Blacking out

iLoveSugar

Literally blacked out twice today. Something is going crazy within my system. I'm so tired, fatigued, brain fogged, that when I get up and try to walk, I lose consciousness. I have a doctors appt for Thursday, but they never find anything. I NEEEEED to figure out WTF this is.

On a side note, another doc ordered tests for:
PTH
Prolactin
Full Thyroid Panel
Estradiol
Estrone
Pregnenolone
Histamine
Lactate
Vitamin D
Lipid panel
Whole Blood Serotonin
Free Fatty Acids

Will these show anything helpful?

J

jb116

iLoveSugar said:
post 101849 Literally blacked out twice today. Something is going crazy within my system. I'm so tired, fatigued, brain fogged, that when I get up and try to walk, I lose consciousness. I have a doctors appt for Thursday, but they never find anything. I NEEEEED to figure out WTF this is.

PTH
Prolactin
Full Thyroid Panel
Estradiol
Estrone
Pregnenolone
Histamine
Lactate
Vitamin D
Lipid panel
Whole Blood Serotonin
Free Fatty Acids

I know somebody who used to black out all the time when she would get up to walk and it was the thyroid as the culprit.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
I

iLoveSugar

I have been using Thyroid. I'm just scared to up the dose higher since I have seen nothing from 1 full cynoplus tablet a day.

J

jb116

iLoveSugar said:
post 101851 I have been using Thyroid. I'm just scared to up the dose higher since I have seen nothing from 1 full cynoplus tablet a day.

When "thyroid" is mentioned, it's not enough to just be supplementing. "Thyroid" indicates the entire process as well as other organs involved.
I think your blood tests you posted above can help in that regard.

jyb

Have you tried the "Ray Peat Protein Potato Soup" RPPS? It provides ketones which can be used in emergencies by the brain. I assume you tested your blood glucose throughout the day and when you get these symptoms.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

jb116 said:
post 101857
iLoveSugar said:
post 101851 I have been using Thyroid. I'm just scared to up the dose higher since I have seen nothing from 1 full cynoplus tablet a day.

When "thyroid" is mentioned, it's not enough to just be supplementing. "Thyroid" indicates the entire process as well as other organs involved.
I think your blood tests you posted above can help in that regard.

I agree and have been living a very "PRO-Thyroid" life per se. Eating, light, co2, etc.

jyb said:
post 101863 Have you tried the "Ray Peat Protein Potato Soup" RPPS? It provides ketones which can be used in emergencies by the brain. I assume you tested your blood glucose throughout the day and when you get these symptoms.

I have not tried the soup. No idea how I could even muster the energy or cognitive function to make it. My BG often is low, but even copious amounts of sugar don't help this.

haidut

Forum Supporter
iLoveSugar said:

I thought you said (in another thread) that initially you were taking only 1/4 Cynoplus and when you upped to 1/2 last week your temp got up to 98+ degrees and heart rate stabilized. When did you discover that you don't react to a full Cynoplus tablet?

HDD

Barnes recommends fats be used in managing low blood sugar. Fats slow down digestion. My daughter has blacked out from low blood sugar and hospitalized with no diagnosis from the episodes.Hypoglycemia is a symptom of hypothyroidism. Broda Barnes recommends thyroid therapy. I think you will need to manage it with diet until you can take enough thyroid. I will try to post more specifics from Barnes book.

jyb

jyb said:
I have not tried the soup. No idea how I could even muster the energy or cognitive function to make it. My BG often is low, but even copious amounts of sugar don't help this.

Not being able to make the soup is precisely the situation where it might be useful. Otherwise it has no use for a healthy person. Although powerful, it is just bandaid though. How low does your blood sugar go? Eating more sugar is not necessarily the answer, in fact it can be the source of your low blood sugar. But I trust you already experimented with diets. Ask yourself however why you are blacking out now and not five years ago, what made you worse.

HDD

"The slow emptying of the stomach is a very good friend of the hypoglycemias, and I would recommend it to those who cannot get thyroid therapy. ...In general, each meal should contain a liberal supply of protein and fat but a minimum of carbohydrate." Broda Barnes "Hope for Hypoglycemia"

I think until you are able to tolerate enough thyroid to reduce some of your symptoms, you may need to limit your sugars. Barnes mentions cheese as a good snack since it has protein/fat and no carbs. He says it doesn't apply to cottage cheese since it has very little fat. He also says if weight is normal, bread, potatoes, and other carbs can be used. He does have fruit juice and fruits in his recommended diet but with fats such as cream or butter and with a meal.

"Results from thyroid therapy in hypoglycemia may be expected in about six weeks after the optimum thyroid dosage has been found. The patient would then be able to add foods that previously produced symptoms."

OP
I

iLoveSugar

haidut said:
post 101867
iLoveSugar said:

I thought you said (in another thread) that initially you were taking only 1/4 Cynoplus and when you upped to 1/2 last week your temp got up to 98+ degrees and heart rate stabilized. When did you discover that you don't react to a full Cynoplus tablet?

Sorry, when I say I don't react, I was referring soley to symptom relief. My temps are sporadic, as is pulse. That night in particular, it bumped my temp up and pulse (uncomfortably). I took 1/2 tablet about 7 hours ago today, and it's been one of my worst days ever. My temp and pulse still 7 hours later is 98.5 and 85. It just doesn't seem to do much for me.
HDD said:
post 101869 Barnes recommends fats be used in managing low blood sugar. Fats slow down digestion. My daughter has blacked out from low blood sugar and hospitalized with no diagnosis from the episodes.Hypoglycemia is a symptom of hypothyroidism. Broda Barnes recommends thyroid therapy. I think you will need to manage it with diet until you can take enough thyroid. I will try to post more specifics from Barnes book.

I agree, but the problem is is that my appetite is extremely awful. My stomach is always so full and crampy, that stuffing more and more in there with my slow digestion seems to make me worse.
jyb said:
post 101870
jyb said:

Not being able to make the soup is precisely the situation where it might be useful. Otherwise it has no use for a healthy person. Although powerful, it is just bandaid though. How low does your blood sugar go? Eating more sugar is not necessarily the answer, in fact it can be the source of your low blood sugar. But I trust you already experimented with diets. Ask yourself however why you are blacking out now and not five years ago, what made you worse.

My blood sugar on my little reader at home tends to be around 60-75 most the time.
HDD said:
post 101876 "The slow emptying of the stomach is a very good friend of the hypoglycemias, and I would recommend it to those who cannot get thyroid therapy. ...In general, each meal should contain a liberal supply of protein and fat but a minimum of carbohydrate." Broda Barnes "Hope for Hypoglycemia"

I think until you are able to tolerate enough thyroid to reduce some of your symptoms, you may need to limit your sugars. Barnes mentions cheese as a good snack since it has protein/fat and no carbs. He says it doesn't apply to cottage cheese since it has very little fat. He also says if weight is normal, bread, potatoes, and other carbs can be used. He does have fruit juice and fruits in his recommended diet but with fats such as cream or butter and with a meal.

"Results from thyroid therapy in hypoglycemia may be expected in about six weeks after the optimum thyroid dosage has been found. The patient would then be able to add foods that previously produced symptoms."

Interesting--so limit sucrose and focus primarily on cheese and potatoes? Doesn't potatoes lower BS even more? Or with enough butter, that should offset it?

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Sometimes it runs slightly low, but last I checked it was higher at 135/60. Also, this feeling is with me all day, not just episodes. When I get up to move around, it just aggravates and gets way worse.

HDD

Yes, I think a generous amount of butter would offset. However, you will need to see what gives you problems. Adding coconut oil to foods or even taking it as a supplement might be helpful. It is odd in the book Barnes says ok to potatoes if weight isn't a problem, but then he has a list of foods to avoid and potatoes are on the list because they have higher % of carbs. Maybe eat them with a meal? Having a snack at bedtime would be important and if you wake in the night. Being aware of things that are known to lower blood sugar would be helpful. My daughter would appear drunk after some otc pain medication. Coffee, donuts, and then eggs put her in bed unable to stay awake. Minocycline, cocoa, eggs, whey protein, alcohol and coffee are things that come to mind as offenders. I recall someone drinking oj with the carrot to avoid bs problems. Some of the supplements can lower blood sugar. I was taking a time released supplement (I can't recall what) at bedtime and waking with a migraine. Not having an appetite doesn't help but as metabolism improves so does digestion and appetite.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I've tried simplifying things to such a minimal. Example-- today all I had was some pure rice cereal with a little bit of milk and sugar. Felt like ****. Had small amounts of milk with coffee really late in the day after feeling so bad, still felt awful. My caloric intake was down incredibly low today to give my stomach a break, and it's still very crampy, full, gassy, etc. Back hurts, my body aches all over, foggy mess. What gives?

Lin

iLoveSugar said:
post 101849 Literally blacked out twice today. Something is going crazy within my system. I'm so tired, fatigued, brain fogged, that when I get up and try to walk, I lose consciousness. I have a doctors appt for Thursday, but they never find anything. I NEEEEED to figure out WTF this is.

PTH
Prolactin
Full Thyroid Panel
Estradiol
Estrone
Pregnenolone
Histamine
Lactate
Vitamin D
Lipid panel
Whole Blood Serotonin
Free Fatty Acids

No barium studies?

johns74

Iron saturation alone would be a good test, combined with ferritin even better.

Lin

iLoveSugar said:
post 101907 I have no appointment with a G.I. doctor until January. Pathetic, eh?
Very pathetic! They really need to rule out a mechanical obstruction as a minimal first step. Maybe you could ask the doctor you are going to, to order a lower and upper GI series. Are you in the US?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals