Found a new ingredient in biscuits called Interesterified fat. Is it healthy?

AsuraAcademy

While I was searching for a snack with low PUFA, I found this biscuits called Osmania Biscuits from Karachi bakery. But on the ingredient section, I found something called interesterified fat which seemingly changes PUFA to saturated fat. One of the advantages it has over hydrogenation is that it doesn't produce trans fat and give improvement with the melting point. Is this fat comparable to naturally occurring saturated fat? Is this a healthy option?

OP
A

AsuraAcademy

While I was searching for a snack with low PUFA, I found this biscuits called Osmania Biscuits from Karachi bakery. But on the ingredient section, I found something called interesterified fat which seemingly changes PUFA to saturated fat. One of the advantages it has over hydrogenation is that it doesn't produce trans fat and give improvement with the melting point. Is this fat comparable to naturally occurring saturated fat? Is this a healthy option?

Attachments

• Interesterified Fat in Ingredients..jpg
    Interesterified Fat in Ingredients..jpg
    126 KB · Views: 41
  • Low in PUFA.jpg
    Low in PUFA.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 41

GTW

I avoid processed foods systematically so as not to be faced with such questions.
Most recent analyses confirm that IE fats are not benign and shouldn't receive the benefit of any doubt.

sunny

I go on the basic principle that any ingredient in processed food is not there to make it healthier. It is for cheaper and longer shelf life.
Similar to the ingredient you will find in most chocolate these days:
-PGPR, the full name of polyglycerol polyricinoleate, is an ingredient commonly used as a water-in-oil type (W/O) emulsifier in chocolate and chocolate-type confectionary to reduce the viscosity in production. It is a type of polyglycerol esters (PGE) with the European food additive number E476.

LucH

I found something called interesterified fat which seemingly changes PUFA to saturated fat.
Interestreification = Isomerization. If the isomerization is complete, the unsaturated fatty acid will be functional, as if it were a saturated fatty acid. It is therefore a molecular rearrangement of fatty acids on glycerol. Unfortunately, the process is often stopped before isomerization / complete saturation. The brain will then be thrilling / misconcducted. The body does not have the capacity to manage more than 2% trans fatty acids. Trans = unusable residue.

GTW

Interestreification = Isomerization. If the isomerization is complete, the unsaturated fatty acid will be functional, as if it were a saturated fatty acid. It is therefore a molecular rearrangement of fatty acids on glycerol. Unfortunately, the process is often stopped before isomerization / complete saturation. The brain will then be thrilling / misconcducted. The body does not have the capacity to manage more than 2% trans fatty acids. Trans = unusable residue.
Interesterification in this case, this castor oil fatty acid added to the triglyceride ester, is not increased saturation of the fat or a form of hydrogenation. The result however is greater viscosity at room temperature for organoleptic texture, mouth feel characteristics and purposes similar to that of saturated fats.
"Out of the frying pan into the fire"

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals