Winter warming breakfast for outside workers

OP
P

Peater

I have been thinking about your original question as well. I am a couple of years in on discovery of Peat, and 56 yo who currently works outside in Colorado. I have to be out the door at 6:35. I have been making coffee this way: I use 1 percent store bought milk. Add as much as you want to a sauce pan. (I make enough for a big mug, or two, at breakfast plus 32 ounces to take in a thermos) To the saucepan I add salt, sugar and Medaglia D'oro instant espresso coffee and whisk it all up. (This coffee is not made with water) If I feel particularly needy I will add some cacao butter nibs. (But I am struggling a bit with belly fat) I sip on this whenever during the day.

For a while I was eating 3 eggs for breakfast. But sometimes eggs do not sound good and I'll eat cereal or cheese or something. For me I've found that the sweet salty coffee is kind of the backbone of my calories and it doesn't much matter what I do for food, it will be alright as long as no PUFAs and it doesn't bother digestion too much.

I also am intending on making some true nixtamalized corn (masa) but haven't had time yet.

(I edited a word)
You know what's like having to be up and ready early then! That sounds delicious - it's a latte, basically. I was wondering about doing the same thing myself, but with one of those steamer things they use in coffee shops, that wouldn't take long in the morning. Belly fat for me is hormone driven I suspect, but like you, I don't want it to get any worse. I'm not overly fat, just not as lean or as balanced from a body fat perspective as I would prefer.

You probably understand that fine line between enough calories to be warm and have a good metabolism, and it going straight to your belly, too.

Also, I have to dress wisely. Layers is the way for me. I need wind protection, like keeping it from blowing down my neck. I kind of wear a "uniform", the same clothes everyday, because I know how they respond. I very often get younger people asking if I'm okay, that I'm warm enough, how are my toes and such. They call me in if there is a squall. I recently didn't see the text and got rebuked for not coming in.

That's really nice that they were concerned. I don't think you'd get that camaraderie here.

GTW

A friend complained about cold hands and feet in wintertime even with good winter clothing. It was not because of diet but a particular dysregulation condition. If he left upper shirt and jacket partly open exposure to cold air in that area (thyroid, solar plexus?) restored circulation and warmth. Probably there's a technical name for the pathology.

SonOfEurope

Hot chocolate (clean source) is very warming and makes you last outside longer, good bread with butter for the calories.

FrenchKiwi

You know what's like having to be up and ready early then! That sounds delicious - it's a latte, basically. I was wondering about doing the same thing myself, but with one of those steamer things they use in coffee shops, that wouldn't take long in the morning. Belly fat for me is hormone driven I suspect, but like you, I don't want it to get any worse. I'm not overly fat, just not as lean or as balanced from a body fat perspective as I would prefer.

You probably understand that fine line between enough calories to be warm and have a good metabolism, and it going straight to your belly, too.

That's really nice that they were concerned. I don't think you'd get that camaraderie here.
Ideally, a nice sweet coffee with lots of milk or cream would be an excellent addition to a hearty, warming breakfast, but I gain weight so fast when I do this. Even a slight surplus in calories on a pro metabolic diet makes me gain fat

ursidae

sprouted lentils + some of that fancy stearic acid spread sold by the croissant diet guy+ 5 or 10 grams of glycine did the trick during a really rough winter project a couple years back. In fact I dont reccomend this recipe unless you're planning on cold exposure, it raises my temperature over 1° F for 5 hours pretty reliably. Oh, and you'll want a toilet close about 12 hours later, so be sure to include that in your calculations.
you've piqued my interest
what kind of sprouted lentils ? Red, green, black? (brand if bought)
any side effects of this many grams of an isolated amino?

I've been hearing legends of peating superhumans shoveling snow in flip flops and shorts, maybe they could pitch in

Peatress

I've been hearing legends of peating superhumans shoveling snow in flip flops and shorts, maybe they could pitch in
LOL @Jennifer

OP
P

Peater

A friend complained about cold hands and feet in wintertime even with good winter clothing. It was not because of diet but a particular dysregulation condition. If he left upper shirt and jacket partly open exposure to cold air in that area (thyroid, solar plexus?) restored circulation and warmth. Probably there's a technical name for the pathology.
It's certainly something I can try easily enough.

Hot chocolate (clean source) is very warming and makes you last outside longer, good bread with butter for the calories.

Agreed, can't beat a big mug of sweet cocoa when it's cold, unfortunately this is only possible for me at home.

Ideally, a nice sweet coffee with lots of milk or cream would be an excellent addition to a hearty, warming breakfast, but I gain weight so fast when I do this. Even a slight surplus in calories on a pro metabolic diet makes me gain fat

It's so confusing and frustrating...

That beef/egg/potato skillet does reheat well, yes.

Cheers!

OP
P

Peater

I forgot to mention I also take a 300mg aspirin to boost metabolism and try to reduce stress.

FrenchKiwi

It's certainly something I can try easily enough.

Agreed, can't beat a big mug of sweet cocoa when it's cold, unfortunately this is only possible for me at home.

It's so confusing and frustrating...

Cheers!
I can confirm that my valrhona Cocoa drink makes me hotter than anything I have ever eaten. I literally start to sweat

akgrrrl

Masa porridge from coffee and chocolate is how the Maya/mexico has done it for generations.
Make your coffee and transfer to a pan over med heat.
Add a big pinch of salt, scoop of sugar, few shakes of real Ceylon cinnamon (not the fake cinnamon often in grocery stores actually Cassia)
Then chocolate. Either cocoa, choc chips, bar chocolate, stir it.
Put a scoop of masa in a fair amount of whole milk and blend well, then pouring into hot bubbling coffee until it cooks and subsequently thickens.
All amounts are obviously to taste and how much coffee you start with. Make enough to put in a thermos prewarmed with hot water!
The families I lived with drink this while working outdoors in the mountains from 5am to about 9. Then they get a campfire snack breakfast taco or pan dulce with fresh hot coffee until the midday meal.

akgrrrl

I
Also, I have to dress wisely. Layers is the way for me. I need wind protection, like keeping it from blowing down my neck. I kind of wear a "uniform", the same clothes everyday, because I know how they respond. I very often get younger people asking if I'm okay, that I'm warm enough, how are my toes and such. They call me in if there is a squall. I recently didn't see the text and got rebuked for not coming in.
I so appreciate your post overall. Fueling aside, the younger generations know very little about choosing fiber for their layers. Most just go for synthetics without regard for estrogenic properties and lifelong exposure effects to polys...and remain ignorant about 30types of "wool" or other fur fibers. Even here, I taught classes for 16yrs right below the 66th parallel on survival and many never heard "cotton kills" or why...thanks for bringing warmth to this thread.

Jennifer

Hehe…

@Peater, I’m not sure if this will be helpful but for breakfast for my dad and I, I bake and freeze large batches of egg muffins, cheesy hash brown casserole and spice fruit compôte—apple, pear, peach and cherry with dried raisins, sultanas and figs, honey or raw sugar, cinnamon, vanilla bean and salted butter—so that in the morning, we can just pull them out of the freezer and reheat them in the microwave. My breakfast in the winter typically includes an egg muffin, compôte, a cup of sweetened tisane and a hot white chocolate—just raw milk with a square of Green & Black’s white chocolate added. In case you’re interested, below are the egg muffin and cheesy hash brown casserole recipes I use. I make my dad’s egg muffins with sausage and bacon and mine meatless with extra cheese:

I used red lentils, only the nice markets around me had them sprouted and I think that makes a big difference.
As for the glycine, I mixed it in with the Lentils thoroughly, along with the aforementioned spread.

glycine on it's own is terrible, like a nicotine overdose for me. I including it in an attempt to minimize mechanical irritation during digestion. if I made this stuff again I would add 2 G. taurine, more than likely not bother with the glycine. taurine seems more thermogenic and is cheaper and more available.

Jhi66

I so appreciate your post overall. Fueling aside, the younger generations know very little about choosing fiber for their layers. Most just go for synthetics without regard for estrogenic properties and lifelong exposure effects to polys...and remain ignorant about 30types of "wool" or other fur fibers. Even here, I taught classes for 16yrs right below the 66th parallel on survival and many never heard "cotton kills" or why...thanks for bringing warmth to this thread.
akgrrrl, you are super knowledgeable about textiles. I guess that is something else to dive into.

GTW

Even a person with relatively low body fat has enough stored energy to live for many days without eating calories of any kind.
Once adapted, people go without breakfast but are quite comfortable in the cold. Traditionally in rural farm homes people did their chores, outdoors and in unheated barn, several hours of work, before eating any substantial food.
If you are not adapted, the food you eat for breakfast is a stimulus in the context of your current metabolic state.

akgrrrl

T
akgrrrl, you are super knowledgeable about textiles. I guess that is something else to dive into.
Thanks, but in full disclosure, I have been an exotic textiles collector for 45yrs, and purveyor of natural and fur fiber garments, handknotted rugs, furs, and misc handwoven textiles from all over the world. Also restoration of, general care, and value assessing.

OP
P

Peater

Hehe…

@Peater, I’m not sure if this will be helpful but for breakfast for my dad and I, I bake and freeze large batches of egg muffins, cheesy hash brown casserole and spice fruit compôte—apple, pear, peach and cherry with dried raisins, sultanas and figs, honey or raw sugar, cinnamon, vanilla bean and salted butter—so that in the morning, we can just pull them out of the freezer and reheat them in the microwave. My breakfast in the winter typically includes an egg muffin, compôte, a cup of sweetened tisane and a hot white chocolate—just raw milk with a square of Green & Black’s white chocolate added. In case you’re interested, below are the egg muffin and cheesy hash brown casserole recipes I use. I make my dad’s egg muffins with sausage and bacon and mine meatless with extra cheese:

You're not looking for a lodger are you by any chance?

:mrgreen:

Jennifer

You're not looking for a lodger are you by any chance?

:mrgreen:

Haha! If you don’t mind snow and living fairly isolated in the woods, sure, come on over. :):

OP
P

Peater

Haha! If you don’t mind snow and living fairly isolated in the woods, sure, come on over. :):
I've just seen you're in New Hampshire - funny old world, I guess that makes where I used to live 'Old Hampshire'!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom