Any fans of quince paste here in the forum?

tastyfood

I don't see many comments about this delicious sweet food in the forum. It's a staple in my culture, typically eaten with cheese.

I'm struggling to find its nutritional benefits outside of its sweetness and good taste. Wonder if it's loaded with flavones/flavonones the same as marmalade? Anyone has a comment to share about that?

1668310730442.png

Thank you!

Zucker

I love quince in any form. If only the preparation was not so time consuming. We cut the paste in forms, roll them in sugar and that becomes a special Christmas candy. I used to make Quittenschnaps which would become even better if we managed to age it longer:) Quince is traditionally used here to calm and help the stomach. Cannot help with the flavones.
I must try the combination with cheese.

In Brazil is called "Romeu and Juliet". But yes!

The guava (Pisidium guajava) is the raw material of guava jam and the pulp of guava, used by the industry between the harvest the fruit. The heat process can cause substantial changes in some foods. The color is a factor of acceptance of the food, examined by consumers even before the flavor and texture and carotenoids are responsible for the coloration presented by the majority of fruit. The aims of this study were to evaluate the composition of guava cv. Paluma, in relation to the content of ascorbic acid, total carotenoids, total phenolic and total flavonoids; verify the effect of the industrial processing to obtaining the guava jam on the levels of these compounds; measure the antioxidant capacity of the fruit and its by-products, and correlate the color system CIELAB parameters with the content of total carotenoids. The content of ascorbic acid was determined by the 2,6-dichiorophenol-indophenol titration; the content of total carotenoids was conducted through spectrophotometric reading of the ether extract a 470 nm; the content of total phenolic was obtained through the colorimetric method of Folin-Ciocalteu; the content of total flavonoids was measured based on the reaction between NaNO2 5%, AlCl3 10% and NaOH 1M; the antioxidant capacity was based on reducing the DPPH radical (1,1-diphenyl-2- picrilhidrazila); and the extent of the color was performed by the system CIELAB. The results showed that the guava cv. Paluma had significant levels of ascorbic acid (58.9mg/100g), total carotenoids (7.88mg lycopene/100g), total phenolic (1167.6mg galic acid/100g) and total flavonoids (150.1mg rutin/100g), presenting antioxidant capacity of 214.7mg VCEAC/100g (vitamin C equivalent antioxidant capacity). Compared with guava in natura, there was an increase of the antioxidant compounds in the pulp of guava at 15.5, 59, 8 and 54.5%, and, reduction of these compounds in guava jam, at 42, 13, 31 and...

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

The red thing is quince paste, known as membrillo in Spanish. It has a lot of sugar hence the sweetness.

HighT

Oh, ***t! I just look at the pictures... but guava paste is much better than quince paste and pretty similar (the fruit too).
Well ok, I havent eaten guava but it looks not like quince.
The red thing is quince paste, known as membrillo in Spanish. It has a lot of sugar hence the sweetness.
Alright, first I tought is some red beet sliced. Here we make jelly and has red colour too despite the fruit is yellow. We also eat it raw but one person cant eat the whole fruit, its so heavy. Has amazing smell and is good to put pieces in the wine.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals