Blood Test Results - Please Comment On My Condition

OP
yerrag

yerrag

@yerrag, I had issues (low level pains) with my kidneys for a while. When I noticed that I did not have them any longer, my best guess as to what might have helped was calcium: I had started to add eggshell powder to phosphate rich meals to balance the phosphate.

Peat mentioned that calcium can help with hypertension.
Need Help with Stubborn Hypertension

I came across this on Treating lead poisoning - an alternative therapist's view :
"...calcium has also been found effective in preventing the accumulation of lead in body tissues. This mechanism has been investigated by several university research teams. K.M. Six and R.A. Goyer found that reducing dietary calcium in rats greatly enhanced the body burden of lead, evidenced by increased levels in blood, bone and soft tissues.

C. Snowdon found that in calcium-deficient rats given water containing lead, lead replaced the lacking calcium in bones and teeth. Studies on rats (by L.G. Lederer and F.C. Bing) and on pigs (by F.Hsu and colleagues at Cornell University) indicate that adequate dietary calcium prevents re-accumulation of lead in body tissues by reducing absorption of ingested lead from the intestinal tract. Such evidence supports the view that calcium protects both water and body tissues from lead contamination."

Another + for calcium!

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I got the results of my blood tests around the end of October, but got so busy with my mom's hospitalization. The results of the catecholamine tests don't look particularly troublesome, if being below range is the basis:

Noradrenaline (pmol/L) - 2166 Range <3000
Adrenaline (pmol/L) - <300 <900
Dopamine (pmol/L) - <500 <1500

But I have to review literature PakPik linked again, and see if these values would mean anything I need to worry about.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Referring to Post #90 by PakPik, the values above indicate that I may have mercury/and or lead-induced toxicity.

I'm going to start a 3-month detox tomorrow. And perhaps, I can use these tests, in the absence of available blood and urine tests for lead and mercury toxicity in this country (Philippines), I could go back to the catecholamine test 3 months later. Or my blood pressure could improve, and I can see that as the detox working.

PakPik

Hi Yerrag,
I'm sorry about your mom's situation, I hope she gets the help she needs.

It's interesting that your lab considers the values normal whereas in the paper there are values they call high.

Some time ago I came across studies on garlic being therapeutic for lead toxicity, in case you enjoy garlic. I'm sharing a couple of them.

Comparison of Therapeutic Effects of Garlic and d-Penicillamine in Patients with Chronic Occupational Lead Poisoning

Previous studies on animals have revealed that garlic (Allium sativum) is effective in reducing blood and tissue lead concentrations. The aim of this study was to investigate therapeutic effects of garlic and compare it with d-penicillamine in patients with chronic lead poisoning. After coordination and obtaining informed consent, clinical examinations and blood lead concentration (BLC) of 117 workers at a car battery industry were investigated. BLC was determined by heated graphite atomization technique of an atomic absorption spectrometer. The workers were randomly assigned into two groups of garlic (1200 μg allicin, three times daily) and d-penicillamine (250 mg, three times daily) and treated for 4 weeks. BLC was determined again 10days post-treatment. Clinical signs and symptoms of lead poisoning were also investigated and compared with the initial findings. Clinical improvement was significant in a number of clinical manifestations including irritability (p = 0.031), headache (p = 0.028), decreased deep tendon reflex (p=0.019) and mean systolic blood pressure (0.021) after treatment with garlic, but not d-penicillamine. BLCs were reduced significantly (p=0.002 and p=0.025) from 426.32±185.128 to 347.34±121.056 μg/L and from 417.47±192.54 to 315.76±140.00μg/L in the garlic and d-penicillamine groups, respectively, with no significant difference (p=0.892) between the two groups. The frequency of side effects was significantly (p=0.023) higher in d-penicillamine than in the garlic group. Thus, garlic seems safer clinically and as effective as d-penicillamine. Therefore, garlic can be recommended for the treatment of mild-to-moderate lead poisoning.

Role of garlic extract and silymarin compared to dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA) in treatment of lead induced nephropathy in adult male albino rats

Lead poisoning has been known as an important disorder that affects individuals through acute, sub-acute and chronic exposure in environmental and occupational settings. This study was conducted to compare the curative role of garlic combined with silymarin versus dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA) in decreasing lead induced nephrotoxicity in adult male albino rats. The period of lead intoxication extended for 3 months followed by either 1 month treatment with garlic and silymarin or 5 days treatment with DMSA. Lead poisoning caused non-significant difference in kidney function tests (BUN and serum creatinine) while, it caused significant elevation in kidney lead level, significant decrease in renal antioxidant enzyme glutathione peroxidase and significant elevation in kidney malondialdehyde. Histologically, lead induced disorganization and shrinkage of glomeruli with sloughing and vaculation of epithelium, widening of Bowman's space and inflammatory infiltration in renal medulla. Treatment by garlic extract combined with silymarin as well as treatment with DMSA resulted in significant improvement in the affected parameters. Also, both methods of treatment resulted in improvement of the histopathological changes. It can be concluded that garlic extract combined to silymarin is comparable to DMSA in amelioration of lead induced nephrotoxicity.

Therapeutic competence of dried garlic powder (Allium sativum) on biochemical parameters in lead (Pb) exposed broiler chickens

The study was conducted to assess the therapeutic competence of garlic (Allium sativum) in lead (Pb) exposed chickens. The experimental birds (n=350) were grouped into T0 (as control), T1, T2, T3 and T4. The birds of group T1 was provided with lead acetate at 100 mg/kg body weight. Group T2 had lead acetate at 100 mg/kg b.wt. + 1% garlic supplement, whereas group T3 was fed with lead acetate at 100 mg/kg b.wt. + 2% garlic supplement, and group T4 had lead acetate at 100 mg/kg b.wt. + 4% garlic supplement. The mean values (mg/dL) of uric acid, blood urea nitrogen, creatinine, cholesterol, triglycerides, low density lipoprotein, high density lipoprotein, and blood glucose in the birds of group T1 were significantly increased (p<0.01) on day 42 of post- treatment. Elevation of these parameters was suggestive for the pathological involvement of different organs like liver, kidney, muscles. Statistical analysis of variance indicated that lead acetate at 100 mg/kg b.wt. + 2% garlic supplement (T3) resulted significant (p<0.01) ameliorative effect on the biochemical parameters as compared to the group T2 and T4. In conclusion, potency of garlic in reversion of the values of the biochemical properties in Pb exposed chickens was close to the normal levels of the values.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I'm sorry about your mom's situation, I hope she gets the help she needs.
Thanks PakPik. She's back home now and almost fully recovered. I say almost only because she couldn't walk after being in the hospital bed for so long. And I thank Ray Peat and the forum for teaching me well enough to apply what I learned on my mom, and to experience first-hand how simple healing gets when you have a good foundation of facts.

It's interesting that your lab considers the values normal whereas in the paper there are values they call high.
I spoke too soon. It seems that it's only the noradrenaline value that seemed to put me in danger zone. This, and my earlier tests of urine, tell me I have work to do - on myself.

Thanks for sharing with me on what you found out about garlic. I can use it definitely!

PakPik

She's back home now and almost fully recovered. I say almost only because she couldn't walk after being in the hospital bed for so long. And I thank Ray Peat and the forum for teaching me well enough to apply what I learned on my mom, and to experience first-hand how simple healing gets when you have a good foundation of facts.

That's great news about your mother! Also good to hear you've been able to device simple and safe remedies or interventions that have lead to real relief. I've also been amazed at how much relief and even healing I've obtained through the most gentle and simple interventions. Really grateful for that :)

Thanks for sharing with me on what you found out about garlic. I can use it definitely!
I LOVE the Lebanese Garlic Sauce -you may google it-. I would probably be at risk of garlic overdose if I cooked that daily!

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I LOVE the Lebanese Garlic Sauce -you may google it-. I would probably be at risk of garlic overdose if I cooked that daily!
Don't get me started on Lebanese food. :( I miss my days in LA going to a Lebanese resto. I had to call in first so they can prepare me kibbeh - all raw!

The Lebanese Garlic Sauce looks easy to make. Glad I will be enjoying this supplement!

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I seem to be getting better lately, after nearing the end of my 3 months of oral chelation to remove lead from my system. But I'm not so sure if my improvement has more to do with the chelation or with the adoption of Peat's principles.

When I pee now, I see less froth forming and that could mean that I'm urinating less protein, specifically albumin. My blood tests earlier showed my albumin to be on the low side of range.

My blood pressure has steadily come down. It is still very high, but it has come down already from 216/135 to 180/118. I would still need to continue with another 3 months of chelation, but this is positive.

The pain on my left knee when I climb stairs was something I had given up on. But I realized today, when speaking to my cousin who's starting to complain of the same symptoms, that I haven't been having such pain. I know I have high uric acid levels which I think is due to my kidney having lead toxicity. Perhaps the loss of this skin could mean that uric acid levels are going down as well.

My sleep has also improved such that I don't wake up as often as before. I've even started to have dreams, and this only happens with good REM sleep, right?

My eyesight seems to be improving as well. I'm nearsighted but I don't wear glasses even when driving. But it's only because my myopia isn't so bad. But at my age, 50s, I was already starting to need larger type to read. But lately, I noticed being able to read small type on my cellphone very clearly.

Lastly, libido has improved as well. I think this has a lot to do with the lowering of my blood pressure. Perhaps there is more blood volume as well, and that would help.

Peaty stuff I've done that could have improved my well-being: taking calcium and magnesium, not being afraid to take sugar, taking more salt, avoiding bread, eating raw carrot salad, avoiding fibrous food, drinking coffee regularly, taking virgin coconut oil regularly, sleeping more, and having a more positive outlook, being more thankful and less whiny - all these add up.

I'll be taking another round of blood tests to see if I could get a more objective gauge of my improvements.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Thank you very much for your comments. Since I didn't include the reference values at first, you may not have caught a few things. Sorry for omitting them, but here are my blood test results again , with the reference values included:

Endocrine (no Reverse T3, unavailable):
  • T3 -1.89 nmol/l {Normal Value 1.23- 3.07}
  • T4 -112.60 nmol/l {66.00 - 181.0}
  • Free T3 - 5.70 pmol/L {3.10 - 6.80}
  • Free T4 - 17.53 pmol/L {12.0 - 22.0}
  • TSH - 0.847 uIU/ml {0.27 - 4.20}
Chemistry:
  • Sodium - 142.30 (mEq/L & mmol/L) {Reference Value: 137 - 150}
  • Potassium - 4.47 (mEq/L & mmol/L) {3.6 - 5.00}
  • Calcium - 9.40 mg/dL; 2.35 mmol/L {8.4 - 10.6; 2.10 - 2.65}
  • Ionized Calcium - 1.14 mmol/L {1.12 - 1.32}
  • Inorganic Phosphorus - 3.11 mg/dL; 1.00 mmol/L {2.5 - 4.6; 0.81 - 1.48}
  • Magnesium - 2.03 mg/dL; 0.83 mmol/L {1.6 - 2.6; 0.65 - 1.06}
  • Carbon Dioxide - 24.00 mmol/L {22-31}
  • True Glucose (fasting) - 106.50 mg/dL; 5.91 mmol/L {70 - 115; 3.88 - 6.38}
  • BUN - 15.54 mg/dl; 5.55 mmol/L {4.76 - 23.25; 1.70 - 8.30}
  • Creatinine (male) - 0.93 mg/dL; 82.40 umol/L {0.90 - 1.50; 80.0 - 133}
  • Uric Acid (male) - 7.49 mg/dL; 443.0 umol/L {less than 7.10; less than 420.0}
  • Total Cholesterol - 210.42 mg/dL; 5.45 mmol/L {less than 200; less than 5.18}
  • Triglycerides - 47.79 mg/dL; 0.54 mmol/L {less than 200; less than 2.26}
  • Lipoprotein Profile
    • VLDL Cholesterol - 9.56 mg/dL; 0.25 mmol/L {0 - 40; 0.0 - 1.40}
    • LDL Cholesterol - 144.88 mg/dL; 3.75 mmol/L {60 - 158; 1.56 - 4.1}
    • HDL Cholesterol - 55.98 mg/dL; 1.45 mmol/L {35 - 65; 0.9 - 1.7}
    • HDL Ratio - 3.76
Liver :
  • SGPT (ALT) - 22.7 U/L {Reference Value: 0 - 49}
  • SGOT (AST) - 21.2 U/L {0 - 46}
  • Alkaline Phosphatase - 46.0 U/L {38 - 111}
  • Amylase - 137.9 U/L {28 - 180}
  • Total Protein - 6.78 g/dL; 67.8 g/L {6.4 - 8.3; 64 - 83}
  • Albumin - 3.74 g/dL; 37.40 g/L {3.5 - 5.0; 35 - 50}
  • Globulin - 3.04 g/dL; 30.40 g/L {2.9 - 3.3; 29 - 33}
  • A/G Ratio - 1.23 {1.2 - 1.5}
  • Total Bilirubin - 0.44 mg/dL; 7.50 umol/L {less than 1.4; less than 24}
  • Indirect Bilirubin - 0.30 mg/dL; 5.10 umol/L {less than 1.1; less than 19.0}
  • Direct Bilirubin - 0.14 mg/dL; 2.40 umol/L {less than 0.30; less than 5.0}
Hormones:
  • Prolactin - 7.82 ng/ml {Normal Value: 3.46 - 19.40}
  • Cortisol - 18.5 ug/dl {A.M. 6.2 - 19.4; P.M. 2.3 m- 11.9}
  • Progesterone - 0.512 ng/ml {0.2 - 1.4}
  • Estrogen - 27 pg/mL {11 - 44}
Hematology:
  • Hemoglobin - 15.0 gms%; 150 g/L {Reference Value: 14 - 18; 140 - 180}
  • Hematocrit - 47.0 vol%; 0.47 {40 - 54; 0.40 - 0.54}
  • White Blood Cell - 4.5 /L {5-10 x 10^3; 5 - 10 x10^9}
  • Red Blood Cell - 5.18/L {4.5 - 6.0 x 10^12}
  • Morphology (differential count):
    • Neutrophils - 0.74; 74 {0.50 - 0.66; 50 - 60%}
    • Lymphocytes - 0.23; 23 {0.20 - 0.40; 20 - 40 %}
    • Monocytes - 0.02; 2 { 0.02 - 0.06; 2 - 6 %}
    • Eosinophils - 0.01; 1 {0.01 - 0.03; 1 - 3 %}
    • Basophils - blank {0.00- 0.02; 0 - 2 %}
    • Stabs - blank {0.00 - 0.02; 0 - 2 %}
  • Platelet Count - 194 {150 - 400 x 10^9; 150 - 400 x 10^3/cum}
My body temperature has ranged from 33.9 (waking up) to a high of 35.6 the past 3 days. My blood pressure, during the same period, has ranged from a low of 165/100 to a high of 203/123. Pulse has ranged from a low of 58 to a high of 83 during the same period.

Aside from rT3, I lack some tests on the following - adrenalin, ammonia, free fatty acids, T-Wave on ECG, and basal metabolic rate.
I'm happy to report on improvements in a blood test I took today"

Uric Acid 6.46 mg/dL (Range: 3.42 - 7.04) - down from 7.49
Albumin 4.00 g/dL (Range: 3.50 -5.00) - up from 3.74
CO2 29.67 mmol/L (Range 22.00-30.00) - up from 24.00

Since albumin is still on the low side of range, I still have work to do. My 3-month oral chelation therapy is having a good effect on me. Will need to continue with another 3-month therapy of the same.

These results corroborate the improvement in my blood pressure. That my blood pressure remains high means I need to continue on with my oral chelation therapy, and continue with a nutrition lifestyle consistent with Ray Peat's.

GelatinGoblin

What is the UV ratio?

In Maximizing Your Vitamin D from Safe Sun Exposure , Dr. Mercola talks about UV-B being beneficial because it is needed to produce Vitamin D, while UV-A is more dangerous. When the sun is above 50 degrees from the horizon, it is safe to be exposed to sun as this is when UV-B rays are maximized, and UV-A rays are lessened. It is the UV-A rays that cause skin cancer. I have an app available in Android called Sun Surveyor, which works well in letting me know when it is safe to be exposed to the sun. The funny thing is, I'm finding that it is safer to get exposed to the sun in the noontime, than in the morning, as based on the position of the sun from the horizon. Since my location is different from yours, it's best to check based on your actual location and with an app available, it is easy to do so. I don't know about the noontime location of the sun in temperate regions, but the location of the sun would vary by season and the safety of sun exposure by time of day would change correspondingly.

I'm going to eat carrot salad in-between meals then, and I'm glad I have a good source of Vitamin A in liver, although my liver source is goat. I still hope I can get going by Monday with using cronometer.

I need to raise my albumin definitely. I recall my dad being prescribed egg white to raise albumin. I don't know if that is true though, as it camne from a conventional doctor, the same doctors who recommended iron to correct anemia without much qualification.

p.s. Today I drank 1 liter (a cup each time) of milk in between meals, and I feel hungry. Milk alone and milk with cane sugar makes me hungry. I'll try milk with honey (fructose) to see if I feel better.

Old old post but morning sun is needed for proper Dopaminergic Cycling and fine tuning Circadian Rhythm (possibly better blood pressure and temp control?)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals