A List Of Metformin Alternatives

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Hey everyone,

Let's begin to make a list of the BEST alternatives to Metformin for Insulin Resistance.

Obviously we need to eliminate PUFAs, enhance thyroid function, reduce cortisol, improve sex-hormone status, and be sure we're getting sufficient B-Vitamins and other nutrients like magnesium, but let's look at some other novel ways to enhance insulin sensitivity via:

-Drugs
-Herbs
-Nutraceuticals
-Research chemicals
-Other compounds

Examples are:
-Bitter Melon Extract
-Cinammon
-Salsalate
-Pyrucet ( @haidut )
-Gymnema Sylvestre
-Gynostemma Pentaphyllum
-Berberine
-High dose Taurine

Anyone want to chip in and add some other solid options?

Kingpinguin

Hey everyone,

Let's begin to make a list of the BEST alternatives to Metformin for Insulin Resistance.

Obviously we need to eliminate PUFAs, enhance thyroid function, reduce cortisol, improve sex-hormone status, and be sure we're getting sufficient B-Vitamins and other nutrients like magnesium, but let's look at some other novel ways to enhance insulin sensitivity via:

-Drugs
-Herbs
-Nutraceuticals
-Research chemicals
-Other compounds

Examples are:
-Bitter Melon Extract
-Cinammon
-Salsalate
-Pyrucet ( @haidut )
-Gymnema Sylvestre
-Gynostemma Pentaphyllum
-Berberine

-High dose Taurine

Anyone want to chip in and add some other solid options?

Biotin and chromium

Ceylon cinnamon, not common one.
Absolutely stay away from chromium supps.

yerrag

I recently gained 20 lbs due to poor blood sugar control, but I know what caused it. And without knowing what caused it, I wouldn't know how to deal with the developing type 2 diabetes condition. But knowing why, I know all these things won't work for me.

I suggest that you try to find the cause first, as knowing that would help you find a supplement or neutraceutical or drug that has the mechanism of action appropriate to addressing the cause, and not only that, will cure you.

It's easier said than done, I know.

And I think I know why many people, including myself, cannot heal. Until recently, I've been looking at answers that are silver bullet solutions. Take this, and the problem will be solved or the sickness cured. It's more complicated than that. You have to develop a plan of attack. It's not the way the US tries to conquer Iraq - by bombing the hell out of them. Now, that is a silver bullet. The idiots who run US policy should know who the enemy really is, what their weakness is, size up the situation, and have a plan of overcoming their weaknesses as well as getting allies from the population. Have a strategic plan, implement, monitor, adjust tactics along the way, etc.

All you're doing is enriching the supplement, neutraceutical, and drug suppliers, but you're not better off, just as the US is enriching Raythion, Northrop Grumman, Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, while things keep getting worse.

Keep on with forming that list. They'll have good use, in the right hands.

I'll just add that you have to check if there's an infectious element to it, and you'll need to know what that infection is, and how the bacteria operates. The bacteria could have colonized and have biofilm protection, the bacteria could have establishing quorum, and it could be in a symbiotic relationship with another bacteria. And together they are undermining your defenses in ways they have developed over eons. You can be smarter than them if you know their modus operandi. If you're using silver bullets, hands-down you lose!

Last edited:
Chromium Is The Only Thing That Helps, Alternative?

20200113_064950.jpg
20200113_064933.jpg
20200113_065039.jpg
20200113_065009.jpg

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Biotin and chromium

Fan of biotin, but chromium made me feel poisoned, and horrible. It raises serotonin too.

Recent case series suggest that chromium picolinate in doses of 400 microg daily may have antidepressant properties, perhaps through increasing the peripheral availability of tryptophan for brain serotonin (5-HT) synthesis.

yerrag

What caused it in your case?
My attempt to lyse my arterial plaque with proteolytic enzymes with a strong dosage led to it. I believe a lot of biofilm was disrupted, and this gave way to a very strong release and dispersal of p. gingivalis, a periodontal bacteria into my vascular system. It had been previously dormant. The biofilm that developed over 15+ years of latent periodontal infection is no trivial amount. Even after the affected two teeth were removed 2 years ago, the effects of the infection persist as the bacteria has formed a sizeable community in my vascular system, hidden dormant in the plaque. They've been let loose by my attempt to fix myself.

Slowly but surely I began to gain weight. I noticed my blood sugar wasn't as steady as a rock anymore. I would feel sleepy right after eating, and I would experience hunger, which I had stopped feeling for twenty years.

P. gingivalis would affect in cretins, which are peptides that are involved in insulin secretion. But this is new to me, and I couldn't explain it clearly enough yet to explain the mechanism that led to me gaining weight. I felt that immediately after a meal, when blood sugar is high, the body would normally not secrete insulin knowing that its normal to have high blood sugar after a meal. Perhaps this mechanism got disrupted and insulin was being secreted and this is causing the liver to convert blood sugar to fat.

I would put some links but I'm short on time. They're pretty involved reading and I'm still reading them in order to internalize and fully understand them.

n. b. When I had periodontal infection, the release of bacteria was limited by how much the bacterial colony released bacteria to my bloodstream, and the effect was probably minimized by the body's immune system, which can handle it properly. So it had no noticeable effect on my body's regulation of blood sugar. It may be sub-optimal, but tolerable. But the recent strong release of bacteria from lysed plaque from the vast vascular network - it probably overwhelmed my system and led p. gingivalis to do more disturbance to my blood sugar regulation.

Last edited:

schultz

Aspirin
Niacin
Progesterone
Pregnenelone
Vitamin D
Vitamin K
Thiamine
Coffee
Sodium
T3

Possibly something like bromocriptine.

sweetpeat

Interesting. Shame it lowers cortisol so much.
I would think for some people that might be an added benefit.

What I wonder is, once insulin sensitivity is restored (using any of the substances mentioned), can a person taper off and remain insulin sensitive? Or is it necessary to continue taking something? I would imagine the answer is probably that it depends on the person (like most things lol) but just curious if anyone has any thoughts.

Vinny

What the worst that could happen if normal store bought cinnamon is ingested? It's just a lot more easier to get hold of
Thanks
It, said that store bought might be a bit toxic, and doesn't do the trick also. However, can't prove my point with studies.

What the worst that could happen if normal store bought cinnamon is ingested? It's just a lot more easier to get hold of
Thanks
It doesn't have the effects of the true cinnamon. Buy some Ceylon cinnamon, it's cheap. 1 TBS is enough to feel effects.

yerrag

It doesn't have the effects of the true cinnamon. Buy some Ceylon cinnamon, it's cheap. 1 TBS is enough to feel effects.
I tablespoon in one dose? I got some. Should consider this dosage.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals