The Skin Function: A Factor Of Anti-metabolic Syndrome

Amazoniac

- The skin function: a factor of anti-metabolic syndrome

"Xenobiotic-metabolizing phase I and II enzymes are expressed differently in various tissues, determining the antioxidant capacity of a given tissue or organ. The skin expresses all known phase I and II enzymes, such as cytochrome P450 enzymes, flavin-dependent monooxygenase, monoamine oxidase, alcohol dehydrogenase, aldehyde dehydrogenase, NADP(H): quinone oxidoreductase, glutathione S-transferase, and catechol-O-methyhransferase [14, 48]. The xenobiotic-metabolizing enzymes are induced in response to xenobiotic exposure [49, 50]. Moreover, endogenous bioactive and toxic substances, such as catecholamines and steroids [48–51], are also substrates of phase I and II enzymes. Moreover, the skin is also equipped with an antioxidant system. For example, the skin expresses superoxide dismutase, catalase, and glutathione peroxidase, which can remove ROS [52]."

"The skin also acts as an excretory organ. It is estimated that 3 to 4 million eccrine sweat glands which together roughly weigh the same as one kidney (i.e., 100 g) are distributed over almost the entire human body surface. An individual can perspire as much as several liters per hour and approximately 10 liters per day [11]. [Cellular respiration yields then a daily amount that's close to what a CrossFitter consumes] Water-soluble exogenous and endogenous toxic/bioactive substances, such as metals [11], drugs [10], cytokines [53], and steroids [54], can be eliminated in the sweat. Genuis et al.[55] analyzed for approximately 120 various compounds, including toxic elements, and found that many toxic elements appeared to be preferentially excreted through sweat. It is worth noting that some xenobiotics that are rarely excreted in the urine without being metabolized, but can be excreted in the sweat. For example, excess nicotinamide cannot be eliminated through urine because of its reabsorption by the renal tubules, but it can be effectively excreted by the sweat gland [29]."

"[..]sauna has been found to alleviate symptoms of intoxication [57, 58] and improve lifestyle-related diseases [59–61]. The beneficial effect of saunas is thought to be related sweat-mediated elimination of toxic substances from the body [61]. Although not proved, increased skin temperature-induced changes in the activity of xenobiotic- and ROS-metabolizing enzymes may also contribute to the beneficial effect of sauna. Thus, it appears that sweating might be an important antioxidant mechanism, especially for individuals who have a genetic enzymatic defect in dealing with xenobiotics and ROS."

"It is known that there are two major pathways for the elimination of water-soluble compounds (including excessive nutrients) from the circulation: urine and sweat. As for the elimination of excessive circulating lipids and fat-soluble substances, sebum secretion may be an important pathway, though this factor has received little attention in the investigation of lipid homeostasis."

"The skin function is affected by external factors, such as lifestyles and working conditions [67]. Among known factors, temperature may be probably the most important. The optimum temperature for human enzymes, including skin biotransformation enzymes [12, 68], is about 37 °C. The activity of enzymes in internal organs is rather stable, because the core temperature of the body is maintained at a constant level close to 37 °C; but the activity of skin enzymes changes with the skin temperature, which is considerably affected by ambient temperature [69]. Moreover, the activity of sweat glands is also conditional. During heat exposure, increases in body temperature trigger cutaneous vasodilation and sweating. With hyperthermia in humans, blood flow to the skin can increase from approximately 250 mL/min in thermoneutral environments to as much as 6 to 8 L/min or 60% of the cardiac output [70]. A heat exposure-induced increase in blood flow to the skin and the skin temperature could, in theory, increase: 1) the activity of skin enzymes; 2) the probability of enzymes catching toxic substances in the circulation; 3) sweat-mediated elimination of toxic substances, because water-soluble toxic substances can be excreted in sweat [10, 11, 53, 54]; and 4) sebum-mediated elimination of circulating lipids and cholesterol, because sebum secretion is temperature-dependent [71–73]. All of these changes during heat exposure strengthen the body’s antioxidant defense and increase the excretion of circulating lipids and cholesterol. On the contrary, upon exposure to cold environments, blood flow to the skin decreases via cutaneous vasoconstriction [70], which results in a decrease in the functions of the skin. Obviously, changes in skin function might lead to changes in the body's total antioxidant capacity."

"The body usually does not sweat at room temperature (i.e., living a sedentary lifestyle), which may reduce sweat-mediated elimination of toxic substances and excess nutrients from the body. In contrast, sweating-inducing factors, such as sauna and exercise, can facilitate the elimination, as discussed above. Unfortunately, in most studies on sedentary lifestyle and exercise and their relationship with MetS and related diseases, the accompanying changes in skin contribution to the body’s antioxidant capacity are usually neglected."

"It might be worth noting that exercise might be a double-edged sword, for it also increases the generation of ROS and subsequent risk of oxidative stress [80]. Moreover, not everyone is healthy enough for exercise that induces sweating. In contrast, sweating induced by exposure to a hot environment (natural sweating) could not only effectively eliminate toxic substances from the body, but it also avoid the generation of ROS through muscle activity. Theoretically, natural sweating might be more effective and practical than exercise-induced sweating in the prevention and treatment of MetS."

"Metabolic disorders share two common features: 1) regional differences in their prevalence and 2) seasonal variations in their symptoms and signs. The prevalence of MetS and related diseases in high-latitude regions is higher than that in low-latitude regions; for example, the prevalence of hypertension, obesity and cardiovascular disease is higher in North China than in South China [99–101]. Blood pressure also shows seasonal fluctuations (higher in cold season) [85, 102]. Kamezaki et al. found that the prevalence rates of MetS are higher in winter than in summer [85]. One of the most compelling factors contributing to the seasonal and regional variations may be temperature. Indeed, two recent studies after three-year observations have found a negative correlation between blood pressure and outside temperature [103, 104]. Kimura and colleagues found that a 1 °C decrease in the mean outdoor temperature was associated with rises of 0.43 mmHg in systolic blood pressure and 0.29 mmHg in diastolic blood pressure [103]. Hozawa et al. reported that when the outside temperature was ≥ 10 °C, 1 °C increment of outside temperature corresponded to 0.40 and 0.28 mmHg decrease of systolic blood pressure and diastolic blood pressure [104]. Thus, it is possible that the skin may mediate the association between blood pressure fluctuations and ambient temperature, because the skin is more vulnerable to environmental temperature than other organs in the body."

"Catecholamines, which mediate the cardiovascular effects of the adrenergic nervous system, are degraded/inactivated by monoamine oxidase and catechol-O-methyhransferase [105]. An increase in the degradation of catecholamines generates more end metabolites (i.e., homovanillic acid and vanillylmandelic acid), while a decrease in the degradation might result in an increase in the levels of circulating catecholamines [17]. The skin expresses monoamine oxidase and catechol-O-methyhransferase [48], and thus might play a role in the inactivation of circulating catecholamines."​

@meatbag

AnonE

Does this mean sweating could be good, by removing toxins? I do feel great everytime I force myself to do a boring 30min cardio session.

shine

I like to do my workouts wearing a hoodie to really get a sweat on. I can tolerate exercise and usually feel cleansed/detoxified after it. I take a cold shower after it and then take a warm bath. Makes me feel really good.

I like to do my workouts wearing a hoodie to really get a sweat on. I can tolerate exercise and usually feel cleansed/detoxified after it. I take a cold shower after it and then take a warm bath. Makes me feel really good.
Do you smell too much or at all? And if so, how do you cope with that?

shine

Do you smell too much or at all? And if so, how do you cope with that?

I use 1 mg androsterone daily, so people can usually smell me from 20 yards away. :D
But regarding stinky sweat, I regularly shower/take baths and wash my clothes, so there is no issue with that.
I also don't think that having a masculine body odor is something to be ashamed of or something that you have to cope with.
If you smell like a male and other people feel uncomfortable because of it, it is their problem, not yours.