Vibration Platform

Ideonaut

I got a vibration platform (Confidence Fitness--$250 on amazon.com) the other day and have been enjoying it.
It definitely works out my leg muscles. Among other things claimed for it are that it increases metabolism, improves lymph flow, and strengthens bones. IF it indeed increases metabolism, seems like it might be good from a Peat perspective. I don't know how it fits into Peat's concentric/ eccentric scheme. Any thoughts or knowledge?

Nokoni

I got a vibration platform (Confidence Fitness--$250 on amazon.com) the other day and have been enjoying it.
It definitely works out my leg muscles. Among other things claimed for it are that it increases metabolism, improves lymph flow, and strengthens bones. IF it indeed increases metabolism, seems like it might be good from a Peat perspective. I don't know how it fits into Peat's concentric/ eccentric scheme. Any thoughts or knowledge?
After seeing your post I did some research and ordered the same one. Should be here tomorrow. I had never even heard of such things, so many thanks for sharing here. How's it working out for you?

OP
Ideonaut

Ideonaut

After seeing your post I did some research and ordered the same one. Should be here tomorrow. I had never even heard of such things, so many thanks for sharing here. How's it working out for you?
You're welcome. It's working great, thanks. I use it every day and can tell it works out my legs and gets my circulation going. Quite stimulating after sitting at a computer for a few hrs. and time-efficient too. I know a very busy writer who uses it and swears by it.

Waynish

Can be therapeutic but the claims of increasing stress and "gravity" become decreasingly true the further away from the plate-contact point you move.

Nokoni

The Orgasmatron 2100, ready for blast-off :)
Orgasmatron2.jpg

Herbie

My main concern with these type of machines including treadmills is EMF

CoolTweetPete

My main concern with these type of machines including treadmills is EMF

Also. We have a very fancy one at the gym I work at and I can't help but notice a little brain fog after using it for 15-20 min at 2.4GHz.

Does wonders for muscle recovery though.

Nokoni

I just got what felt like a good workout on mine in 10 minutes at 45 speed--8 minutes various standing and squating positions and 2 minutes push-up position with motion.
Very nice. Still way too early to tell but I'm pretty optimistic. Day 2 and I did 10 minutes on 10. Gotta ease in due to an iffy back. Started the whole fam damily on it today. Well, except for the cats. That may prove tricky :)

Nokoni

Miracle. It's a straight up miracle. This thing ain't no mere orgasmatron, it's a friggin Lazarus machine. I am risen from the dead.

I've got a bad back. Thirty years ago I ruptured a disk in my lower back doing squats, and I've been dealing with it ever since. Tweak it a couple times a year, no big deal, take it easy for a few days, but every few years a pretty debilitating event where it'll be a month or three before the pain subsides all the way back down to permit moving freely again.

But the frequency gradually increased until this past year where I've had three or four such biggies. They're bleeding into one another. So great, thanks to RP, RPF, Haidut, and H's little shop of magic, my metabolism is rocking, my neurons are popping, my manhood is proud, and I'm feeling great, but only to end up as the sharpest and healthiest vegetable in the assisted-living garden? And dragging this thing into the house (it's heavy), getting it out of the box, putting it together, and riding it for 15 minutes over 2 days, and I'm back in a world of hurt. Just this morning I was literally contemplating... Doctors! Maybe offer myself up as a plaything to the apathetic sawbones and their hammers and tongs.

But then!

So even the reviews on this thing said maybe not so good with a bad back. But my research said there were potentially great benefits, and I want those bennies. Hmmm, maybe if I lie on my back on the floor and just lay my legs across the platform I could at least get some goodness on my legs and not aggravate the back. Worth a try.

So I fired it up and went 10 minutes at level 20, hoping I'd still be able to shuffle at all when it was over. After the beep I crawled carefully back to my feet, and yeah, I could stand, in fact I could stand straight. And I could walk, sans shuffle even. JFC, I was better! Never ever saw that coming. That just, nuh-uh, does not happen. I once got a cortisone shot up in there through the hole in the bottom of the spine with a horse hypodermic that was blow the top of your skull off painful going in, but, wow, was it effective. But it was no way as effective as this. I got weeks worth of improvement, in mere minutes.

So, a couple lessons. 1. If you've got back trouble, approach with some caution. This thing has real and powerful physiological effects. It may be that not all of them are beneficial for all people.

2. If you've got a ruptured disk low on the spine, you gotta try this thing, lying on the floor, of course. It may be effective for mid-spine or even neck but I couldn't say. If it was me, I'd try it, but if it's a low back rupture, I'd think the odds you also experience a miracle are pretty good.

Still unknown is if my back continues improvement from here. I got like 90% or better relief of symptoms in 10 minutes and I fully expect to continue to get better, but I'm literally on day one of the experiment. If that turns out not to be the case, I'll let you know.

Also unknown is if perhaps this thing, with continued use, will effect a true permanent fix. That would be wonderful, but even if it just gets me promptly back on my feet it's tremendous. I'll never live without one the rest of my days. Note also that all I've talked about here is one benefit, and it's not even one I ran across in my research. There are many more discussed in the research.

And finally, I'd never even heard of this form of therapy before finding out about it here. So my thanks to RPF, and to @Ideonaut , thank you, thank you, thank you. I love you bro (no homo) :)

Dave Clark

Anybody else tried it?
I bought one last year for $800, but when I read that it may not be good for someone who has spinal issues, I put it in storage, since I have had a herniated thoratic disc in the past, and like just about everyone over 40, a bit of disc degeneration in my lumbar, etc. Right now I am unsure about the usefulness or safety of these vibration machines for people with spinal issues, so until I am convinced this unit won't aggravate my problems, I am shelving it. Maybe if I feel brave I may try it for a short time and see how I feel.

Motif

Why not start slowly?

What I recognize after using a vibration massage machine is that my scalp itching and so the hair loss is gone. That's pretty impressive

Bingo

I think it's great you are having good experience with your vibration platform. There are some people who seem to really benefit. I had one and decided to get rid of it. I found that posture on the platform had to be perfect or I would end up with a headache and neck pain. It was just too easy to be tightening up some muscles and transfer all that shaking to the neck and head. I read somewhere in the vast quotes of Peat that people who drive cars for a living are exposed to higher levels of vibrations, and they have higher incidents of health/brain problems. I can't use a mini trampoline either. Too much shaking up for me.

OP
Ideonaut

Ideonaut

I think it's great you are having good experience with your vibration platform. There are some people who seem to really benefit. I had one and decided to get rid of it. I found that posture on the platform had to be perfect or I would end up with a headache and neck pain. It was just too easy to be tightening up some muscles and transfer all that shaking to the neck and head. I read somewhere in the vast quotes of Peat that people who drive cars for a living are exposed to higher levels of vibrations, and they have higher incidents of health/brain problems. I can't use a mini trampoline either. Too much shaking up for me.
yes it looks like it is possible to overdo it and staying within recommended limits is prudent. Safety and severity of accelerations delivered from whole body vibration exercise devices to standing adults I think I'll avoid the higher frequencies on mine. thanks for the heads-up.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals