Apigenin & CYP3A4 toxicity?

TranceWax

I have a question surrounding Apigenin & CYP3A4, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience taking Apigenin with other medications. There's not a lot of studies or information online regarding how Apigenin may interact with other drugs, but from what I've found CYP3A4 oxidizes small foreign organic molecules (xenobiotics), such as toxins or drugs, so that they can be removed from the body, and Apigenin may inhibit this process which could result in toxic levels of prescription drugs been enhanced in the blood.

''Out of the 30 flavonoids tested, 7 significantly inhibited CYP3A4, most prominent being acacetin that inhibited 95% of enzyme activity at 1 µM concentration. Apigenin showed reversible inhibition, acacetin, and chrysin showed combined irreversible and reversible inhibition while chrysin dimethylether, isorhamnetin, pinocembrin, and tangeretin showed pure irreversible inhibition. These results alert on possible flavonoid⁻drug interactions on the level of CYP3A4.'' The Inhibitory Effect of Flavonoid Aglycones on the Metabolic Activity of CYP3A4 Enzyme - PubMed

Grapefruit juice is a known CYP3A4 inhibitor so do you guys think it would be wise to avoid any CYP3A4 inhibitors when taking NSAIDs for cancer for example? I'm only querying this as I'm new to the forum and most information around Apogenin says it's safe and it's an anti-cancer substance, maybe I'm misinterpreting something here.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any replies.

LadyRae

I have a question surrounding Apigenin & CYP3A4, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience taking Apigenin with other medications. There's not a lot of studies or information online regarding how Apigenin may interact with other drugs, but from what I've found CYP3A4 oxidizes small foreign organic molecules (xenobiotics), such as toxins or drugs, so that they can be removed from the body, and Apigenin may inhibit this process which could result in toxic levels of prescription drugs been enhanced in the blood.

''Out of the 30 flavonoids tested, 7 significantly inhibited CYP3A4, most prominent being acacetin that inhibited 95% of enzyme activity at 1 µM concentration. Apigenin showed reversible inhibition, acacetin, and chrysin showed combined irreversible and reversible inhibition while chrysin dimethylether, isorhamnetin, pinocembrin, and tangeretin showed pure irreversible inhibition. These results alert on possible flavonoid⁻drug interactions on the level of CYP3A4.'' The Inhibitory Effect of Flavonoid Aglycones on the Metabolic Activity of CYP3A4 Enzyme - PubMed

Grapefruit juice is a known CYP3A4 inhibitor so do you guys think it would be wise to avoid any CYP3A4 inhibitors when taking NSAIDs for cancer for example? I'm only querying this as I'm new to the forum and most information around Apogenin says it's safe and it's an anti-cancer substance, maybe I'm misinterpreting something here.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any replies.
You could read the MelaNon thread. It's an Apigenin/Naringenin product from Idealabs. 3mg each in 8 drops.

I've never experienced any adverse sides, but I don't take any pharma supps....

OP
T

TranceWax

You could read the MelaNon thread. It's an Apigenin/Naringenin product from Idealabs. 3mg each in 8 drops.

I've never experienced any adverse sides, but I don't take any pharma supps....
Hello, thanks for your reply. Apigenin taken on it's own is safe but I think it has the potential to inhibit CYP3A4 which can cause problems with prescription drugs like NSAIDs and enhance the drugs to toxic levels in your blood, but I can't find any information to clarify this.

LadyRae

Hello, thanks for your reply. Apigenin taken on it's own is safe but I think it has the potential to inhibit CYP3A4 which can cause problems with prescription drugs like NSAIDs and enhance the drugs to toxic levels in your blood, but I can't find any information to clarify this.
Right, I have also "heard" that grapefruit can inhibit Rx med absorption....... I'd be interested in more info as well....

Lots of articles if you Google it...

OP
T

TranceWax

Yeah, Grapefruit juice and others like black pepper and green tea also seem to be able to inhibit CYP3A4 but I can't find anywhere specific that discusses Apigenin, theoretically it looks like it could be possible but many articles say it's safe and there's no known side effects?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals