Cyproheptadine Vs Ketotifen Vs Clemastine

managing

I have tried both cyproheptadine and ketotifen for managing (overheating, excessive sweating, high pulse, anxiety, etc) and found them to be surprisingly different, given their chemical similarity.

I've taken 500mcg of Cyproheptadine twice a day. The Ketotifen was less than 100mcg also twice/day. Harder to determine exact dose because I was using very small portions of 1mg tablets. I found that 500mcg of Ketotifen knocked me out thoroughly and left me with a "hungover feeling" the next day.

I would summarize the differences (for me) thusly:

-I found K to be much more anxiolytic than C

-I found C to cause more constipation

-I found K to be much more sedative than C, even at the smaller doses

-I found both K and C to decrease my appetite unexpectedly, although K was a stronger affect than C

-I experienced low blood sugar/aggressive episodes on C around its 8 hr half life during daytime

-I note a slight improvement in hearing with both C and K, with K perhaps being greater than C (i have an unexplained moderate to severe hearing loss)

The last two were rather surprising.

This study: Effect of Ketotifen and Cyproheptadine on Appetite and Weight Changes in Mice noted that varying doses of each resulted in significant weight gain OR loss. Hard to rationalize from murine doses, but perhaps the lower end dosages are analgous to the doses I've used. They even used a combination of both K and C (and found weight loss at the only combined dose they tried).

Secondarily, the only notable difference I can find between the known actions of the two is that K is a phosphodiesterase inhibitor (and thus, I would presume, enhances cAMP production). I wonder if this explains anything about why I react differently to the two. Particularly in regard to anxiolytic and hearing effects.

Which makes me wonder if the acid sphingomyelinase inhibition of something like Clemastine could be even better?

OP
managing

managing

Ketotifen is much less anti-cholinergic. As well it seems to be much less anti-serotonin.
I've seen it described as anti-cholinergic, but nothing comparing it to Cyproheptadine in that regard.

Would you expect the anti-cholinergic affect to track with the anxiolytic effects? I was surprised that K made me carefree whereas I seem to have enhanced anxiety right on that 8 hour window where cyproheptadine is starting to trail off. Almost think it should be taken 3x/day but then I would want to dilute. Maybe a 300mcg dose 3xd would be ideal. OTOH, K is a half-life of 12 hours . . .

Any experience with clemastine? Appears to be OTC and common so I may just walk into the pharmacy and pick some up on the way home.

I've seen it described as anti-cholinergic, but nothing comparing it to Cyproheptadine in that regard.

Would you expect the anti-cholinergic affect to track with the anxiolytic effects? I was surprised that K made me carefree whereas I seem to have enhanced anxiety right on that 8 hour window where cyproheptadine is starting to trail off. Almost think it should be taken 3x/day but then I would want to dilute. Maybe a 300mcg dose 3xd would be ideal. OTOH, K is a half-life of 12 hours . . .

Any experience with clemastine? Appears to be OTC and common so I may just walk into the pharmacy and pick some up on the way home.

Ketotifen's anti-cholinergic effect is nearly nothing. Way way small.

Anti-cholinergics make you stupid, irritable, and dry. Not good for anxiety at all, only reason some people associate it with that is because it nearly always comes with anti-histamine effects and ion channel blocking.

Ketotifen is probably better.

I haven't researched it in a while but I'm pretty sure clemastine is anti-cholinergic, though I could be wrong. Regardless, although it is OTC, it's impossible to find in any stores, and rare online, or at least this was true 1-2 years ago. I wouldn't bother.

OP
managing

managing

interesting. I was interested in the anticholinergic effects because I have issues with sweating and overheating that seem to be enhanced by vagal nerve stimulation. But its undeniable that I liked the ketotifen effects better. Much harder to find though. What I have is lasting a long time, but is from several years ago.

If anybody can suggest a source, post it here or PM me.

BTW, I just found reference to Clemastine's anti-cholinergic effect in the package insert that called it "substantial".

OP
managing

managing

I should add that neither C nor K lowers my high pulse (84-90), but both give me some relief from overheating.

TucsonJJ

Ketotifen's anti-cholinergic effect is nearly nothing. Way way small.

Anti-cholinergics make you stupid, irritable, and dry. Not good for anxiety at all, only reason some people associate it with that is because it nearly always comes with anti-histamine effects and ion channel blocking.

Ketotifen is probably better.

I haven't researched it in a while but I'm pretty sure clemastine is anti-cholinergic, though I could be wrong. Regardless, although it is OTC, it's impossible to find in any stores, and rare online, or at least this was true 1-2 years ago. I wouldn't bother.
I've been using Chlorpheniramine for a while, very relaxing and helps me sleep... has not made me stupid, irritable, or dry. Is the anticholinergics effects pretty low on it? Does it promote serotonin?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals