight gain around my mid-section, cold hands and feet, peeing through the night, sweating heavily even when cold, low temps, low pulse, tinnitus, etc. I've been mostly WAPF for some time and now changing to more of a Peat way of eating. So far I feel good, but no real reduction in other symptoms.
Thanks for your input!

Cholesterol, total 246
Triglycerides 166
HDL 72
LDL 141
TSH 1.080
Thyroxine (T4) 8.0
T3 Uptake 35
Free Thyroxine Index 2.8
Triiodothyronine (T3) 86
Triiodothyronine, Free, Serum 2.7
Reverse T2, Serum 25.3
T3, Free (Direct) 1.53
Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab 5
Vitamin D 31.2

Mittir

Your TSH is within normal range suggested by RP. are you taking any thyroid med?
Your total T3 is below normal. That is the main issue here.
Did you mean to write Reverse T3 or T2?
Your T4 is within normal range too. Liver is the place where
T4 to T3 conversion happens. PUFA release, Cortisol, Endotoxin,
Estrogen, Serotonin are main inhibitors here.
If you follow basic RP style diet things should get better.
Raw carrot salad daily or daily cooked bamboo shoot will take
care of endotoxin, serotonin and estrogen.
80 grams of protein and weekly liver will keep your liver healthy.
Selenium from seafood is needed for T4 to T3 conversion.
Finally most important part is eating small meal of sugar and protein
through out the day to keep your blood sugar steady and replete liver
glycogen so liver will make more T3.
Avoiding starch and soluble fiber will lower estrogen and edotoxin.

OP
kofimama

kofimama

Thank you so much, Mittir! This is so helpful. Does this mean that I wouldn't benefit from from progesterone or thyroid? Also, what do you think about my cholesterol in relationship to these other values? Thanks again!

J

j.

Labs by themselves are a lousy tool for diagnosing hypothyroidism.

OP
kofimama

kofimama

So, j., do I just go by symptoms and use my labs loosely for reference and a sort of "baseline"? Based on symptoms I need thyroid and progesterone, but I'm nervous to start playing with these substances without more information I guess. I'm really, really confused. What I do know and understand is the diet part, so I'll start there. If you want to share more thoughts regarding supplementing with the above, please help enlighten me!

J

j.

I haven't supplemented with anything but pregnenolone, but I'm not sure if it works with women as well is it does with men. Regarding thyroid, I need to do a lot of reading too, what I do recall is to try to not exceed 4 mcg of T3 per hour, because that's about what the body produces, and exceeding that could initiate anti-thyroid adaptations. And that one should take both T3 and T4. Taking either one by itself can cause problems.

In your situation I would read more about progesterone and pregnenolone.

Mittir

kofimama said:
Thank you so much, Mittir! This is so helpful. Does this mean that I wouldn't benefit from from progesterone or thyroid? Also, what do you think about my cholesterol in relationship to these other values? Thanks again!

Ray Peat mentioned that he has seen in several female got their hormones ( estrogen, progesterone, cortisol etc)
normalized only after 3 days of raw carrot salads.
I think If diet can fix all my problems there is no need to try supplement.
I do not know your age, but he mentioned a study where they found older people with cholesterol 270 and above had
higher longevity. He also mentioned that one should not use thyroid supplement with cholesterol level below 200.
It seems like 250 cholesterol is not a problem. He thinks cholesterol is a protective substance.
If you have high estrogen, progesterone can help to bring balance. He also said in some cases progesterone
used for short period of time fixes problems and they do not need to continue using progesterone.
The decision to use hormone supplement should be done with consultation with doctor.

J

j.

Mittir said:
The decision to use hormone supplement should be done with consultation with doctor.

I disagree with this. I took pregnenolone without consultation and I felt better than ever. A doctor wouldn't have ever advised me that. The same is true for thyroid for a lot of people. Mittir's statement might be true in an ideal world which has little resemblance to the real one.

OP
kofimama

kofimama

j., did you feel better right away or did it take a couple weeks to see improvement. I took DHEA for a short period of time and there was an initial time of feeling worse which made it confusing. If I know it going in though I might not waver and just go for it. My gut is telling my progesterone will help me and of course keeping my diet free of PUFA, etc.

jaguar43

kofimama said:
I am hoping someone might be able to help me decipher these lab results. I see a few obvious problems relating to my cholesterol and Vitamin D, but I don't know at all what my thyroid looks like. FYI, I did take low dose DHEA for supposed adrenal fatigue for a few months that did help me come out of my coma, but I'm still having lots of other symptoms: tired but anxious, dry skin, terrible digestion even with long term supplemental digestive support, zero libido, weight gain around my mid-section, cold hands and feet, peeing through the night, sweating heavily even when cold, low temps, low pulse, tinnitus, etc. I've been mostly WAPF for some time and now changing to more of a Peat way of eating. So far I feel good, but no real reduction in other symptoms.
Thanks for your input!

Cholesterol, total 246
Triglycerides 166
HDL 72
LDL 141
TSH 1.080
Thyroxine (T4) 8.0
T3 Uptake 35
Free Thyroxine Index 2.8
Triiodothyronine (T3) 86
Triiodothyronine, Free, Serum 2.7
Reverse T2, Serum 25.3
T3, Free (Direct) 1.53
Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab 5
Vitamin D 31.2

You were in a coma? What happened. My total t3 was around the yours and your cholestrol is high meaning your not converting it to other hormones. Many people will say to take alittle of thyroid, but sometimes you need a big dose. Taking 4 mcrg every hour is for people who are generally healthy. Ray has stressed the safety of thyroid hormone.

J

j.

kofimama said:
j., did you feel better right away or did it take a couple weeks to see improvement. I took DHEA for a short period of time and there was an initial time of feeling worse which made it confusing. If I know it going in though I might not waver and just go for it. My gut is telling my progesterone will help me and of course keeping my diet free of PUFA, etc.

I felt incredible, like a new person, within 3 days. But I'm younger, male, and so it might not apply to everyone. Pregnenolone I think is much less likely to get converted to the wrong thing than DHEA. In the youth hormones article Ray Peat mentions that excess DHEA is found in brains with alzheimer or something like that, so it's safer to supplement with a precursor.

HDD

Hi Kofimama,
I am thinking, from your name, that you are drinking coffee? Are you increasing sugar and salt? Epsom salt baths. Sunlight/red light? Vitamin e? Niacinamide? Getting plenty of calcium from dairy and/egg shell powder? Coconut oil? Gelatin? bone broth?

I started with all of the above plus pregnenolone and an OTC thyroid glandular. My thinking was if I could buy it at the local health food store, it must be ok. I am not sure if the thyroid I used made any difference, since I went on everything at once. I no longer take the thyroid and have not noticed much difference in metabolism.

I added progesterone after a few months and I use Pregnenolone occasionally.

OP
kofimama

kofimama

Oh my, so sorry jag2954! I was not speaking literally regarding the "coma", but I did hit a wall of complete exhaustion after experiencing 3 years of intense stress with a chronically sick child and no help in sight. Thank you for your suggestion regarding taking high doses of thyroid. What I'm most confused about is what exactly I should take in this situation, T3, T4, or both, glandular? I'm ready to try.

Haagendazendiane, Kofi is my son's name, with a long o, but yes, I do drink coffee with cream and lots of honey! I am doing some of the things you listed, but will try to incorporate them all. I haven't yet tried aspirin regularly, but have now added the raw carrot salad to my routine. Thank you for your suggestions, much appreciated!

j., I appreciate your thoughts, too! I think you're right about the importance of taking the precursor to DHEA rather than DHEA. I thought that all along. FYI, I am 46 and from outward appearances I look like the same fit, young-looking for my age athlete/mother. I doubt any of my friends know that I'm struggling so much and I can fake it pretty well. I sort of hibernate. I feel like if things don't change soon it will be very evident outwardly. The only real indicator that something is up is that I've gained weight around my mid-section that I can't get rid of. I think the gelatin keeps my skin looking young. The way I feel is a different story though. So glad that you've gotten better...

jaguar43

kofimama said:
Oh my, so sorry jag2954! I was not speaking literally regarding the "coma", but I did hit a wall of complete exhaustion after experiencing 3 years of intense stress with a chronically sick child and no help in sight. Thank you for your suggestion regarding taking high doses of thyroid. What I'm most confused about is what exactly I should take in this situation, T3, T4, or both, glandular? I'm ready to try.

Haagendazendiane, Kofi is my son's name, with a long o, but yes, I do drink coffee with cream and lots of honey! I am doing some of the things you listed, but will try to incorporate them all. I haven't yet tried aspirin regularly, but have now added the raw carrot salad to my routine. Thank you for your suggestions, much appreciated!

j., I appreciate your thoughts, too! I think you're right about the importance of taking the precursor to DHEA rather than DHEA. I thought that all along. FYI, I am 46 and from outward appearances I look like the same fit, young-looking for my age athlete/mother. I doubt any of my friends know that I'm struggling so much and I can fake it pretty well. I sort of hibernate. I feel like if things don't change soon it will be very evident outwardly. The only real indicator that something is up is that I've gained weight around my mid-section that I can't get rid of. I think the gelatin keeps my skin looking young. The way I feel is a different story though. So glad that you've gotten better...

Ray recommends cynomel and cynoplus. but some feel good on desicated.

4peatssake

kofimama said:
Any ideas where to buy cynomel and cynoplus??
Hi kofimama,

I take cynomel and cynoplus, after Ray Peat recommended it to me. It is what he takes as well. I'll PM you tomorrow with some info.

This is the best place to order:

http://www.farmaciadelnino.com/

They have a express ship option now which I just used. Last time it was a good 3 weeks.
I have found their customer service to be excellent and the prices are much better than MyMexicanDrugStore.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals